Road Cycling · Public discussion

New Windsor Tourist bikes on eBay

Started by maxo · · Last activity · 7 posts · 648 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 March 2005
Last activity
12 April 2005
Original author
maxo
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
648
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been wanting a new cx/tour type drop bar do-anything bike for a
    while, but haven't had the bucks for what I consider the entry level bike
    in that category--the Novara Randonee.

    Now this guy is selling "Windsor Tourists" on Ebay for $550usd brand new.
    The spec is exactly what I want: cromo frame and fork, components are a
    mix of Tiagra, Deore, and Ritchey. Perfect.

    I don't mind buying on line--sizing is a non-issue as I
    measured my current well fitting bike and it jives with the Tourist, and
    I'm a good wrench myself and if it arrives with maladjusted anything, I'll
    be able to tweak it. My LBS sucks and I would rather eat glass than buy
    something big from them.

    Is this like those "Asian Motobecanes" that are too good to be true?

    550 for a 1500 (list) bike is mighty tempting.

  2. Maxo---

    This subject was discussed here before. I think if you Google it
    you'll find a long thread. I seem to remember the consensus was these bikes
    are basically a Fuji Touring. Should be a good deal.

  3. Quoted message said:

    I've been wanting a new cx/tour type drop bar do-anything bike for a
    while, but haven't had the bucks for what I consider the entry level bike
    in that category--the Novara Randonee.

    Now this guy is selling "Windsor Tourists" on Ebay for $550usd brand new.
    The spec is exactly what I want: cromo frame and fork, components are a
    mix of Tiagra, Deore, and Ritchey. Perfect.

    I don't mind buying on line--sizing is a non-issue as I
    measured my current well fitting bike and it jives with the Tourist, and
    I'm a good wrench myself and if it arrives with maladjusted anything, I'll
    be able to tweak it. My LBS sucks and I would rather eat glass than buy
    something big from them.

    Is this like those "Asian Motobecanes" that are too good to be true?

    550 for a 1500 (list) bike is mighty tempting.

    We just built one for a customer who bought one on-line. It's not even close
    to a $1500 value; not nearly as nice in build quality or componenets as, for
    example, a Trek 520 (which sells for $1100). I don't understand why people
    would trash a bike shop for whatever reasons but not find such deceptive
    advertising practices to be a giant red flag.

    If we were selling such a bike on the floor, I'd guess it's retail value to
    be around $750 or so, once it's fully set up. Of course, at a bike shop,
    that $750 includes a warranty. My guess is that you'll have a much tougher
    time with a frame failure (getting it taken care of) on a Windsor than on a
    name-brand bike. Best thing there is to run things backward and find out who
    actually imports them, how long the business has been around, what else they
    do, and whether you can get them to write a warranty that ties into
    something other than just their on-line persona.

    As for being like an "Asian Motobecane" well, that's exactly what it is. I
    don't have the box in front of me, so I don't recall if it was either Taiwan
    or Chinese in origin. Not that either of those is bad per se, but it bears
    no resemblance to the Windsor of old.

    If you want a project to work on, you'll have that, as it comes in a box
    "assembled" in the same manner as all such bikes. In our shop, that means
    about 2 hours of assembly and check-out to make sure everything's the way it
    ought to be. It's not something to be done by someone who's never trued
    wheels or set up brakes. If you've done overhauls on your own bikes before,
    no biggie.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  4. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been wanting a new cx/tour type drop bar do-anything bike for


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    while, but haven't had the bucks for what I consider the entry


    level bike

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in that category--the Novara Randonee.

    Now this guy is selling "Windsor Tourists" on Ebay for $550usd


    brand new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The spec is exactly what I want: cromo frame and fork, components


    are a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mix of Tiagra, Deore, and Ritchey. Perfect.

    I don't mind buying on line--sizing is a non-issue as I
    measured my current well fitting bike and it jives with the


    Tourist, and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm a good wrench myself and if it arrives with maladjusted


    anything, I'll

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be able to tweak it. My LBS sucks and I would rather eat glass than


    buy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    something big from them.

