Hi all,
I am 28 years old and recently I start to go to gym. I don't have anybody to
consult with so it is a little chaotic.
My primary goal is to improve overall health and fitness. I am a computer
engineer and my work requires working on computers 14+ hours a day. This
eats my health a lot. And for very long time I have been feeling very weak.
Walking 1 mile will already make me tired. I have no muscles at all. I
easily feel tired doing anything. I had chronic bronchitis and chronic
dyspepsia/dyspepsy/indigestion also due to computer work only with no time
to relax. I think due to being under stress for long time, I have also a
little bit choronic fatigue and sleeping difficulty -- I cannot go to sleep
easily and tend to wake up early and very easily disturbed. My eyesightness
is poor and in study and work I don't concentrate myself very well and
easily fall asleep. My heart is also very faint and weak. Whenever there is
a flu or change of weather, I am easier getting sick than most other people.
I am 1.75 meters tall and weigh 150 pound. I don't have other physical
problems other than the above problems...
So a few weeks ago I begin to worry about myself and my health condition. I
don't want to get "premature senility".
I started to go to gym following other people. My primary goal is to imporve
overall health and fitness. Secondary goal is to build at least some
mulscles to make myself stronger. I don't want to lose weight, in fact I
guess my weight is OK. But I do have some small belly on my stomach and it
is better to get rid of... but if I don't have enough time, leaving them
there should be not a problem.
There are so many devices in the gym and I really feel puzzled. I heard that
they train different muscles. But my primary goal is to improve overall
health and fitness.
I plan to go to the gym twice a week (40 minutes each time, so far I only
know how to use those weights... there are running machines... but I don't
know how to use them and what should be criteria to meet for my
exercises...) and play tennis twice a week (1 hour each time) and go
hiking/moutain climbing once a week ( 3-5 miles mountainous road each time).
My questions are:
1. Is this a good and most efficient plan to improve my overall health? Can
you suggest better plans?
2. What should I take as nuitution? I have meat and fish in my daily dietry.
I eat enough fruits since they are sweet. My problem is that I don't eat
enough vegetables. I don't know how to cook veggies. So I just eat salad
from safeway. But I can only eat half a dish from the Deli store of the
safeway for one meal. So I think I don't have enough veggies intake. I also
take Vitamins Centrum daily. I also plan to take Protein Shake, etc. But
there are so many choises and I got puzzled each time I visit Walmart or the
grocery store. Maybe a lot of them are overlapped.
3. Could you please suggest a good forum for consulting about all these
questions. since my goal is not quite body-building, I did not find a good
forum to consult other people yet. Please point me to some good online
resources. I also like to see online "nutrition" forums...
Thank you so much!