Hello, I'm Dru. I have recently become interested in your sport and I
know nothing at all about it, but I want to learn. First question:
Recommendations for my first mountain bike purchase, any will be
helpful. Second question: I am in good physical health but what do you
suggest for cross training? Third question: What type of protective
equipment is advised? Fourth question: I have seen some sites about
guided mountain biking. Do you recommend this to a newcomer to the
sport or should I just wing it?
Mountain Bikes · Public discussion
New to this....which means...I know nothing!
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Mountain Bikes
- Published
- 12 December 2005
- Last activity
- 13 December 2005
- Original author
- Dru
- Posts
- 6
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 319
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Dru said:
Hello, I'm Dru. I have recently become interested in your sport and I
know nothing at all about it, but I want to learn. First question:
Recommendations for my first mountain bike purchase, any will be
helpful. Second question: I am in good physical health but what do you
suggest for cross training? Third question: What type of protective
equipment is advised? Fourth question: I have seen some sites about
guided mountain biking. Do you recommend this to a newcomer to the
sport or should I just wing it?Google search all of your questions on this newsgroup and then wade
through it all.JD
-
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.240.205.60
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1134364224 19468 127.0.0.1 (12 Dec 2005
05:10:24 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: [email hidden]
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:10:24 +0000 (UTC)
User-Agent: G2/0.2
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 WebTV/2.6 (compatible; MSIE
4.0),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
X-HTTP-Via: 1.0 netcache-3001 (NetCache NetApp/5.5R6)NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.240.205.60
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1133795512 31603 127.0.0.1 (5 Dec 2005
15:11:52 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: [email hidden]
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:11:52 +0000 (UTC)
User-Agent: G2/0.2
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 WebTV/2.6 (compatible; MSIE
4.0),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
X-HTTP-Via: 1.0 netcache-3001 (NetCache NetApp/5.5R6)Hey dru, are you a brown eyed jeannie too, or just borrowing someone
else's webtv?JD smelled a rat
-
Get a helmet, good MTB shoes, black tights, any shirt, and a hardtail
with front suspension in the $800 range.
Make that $660 for last year's model.
Anything less is a waste of money and will soon breakdown costing you
more money than the original price.
Buy it from a MTB shop, make sure it's the right size (too small),
and practice on flat dirt roads before tackling any firetrails.
Be sure your bike handling is adaquate before going solo.... -
Oh, run uphill, preferably stairs, for cross training.
Then on the descent, maybe run down a dirt path, to practice quick
judgement and route planning, and agility, of course.
Consider some hip and elbow padding, if you singletrack skills are
lacking. -
Thank you for your responses. And Lee, I am reseaching ratings for
different mt bikes and will be sure to get one from a Mt Bike Shop.
'til next time. ***Dru***
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.