    Is this like those "Asian Motobecanes" that are too good to be


    true?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    550 for a 1500 (list) bike is mighty tempting.

    We just built one for a customer who bought one on-line. It's not


    even close

    Quoted message said:

    to a $1500 value; not nearly as nice in build quality or componenets


    as, for

    Quoted message said:

    example, a Trek 520 (which sells for $1100). I don't understand why


    people

    Quoted message said:

    would trash a bike shop for whatever reasons but not find such


    deceptive

    Quoted message said:

    advertising practices to be a giant red flag.

    If we were selling such a bike on the floor, I'd guess it's retail


    value to

    Quoted message said:

    be around $750 or so, once it's fully set up. Of course, at a bike


    shop,

    Quoted message said:

    that $750 includes a warranty. My guess is that you'll have a much


    tougher

    Quoted message said:

    time with a frame failure (getting it taken care of) on a Windsor


    than on a

    Quoted message said:

    name-brand bike. Best thing there is to run things backward and find


    out who

    Quoted message said:

    actually imports them, how long the business has been around, what


    else they

    Quoted message said:

    do, and whether you can get them to write a warranty that ties into
    something other than just their on-line persona.

    As for being like an "Asian Motobecane" well, that's exactly what it


    is. I

    Quoted message said:

    don't have the box in front of me, so I don't recall if it was either


    Taiwan

    Quoted message said:

    or Chinese in origin. Not that either of those is bad per se, but it


    bears

    Quoted message said:

    no resemblance to the Windsor of old.

    If you want a project to work on, you'll have that, as it comes in a


    box

    Quoted message said:

    "assembled" in the same manner as all such bikes. In our shop, that


    means

    Quoted message said:

    about 2 hours of assembly and check-out to make sure everything's the


    way it

    Quoted message said:

    ought to be. It's not something to be done by someone who's never


    trued

    Quoted message said:

    wheels or set up brakes. If you've done overhauls on your own bikes


    before,

    Quoted message said:

    no biggie.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Oh, please. The Windsor Tourist as a Fuji touring under a different
    label. It's made in Taiwan and at $600 delivered is a far better value
    than a Trek 520 for double that...plus it has a proper threaded quill,
    unlike the Trek. A friend just bought a $800 + tax Specialized Sequoia
    at a LBS and it only came with Sora shifters/brake levers and I have
    Tiagra. The components are of very good quality for that price and it
    comes 95% set up. The instructions that come with it suck. I bought one
    and had it assembled in under two hours using instructions for the
    shifters from the Shimano web site (they are very good). Hardest part
    was the front deraileur and that was not hard at all. Rear deraileur
    was spot on from the factory. Wheels are true. The welds are good
    machine quality and the paint job is very good (not crazy about the
    color, but so what?)

    I've only got about 100 miles on it so far. Have added Planet Bike
    fenders, Planet Bike speedometer/odometer, Specialized Milano leather
    saddle (did not care for the supplied saddle although it looked good
    quality, personal thing), Tektro auxiliary brake levers, ritchey
    clipless pedals. No problem mounting any of it. Bike rides smoothly.
    Shifts easy and securely. Brakes are fine. No light-weight, but that's
    not what I was looking for. Altogether, I have about $100 in add-ons on
    it. I don't think anyone can match this as a touring bike for the $700
    I have in it.

    There are really few choices in true touring bikes at under $1000
    making this bike a screaming bargain. The $1500 "retail" price is pure
    puffery and no sensible person believes it for a second. More
    reasonable retail would be something like $800 or $900. The seller
    (BikesDirect) is silly to inflate the retail that much.

    It's a keeper.

  5. Quoted message said:

    There are really few choices in true touring bikes at under $1000
    making this bike a screaming bargain. The $1500 "retail" price is pure
    puffery and no sensible person believes it for a second. More
    reasonable retail would be something like $800 or $900. The seller
    (BikesDirect) is silly to inflate the retail that much.

