Touring and recreational cycling · Public discussion

New touring bike purchase

Started by Samlc · · Last activity · 9 posts · 3,716 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Touring and recreational cycling
Published
6 May 2005
Last activity
23 May 2005
Original author
Samlc
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,716
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone familar with the new Burley Vagabond touring bike? I am considering it vs Cannondale T2000. I am a piano tuner and 30 years ago road a Motobecane Super Mirage all around downtown Chicago and the north and NW sides. I now live in the Missouri Ozarks and like to take it up again. I'm at a nasty 230lb and hope to become 3/4 of the man I am today. We have our share of hills, gravel. I figure on carrying about 15lbs of tools on a rear rack and some panniers for rain suit, lock, etc. Any opinions?

  2. Bought the T2000 yesterday. I hope nobody comes up with a stellar report on Burley Vagabond.

  3. Samlc said:

    Bought the T2000 yesterday. I hope nobody comes up with a stellar report on Burley Vagabond.


    Dont now zip about a burley vagabond but I do know a few people that have been very happy touring on their Cannondale.

    Best of luck with your touring.

    Cheers

  4. Hi!
    Well, I can't help you with information on the other bike you are considering, but I can tell you that the Cannondale T2000 is awesome!!! Last summer I rode my bike (the T2000) from Paris to Rome; not one problem! Not even a flat... it's been amazing. The gearing is perfect for long distance rides as well as shorter and it's just an over-all GREAT bike. I also have the Cannondale Sport Bike (dont recommend it) and a Trek 1600; my T2000 is by far my favorite!

  5. sheelerz4life said:

    Hi!
    Well, I can't help you with information on the other bike you are considering, but I can tell you that the Cannondale T2000 is awesome!!! Last summer I rode my bike (the T2000) from Paris to Rome; not one problem! Not even a flat... it's been amazing. The gearing is perfect for long distance rides as well as shorter and it's just an over-all GREAT bike. I also have the Cannondale Sport Bike (dont recommend it) and a Trek 1600; my T2000 is by far my favorite!

    Did you have any difficulty with getting it sized correctly? I haven't seen mine yet, to be built end of the month.

  6. Samlc said:

    I figure on carrying about 15lbs of tools

    What are you gonna do? Build your own bridges along the way???

    Yikes! Even fully self-sufficient touring I only carry about 5lbs total in tools/a couple spokes/tube/folding tire!

  7. coolworx said:

    What are you gonna do? Build your own bridges along the way???

    Yikes! Even fully self-sufficient touring I only carry about 5lbs total in tools/a couple spokes/tube/folding tire!


    Sounds like he intends to use the bicycle to commute to his work - ie. carrying all of the tools he needs to tune people's pianos. 😉

    Sounds like a cool way to do your job. Good Luck!

  8. Eden said:

    Sounds like he intends to use the bicycle to commute to his work - ie. carrying all of the tools he needs to tune people's pianos. 😉

    Sounds like a cool way to do your job. Good Luck!

    😄

    Well that certainly makes sense now!

    He could probably could get away with a decent seatpost rack to carry 15lbs.

  9. Samlc said:

    Did you have any difficulty with getting it sized correctly? I haven't seen mine yet, to be built end of the month.

    No, I don't remember having any difficulties with the sizing. I'm a medium in Cannondale bikes, and with a few seat adjustments and such it fits perfectly. When you do purchase a new bike, I would assume your bike technician will help fit you! Good Luck

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.