Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

New Road Bike $1000-$1500

Started by warday · · Last activity · 6 posts · 2,005 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
20 October 2006
Last activity
22 October 2006
Original author
warday
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,005
Views / 30 days
10
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    My brother in-law has been riding his 20 plus year old bike for sometime now and has finally decided to change up to something new. He doesn't want to spend a bomb, say up to $1500. Has anyone seen any good bargins out there with the end of season change over? I have been looking but haven't seen anything as yet - he lives in Sydney.

    He is tall - 6'4", so he will need a large frame.

    Thanks
    Peter

  2. What sort of bike is his 20-year-old bike?

    If it fits him ok, then he might want to consider upgrading the components and keeping the frame. (should be able to do that fairly cheaply by ordering stuff from probikekit in the UK)

  3. warday said:

    My brother in-law has been riding his 20 plus year old bike for sometime now and has finally decided to change up to something new. He doesn't want to spend a bomb, say up to $1500.


    It sounds like your looking for something like:
    Avanti Monza or Vivace,
    Felt F80,
    Specialized Allez, or
    Giant OCR2

    As for finding them on special you may have left it a little late. I'm 6'4" and not many shops had 06 models in larger sizes. I eventually found something that I loved and in my size but it took a fair bit of hunting. Remember to leave some room in the budget for shoes and pedals (around $200 for entry level - Probikekit.com have Shimano 105 pedals for $50 at the moment, but I'd get the shoes from the LBS so you can try them on).

  4. warday said:

    Hi

    My brother in-law has been riding his 20 plus year old bike for sometime now and has finally decided to change up to something new. He doesn't want to spend a bomb, say up to $1500. Has anyone seen any good bargins out there with the end of season change over? I have been looking but haven't seen anything as yet - he lives in Sydney.

    He is tall - 6'4", so he will need a large frame.

    Thanks
    Peter

    Give Dean Woods Direct, freecall 1800353123, Wangaratta a call. You might get a very plesent supprise. And NO, I'm not anything to do with him or his shop. He has the best service I've found in oz, and He has given me a great deal on my new, 2mths old, bike. Regards Terry [email hidden]

  5. I bought myself a Giant OCR2 2007 Model a couple of weeks ago - got it for $1249 which I thought was a pretty good deal. Its an absolute beauty & I cant believe how fast I can get that sucker to go. For that sort of money I give it 10/10 as I am very happy with it.

  6. matagi said:

    What sort of bike is his 20-year-old bike?

    If it fits him ok, then he might want to consider upgrading the components and keeping the frame. (should be able to do that fairly cheaply by ordering stuff from probikekit in the UK)

    I second this option ...

    For $1000-to-$1500AU you can certainly upgrade the current frame with a Veloce-or-Centaur grupo, new wheels, etc. and easily have money left over.

    Re-spacing the rear triangle on a steel frame from 126mm to 130mm is almost effortless ... and, if a shop does it, the cost should be minimal (it's a 5-to-10 minute task ... just be sure they have done it before).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.