    But that "pure puffery" actually sucks people in, and severely distorts the
    actual worth of the bike. And the assembly we did with the bike we built was
    as time consuming as any other; done to high standards, it's easily a 2+
    hour job (including stress-releiving wheels, lubricating all threaded
    surfaces, removing & properly re-torqueing cranks & bottom bracket etc).
    Plus whatever fitting services a decent shop would be doing.

    There's also the warranty issue... there is, in fact, no "Motobecane"
    company anymore, just a name. No address or phone number either, just an
    email drop. No local dealers that I can discover either.

    That doesn't make it a bad bike for the money. It could be a good deal for
    someone who's mechanically inclined, not concerned about warranty issues,
    knows the type of riding they want to do, have a clue about size and can see
    the bike for the value it actually is (vs what's claimed). And there are
    definitely people in this newsgroup that fit that definition! But that's not
    the public at large.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com

    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
    "nopcbs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been wanting a new cx/tour type drop bar do-anything bike for


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    while, but haven't had the bucks for what I consider the entry


    level bike

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in that category--the Novara Randonee.

    Now this guy is selling "Windsor Tourists" on Ebay for $550usd


    brand new.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The spec is exactly what I want: cromo frame and fork, components


    are a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mix of Tiagra, Deore, and Ritchey. Perfect.

    I don't mind buying on line--sizing is a non-issue as I
    measured my current well fitting bike and it jives with the


    Tourist, and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm a good wrench myself and if it arrives with maladjusted


    anything, I'll

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be able to tweak it. My LBS sucks and I would rather eat glass than


    buy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    something big from them.

    Is this like those "Asian Motobecanes" that are too good to be


    true?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    550 for a 1500 (list) bike is mighty tempting.

    We just built one for a customer who bought one on-line. It's not


    even close

    Quoted message said:

    to a $1500 value; not nearly as nice in build quality or componenets


    as, for

    Quoted message said:

    example, a Trek 520 (which sells for $1100). I don't understand why


    people

    Quoted message said:

    would trash a bike shop for whatever reasons but not find such


    deceptive

    Quoted message said:

    advertising practices to be a giant red flag.

    If we were selling such a bike on the floor, I'd guess it's retail


    value to

    Quoted message said:

    be around $750 or so, once it's fully set up. Of course, at a bike


    shop,

    Quoted message said:

    that $750 includes a warranty. My guess is that you'll have a much


    tougher

    Quoted message said:

    time with a frame failure (getting it taken care of) on a Windsor


    than on a

    Quoted message said:

    name-brand bike. Best thing there is to run things backward and find


    out who

    Quoted message said:

    actually imports them, how long the business has been around, what


    else they

    Quoted message said:

    do, and whether you can get them to write a warranty that ties into
    something other than just their on-line persona.

    As for being like an "Asian Motobecane" well, that's exactly what it


    is. I

    Quoted message said:

    don't have the box in front of me, so I don't recall if it was either


    Taiwan

    Quoted message said:

    or Chinese in origin. Not that either of those is bad per se, but it


    bears

    Quoted message said:

    no resemblance to the Windsor of old.

    If you want a project to work on, you'll have that, as it comes in a


    box

    Quoted message said:

    "assembled" in the same manner as all such bikes. In our shop, that


    means

    Quoted message said:

    about 2 hours of assembly and check-out to make sure everything's the


    way it

    Quoted message said:

    ought to be. It's not something to be done by someone who's never


    trued

    Quoted message said:

    wheels or set up brakes. If you've done overhauls on your own bikes


    before,

    Quoted message said:

    no biggie.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Oh, please. The Windsor Tourist as a Fuji touring under a different
    label. It's made in Taiwan and at $600 delivered is a far better value
    than a Trek 520 for double that...plus it has a proper threaded quill,
    unlike the Trek. A friend just bought a $800 + tax Specialized Sequoia
    at a LBS and it only came with Sora shifters/brake levers and I have
    Tiagra. The components are of very good quality for that price and it
    comes 95% set up. The instructions that come with it suck. I bought one
    and had it assembled in under two hours using instructions for the
    shifters from the Shimano web site (they are very good). Hardest part
    was the front deraileur and that was not hard at all. Rear deraileur
    was spot on from the factory. Wheels are true. The welds are good
    machine quality and the paint job is very good (not crazy about the
    color, but so what?)

