General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Newbie : Burning calories with swimming?

Started by Rich · · Last activity · 11 posts · 75,902 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 November 2003
Last activity
23 November 2003
Original author
Rich
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
75,902
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many calories
    can I burn swimming? How long will it take?

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

  2. [email hidden] (Rich) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
    calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    As many calories as you can waste in swimming can be easily eaten back. You will become
    stronger and keep being fat. The only way of losing fat is watching your meals, that is,
    you must keep eating that same you eat now or less, plus a lot of new exercizing. Nothing
    fancy here!

    Nelson

  3. (Rich) said:

    I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?

    Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the point
    where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of running. You
    can shortcut the process somewhat by using shorter zoomer style fins for a portion (maybe 30 - 40%)
    of your total swimming workout. Once you learn the basic stroke techniques, one of your greatest
    limiting factors will be lack of conditioning in the upper body. This takes a long time.

    Also, keep in mind that swimming causes a different metabolic profile than running. By that, I mean
    that compared to running, swimming is fueled more by carbohydrate metabolism and less by fat
    metabolism. Thus, if you want to loose weight swimming, you should be eating less fat than you did
    for an equal time spent running. You'll also want to try reducing overall food intake a bit, but if
    you take it too far, you'll end up feeling crappy in the pool. In the end, it will be a trial and
    error process.

    Quoted message said:

    How many calories can I burn swimming?

    See above.

    Quoted message said:

    How long will it take?

    depends on how well and how much you eat and swim.

    Quoted message said:


    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

  4. For most people this seems to be true, but for me, even when all I did was swim, I was very thin.
    However, can you take a spinning class or use a recumbent bike? These burn a lot of calories, as
    does an elliptical trainer. Running causes me back problems so I have to limit it, but the
    elliptical trainer is an acceptable alternative for me. I know a man who lost 100 pounds and has
    kept it off with his diligent 1 hour/day on his home elliptical trainer (plus he cut out the
    ice-cream). Whatever you do needs to remain part of your permanent lifestyle for it to have lasting
    effects. Swimming, if not effective in weight loss for you, will certainly help tone you. Good luck.

    Marianne

    "nelson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Rich) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
    calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    As many calories as you can waste in swimming can be easily eaten back. You will become
    stronger and keep being fat. The only way of losing fat is watching your meals, that is,
    you must keep eating that same you eat now or less, plus a lot of new exercizing.
    Nothing fancy here!

    Nelson

  5. (nelson) said:

    [email hidden] (Rich) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
    calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    As many calories as you can waste in swimming can be easily eaten back. You will become
    stronger and keep being fat.

    That could be said of any exercise. I believe the hunger-inducing effects of exercise vary greatly
    from one individual to the next. Being a triathlete and so far only a mediocre swimmer, I find it
    fairly easy to control weight and appetite with a regimen of heavy swimming as I do in the winter.
    Two hours of swimming does not give me anywhere near the level of hunger as I might get from two
    hours of cycling or running.

    Quoted message said:

    The only way of losing fat is watching your meals, that is, you must keep eating that same you eat
    now or less, plus a lot of new exercizing.

    Not completely true - he could simply sit on the couch and eat way less. He could also train 40
    hours a week and eat like a horse.

    Quoted message said:

    Nothing fancy here!

    Nelson

  6. "M.W.Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message snip

    Quoted message said:

    I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
    assuming they both swim for an hour. An hour of swimming for an inefficient swimmer is exhausting.
    A proficient swimmer can do it easily. I suppose that a new swimmer will burn a lot of energy
    swimming for an hour.

    martin

    I'm not so sure. When I swim at my local YMCA on occasion I see individuals come in and swim lap
    after lap for 30 min or so, usually older folks but sometimes even middle age guys like me (i'll be
    37 in a month). They go ever so slow. and when they stop, they aren't even breating hard, I mean it
    literally looks like they just took a bath minus the soap.

    Now granted, it takes alot less energy for me to swim 800m in ten minutes then it would one of these
    fellows, even if they could do it at all, but when these guys come to the pool to exercise, I don't
    think they understand the concept of getting the heart rate elevated at all. You can tell who swims
    to train and who swims to "bathe". If aren't doing some sort of interval training in the pool,
    chances are you are a "bather", or as I refer to them on occasion when I have to share a lane with
    one of these people, a UFO (Unidentified Floating Object).

  7. We can't say why your doctor said to stop running, but running can be a great exercise and
    alternating with other exercises is great.

