Road Cycling · Public discussion

New to cycling - few questions

Started by ZacLees · · Last activity · 8 posts · 789 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 November 2011
Last activity
4 December 2011
Original author
ZacLees
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
789
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everyone

    I've never done any proper cycling before but I am going to start it after Christmas
    Hopefully I am going to get a Carrera TDF - hopefully second hand a bit cheaper as a 'unwanted gift'!!

    Any tips you want to give me would be much appreciated! Anything obvious to someone who cycles might not be obvious to someone who has never done so before remember! Is there any sort of cycling etiquete I should try and get the hang of? Some kind of secret code as you cycle past a fellow cyclist to say hello? [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

    And also any hints on buying a used bike - what to look out for ?

    Thanks alot 🙂

  2. Well, I hope you get your bike for Christmas!

    1. Definitely go to a good local bike shop and get fitted properly once you get your bike. Save any extra Christmas money you get, as you may need money for a stem, seatpost, saddle, etc. depending on how your fit goes. The fitting process costs a little money too.
    2. There are tons of posts on here regarding your riding "kit"... search out some of those, for sure. Definitely have some tire levers, a spare tube, and a patch kit for the inevitable flat. And, learn how to fix flats!
    3. Etiquette? I give a small wave, head nod, or hello to all cyclists I see on the road. If I see cyclists walking or stopped, I'll ask if everything's ok. Once I gave a guy a tube (he'd forgotten his) and another time, I lent a guy tire levers (also forgotten). Also, if you come up behind walkers or runners, I give 'em a heads up ("ON YOUR LEFT"😉 as a I pass, if I'm on a multi-use trail.
    4. Get good shorts! I was much more comfortable when I stepped up from cheap shorts to my current Sugoi Evolution shorts.

    Scott

  3. Good advice thus far.

    Depending on how far you intend to cycle you might need to buy waterbottles to carry fluid. When exercising you lose fluids, so you need to replenish during your ride.

    Also if you intend to do longer spins say 2+hours, it's important to have eaten properly and if necessary during a long spin. Again there are plenty of posts discussing nutrition.

  4. Take it easy when you first start riding as your body will need to adjust to the rigors of riding and you don't want to over do it.

    Start out doing short rides and then see how your body feels the next day. If you aren't too sore, then incease your mileage just a bit on he next ride.

    If you are very sore the day after a ride, then you might want to go for a very short gentle ride just to loosen your muscles and help flush the toxins out.

    Then reduce the mileage or intensity a bit on your next regular ride so you don't over extend yourself again.

    As mentioned above, a good pair of padded riding shorts will greatly increase your comfort on rides. But, even with good shorts you are likely to experience some soreness in your seat bones after a ride. This is normal when you first start riding and should become nominal once your seat bones toughen up.

    Ride defensively and have fun! [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

  5. I would also recommend doing a Google search for a local cycling club. They may have a good used bike available, and they can certainly help point you in the right direction as far as shops, routes, trails, clothing, etc. My local club has tremendously improved my riding experience.

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by 64Paramount [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Take it easy when you first start riding as your body will need to adjust to the rigors of riding and you don't want to over do it.

    Start out doing short rides and then see how your body feels the next day. If you aren't too sore, then incease your mileage just a bit on he next ride.

    If you are very sore the day after a ride, then you might want to go for a very short gentle ride just to loosen your muscles and help flush the toxins out.

    Then reduce the mileage or intensity a bit on your next regular ride so you don't over extend yourself again.

    As mentioned above, a good pair of padded riding shorts will greatly increase your comfort on rides. But, even with good shorts you are likely to experience some soreness in your seat bones after a ride. This is normal when you first start riding and should become nominal once your seat bones toughen up.

    Ride defensively and have fun! [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]


    The have fun aspect is probably the most important piece of advice that anyone taking up cycling should heed.

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by limerickman [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    The have fun aspect is probably the most important piece of advice that anyone taking up cycling should heed.


    +10. Having fun is what it's all about. Also, heed 64Paramount's words.

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by ZacLees [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Hi everyone

    I've never done any proper cycling before but I am going to start it after Christmas
    Hopefully I am going to get a Carrera TDF - hopefully second hand a bit cheaper as a 'unwanted gift'!!

    Any tips you want to give me would be much appreciated! Anything obvious to someone who cycles might not be obvious to someone who has never done so before remember! Is there any sort of cycling etiquete I should try and get the hang of? Some kind of secret code as you cycle past a fellow cyclist to say hello? [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

    And also any hints on buying a used bike - what to look out for ?

    Thanks alot 🙂


    Carry money and a cell phone with you.

    It is hard to have a secret code when you have a bicycle. The bicycle seems to indicate who you are.

    But when you stop at a store for food or water, try to be nice and don't drip sweat on everything. It is hard to be nice when you are tired, hungry, and trying to get home before the rain comes down.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.