    I've only got about 100 miles on it so far. Have added Planet Bike
    fenders, Planet Bike speedometer/odometer, Specialized Milano leather
    saddle (did not care for the supplied saddle although it looked good
    quality, personal thing), Tektro auxiliary brake levers, ritchey
    clipless pedals. No problem mounting any of it. Bike rides smoothly.
    Shifts easy and securely. Brakes are fine. No light-weight, but that's
    not what I was looking for. Altogether, I have about $100 in add-ons on
    it. I don't think anyone can match this as a touring bike for the $700
    I have in it.

    There are really few choices in true touring bikes at under $1000
    making this bike a screaming bargain. The $1500 "retail" price is pure
    puffery and no sensible person believes it for a second. More
    reasonable retail would be something like $800 or $900. The seller
    (BikesDirect) is silly to inflate the retail that much.

    It's a keeper.

  6. "nopcbs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, please. The Windsor Tourist as a Fuji touring under a different
    label. It's made in Taiwan and at $600 delivered is a far better value
    than a Trek 520 for double that...plus it has a proper threaded quill,
    unlike the Trek.

    All true, but if the Fuji Tour has a problem you can go to a Fuji dealer for
    service. That said, most people never go back to a bicycle shop for warranty
    service, especially on a road bicycle with a steel frame. The other
    components don't often fail within the warranty period if they are of
    reasonable quality. It's a risk that many people are willing to take.

    If my touring bicycle frame broke, I couldn't even get another touring
    bicycle from Specialized, as they don't make them anymore, so the lifetime
    warranty on the frame doesn't help me at all. Ditto for those with a Miyata
    1000, a Shogun, or any of the other 1980-1990's touring bicycles, except
    Trek of Fuji. The Trek 520 isn't bad, but it has some design flaws for a
    touring bicycle.

    Quoted message said:

    There are really few choices in true touring bikes at under $1000
    making this bike a screaming bargain. The $1500 "retail" price is pure
    puffery and no sensible person believes it for a second. More
    reasonable retail would be something like $800 or $900. The seller

    I think that the extra money for the Fuji version might be worth it, if it's
    $100 difference or so.

    Yeah, you gotta love those inflated MSRPs. I recently bought some horizontal
    blinds from JC Penney. The retail price was about 3x times the actual price,
    and I'm relatively certain that no one has ever paid even 1/2 the retail
    price.

  7. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:7tE6e.594

    Quoted message said:

    But that "pure puffery" actually sucks people in, and severely distorts


    the

    Quoted message said:

    actual worth of the bike.

    I doubt it. People are so used to wildly inflated MSRPs that they have lost
    the effect of making the buyer believe that they are getting a great deal
    because they're paying half of a phony MSRP. Look at automobiles, where the
    MSRP has become meaningless, and now people negotiate down from the invoice
    price. When was the last time anyone paid even invoice for a new vehicle,
    let alone MSRP, unless it was for a vehicle in exceptionally high demand,
    i.e. Honda Odyssey.

    The last Trek bicycle I purchased had an MSRP of $1650. I paid $1100 (your
    shop had it for $1000, but didn't have the size I needed, and couldn't get
    it, as it was a closeout sale of the previous year's model). I've found that
    purchasing the previous year's model often has another benefit besides
    price; many manufacturers de-content their bicycles from year to year to
    keep the price points the same, for the same model name.

    Quoted message said:

    And the assembly we did with the bike we built was
    as time consuming as any other;

    How much do you charge for something like that? $150?

    Remember, it's not how much you spend, it's how much you save!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.