    As far as calories and swimming, if you want to burn more calories while simming, swim harder and
    faster. Then you'll get your heart rate up and burn lots of calories.

    Bob

    MJuric said:
    (Rich) said:

    I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
    calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    First bit of advice woudl be go see another doctor.

    Noakes states "Never take as a final word the word of a NON running doctor"

    I've been told no less than three times by doctors to "Quit running it'll ruin your knees" Yet
    after seeing a running PT the problem was usually cleared up in a couple of weeks.

    Second piece of advice, swimming good for burning calories, biking better, eating less best.

    ~Matt

  8. To give further testimony to FAT loss while swimming, I offer this. Two years ago I swam for 30
    minutes at a YMCA every morning before work. I mountain biked on weekends. I didn't change my diet
    at all, didn't lose one pound, but lost 3 dress sizes.

  9. M.W.Smith said:
    Radioactive Man said:
    (Rich) said:

    I am new to swimming.

    I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

    I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?

    Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the point
    where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of running.

    I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
    assuming they both swim for an hour.

    If both are putting out a paced, but maximal effort, I believe the proficient swimmer will burn more
    energy in an hour, provided both are actually swimming with reasonable technique. If you allow
    thrashing, all bets are off. As long as he/she continues swimming with reasonable technique, the
    less proficient swimmer will be limited by lactatic acid buildup in the upper body.

    Quoted message said:

    An hour of swimming for an inefficient swimmer is exhausting.

    And that is because his/her muscles fatigue quickly, since they're not conditioned for swimming

    Quoted message said:

    A proficient swimmer can do it easily. I suppose that a new swimmer will burn a lot of energy
    swimming for an hour.

    Only if he thrashes or uses fins. If he swims right, he'll just end up with tired arms.

    Quoted message said:


    martin

  10. Radioactive Man said:
    M.W.Smith said:
    Radioactive Man said:

    On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email hidden] (Rich) wrote:

    >I am new to swimming.
    >
    >I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
    >
    >I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?

    Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the point
    where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of running.

    I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
    assuming they both swim for an hour.

    If both are putting out a paced, but maximal effort, I believe the proficient swimmer will burn
    more energy in an hour, provided both are actually swimming with reasonable technique. If you
    allow thrashing, all bets are off. As long as he/she continues swimming with reasonable technique,
    the less proficient swimmer will be limited by lactatic acid buildup in the upper body.

    I get to invoke the law of the excluded middle here, or something. Proficient, in this case, means
    the swimmer knows how to swim well, so less proficient means more thrashing. If you don't allow
    thrashing, there isn't anything to compare. Proficiency refers to skill, not fitness. More skill
    means more speed for less effort. Less effort burns fewer calories.

    martin

  11. M.W.Smith said:
    Radioactive Man said:
    M.W.Smith said:

    Radioactive Man wrote:

    >On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email hidden] (Rich) wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>I am new to swimming.
    >>
    >>I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
    >>
    >>I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?
    >
    >
    >Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the
    >point where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of
    >running.

    I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
    assuming they both swim for an hour.

    If both are putting out a paced, but maximal effort, I believe the proficient swimmer will
    burn more energy in an hour, provided both are actually swimming with reasonable technique.
    If you allow thrashing, all bets are off. As long as he/she continues swimming with
    reasonable technique, the less proficient swimmer will be limited by lactatic acid buildup in
    the upper body.

    I get to invoke the law of the excluded middle here, or something. Proficient, in this case, means
    the swimmer knows how to swim well, so less proficient means more thrashing. If you don't allow
    thrashing, there isn't anything to compare. Proficiency refers to skill, not fitness. More skill
    means more speed for less effort. Less effort burns fewer calories.

    I think one can learn reasonable swim technique long before one achieves optimal conditioning for
    swimming. When such a swimmer tires out, he/she can either continue swimming with reasonable
    technique, but use fewer calories because the upper body muscles simply cannot maintain the caloric
    output. Or, he/she can thrash and keep up the same, or higher, level of caloric output by using
    muscles that don't contribute to propulsion.

    If you want to test this, try comparing your pace and breathing intensity during sprints vs. long
    distance while using a pull-buoy. After a long time swimming with the pull-buoy, most swimmers,
    including myself, are far more limited by tired arms than by breathing. If your O2 consumtion is
    close to normal, non-exercise levels over a long period of time, then so is your metabolism. Without
    the pull-buoy, inexperienced swimmers may thrash more when their arms tire, thus, they wind up
    thinking they have a "wind" problem, when, in fact, all they have is a thrashing problem and a lack
    of upper body conditioning.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.