On 20 Oct 2006 09:25:05 -0700, "Alex O." <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:I'd like to piggy back on this thread.
I'm a complete newb (last time I owned a bicycle was about 25 years
ago), looking for a bicycle.
It will mostly be used for commuting to work (10-15km each way, Toronto
weather permitting) but I'd like it to be able to withstand a dirt road
once in a while (in a park with the family) and/or a toddler in a child
seat in the back.
I'd prefer a reasonably comfortable ride, especially easy on the back
:-)
And, most importantly, something that comes in smaller sizes, for a
5'3" - 5'4" male.
Unfortunately, I don't even know where to start.
Type: Hybrid? Mountain? Comfort (whatever it is)?
Some people recommended a hybrid without a front suspension.
Frame: Aluminium? Steel?
Some people told me that Al is too "stiff"
Size: Frame size? Wheel size?
As I said above, I'm short.
Price: I don't like to spend too much on the bike.
Please advise!
I'd like to get a bike at the show tomorrow
(http://www.telsec.net/bicycleshow/html_pages/fallshow.html)
Thank you,
Alex.
I don't know about sizing, but I use a Trek 7100 hybrid to commute.
It's around US$300. That's about the bottom that you can spend for a
decent bike I think. I've put about 14,000 miles on it so far and have
upgraded the cassette and tires/wheels to make them a bit tougher.
It's aluminum and I don't know what stiff means; I'm not racing it and
I'm not climbing mountains either . I really don't need the front
suspension I suppose, and after a few winters of commuting, it's sort
of getting to the point that it no longer has one. I oil it and stuff
but it's really starting to stick quite a bit. I don't know how easy
it is to find a bike that doesn't have one though.
It has grip shifts, which the OP doesn't like, but I find very useful
for winter commuting since I use battery heated mittens when it gets
much below freezing. I have the thumb/finger type shifters on a
mountain bike, and I like them a lot, but I can't use them with
mittens and no gloves on earth keep my fingers warm.
I do like the hybrid positioning better than road or mountain. I don't
like riding hunched over; the only downside is riding into the wind
and being pretty upright. At that point you wish for a road bike, but
it doesn't happen very often. I have to watch for traffic, and I find
it tough if my head is facing down and I'm trying to look forward all
the time.
I would spend more on a bike at this point, maybe the 7300 which is
just under $500, but I have to park it outside in New York City and it
just isn't worth doing. If I had an indoor place to put it, I'd buy it
in a second.
I thought hybrid and comfort were sort of the same thing, but I think
comfort tends to come with those big butt seats. You don't need those
if the bike fits right. My understanding is that your weight should be
distributed among your feet, butt, and arms. Obviously a hybrid does
place more of the weight on the butt, but you should have enough of it
on the feet and arms so that your butt doesn't get sore. I never
notice that as an issue and could probably use a lighter seat than I
have.
Good luck with whatever you get. You have a fairly short commute and
it should be fun and easy to do. Mine is 15 miles each way, from the
middle of Queens to the southern tip of Manhattan. It goes by pretty
quickly though.