Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

new-to-me bike questions

Started by Henry · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,159 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
31 January 2003
Last activity
31 January 2003
Original author
Henry
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,159
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:

    1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
    bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

    2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
    they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

    Any advice?

  2. I believe the answer to question number 2 is that the brake cable is stretching. Replacing the cable
    that should take care of it. "Henry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:

    1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
    bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

    2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
    they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

    Any advice?

  3. Quoted message said:

    1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
    bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

    Check that the wheel is all the way in the dropouts, and that the quick release lever is secured
    correctly.

    Quoted message said:

    2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
    they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

    Any advice?

    Go to your LBS...a lot of places have what is called a "safety check" where they go over the whole
    bike and let you know what's wrong with it. If you don't know how to adjust V-brakes, it is best to
    let the pros get their hands on it. And, while you are out, pick up a book on bike repair. It's more
    fun and much cheaper to do it yourself.

    Chris

  4. Quoted message said:

    I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:

    1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
    bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

    2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
    they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

    Any advice?

    Congratulations on the new bike. The rear wheel play could be a couple things, all involving the
    rear hub. Yank the wheel off and re-install it and see if it's in the dropouts perfectly. If you
    still have the play, get it into the shop.

    The rear brakes are easy to adjust. There are a few ways. You should have barrel rollers where the
    cable meets the hand lever. If you wind that out (counter clock-wise) it effectively lengthens the
    cable housing while leaving the cable it's self the same length. This should tighten up the pads on
    the rim making braking easier. Or, you could adjust the cable as it enters the brake assembly at the
    rear wheel. This involves loosening the nut that the cable passes through on the brake arm, pulling
    it through a bit more, tightening it up and rechecking it by spinning the wheel and grabbing the
    brake again. Lots of info out there on the web w/pictures and books available too. Good luck.

    Greg

  5. $30 bucks for a tune-up at your LBS. Probably need a new brake cable ( Rear) And tighten up the
    cones on the rear axle. If you know how great. If not, leave it to the pros.

    TJ supports his local bike shop with doughnuts.

    "Henry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:

    1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
    bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

    2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
    they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

    Any advice?

  6. David Banes said:

    I believe the answer to question number 2 is that the brake cable is stretching. Replacing the
    cable that should take care of it.

    Everyone knows that after a certain period of time, brake cables turn in to elastic...

    What tosh.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: t-online.deambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: t-online.debmx faq.htm

  7. (Henry) said:

    I just got a used Trek 4500 that I bought from Ebay. The bike seems okay except for a few things:

    1) There is some significant play in the rear wheel if you grab it and shake it. I'm guessing the
    bearings might be shot. Do I just replace the whole wheel? If so, recommendations?

    2) The rear brakes don't want to work well. They seem adjusted okay but when I squeeze the lever,
    they will not lock the wheel, even in dirt. The pads look fairly new.

    Any advice?


    LBS and/or bicycle books.

    peace, bill

    The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
    an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  8. "Henry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any advice?

    I'll just add to the great advice others have given on using an LBS. Make friends with these guys,
    get them to show you how it is done. Spend a couple of bucks. Ultimately, they will willingly teach
    you how to wrench your bike and they get a customer for life.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.