Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New rear derailleur for LONG term

Started by Király · · Last activity · 17 posts · 847 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 April 2006
Last activity
19 April 2006
Original author
Király
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
847
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    --
    K.

  2. "Király" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:_vf0g.31500$4S.29769@edtnps82...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    --
    K.

    No. None. Read first message in thread.

  3. (Király) said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    Not likely. In fact, isn't the present generation XT low normal? SOoooo if yours
    doesn't shift backward it's already obsoleted.

    Ron

  4. Király said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    Unless there's something quirky about that derailleur, it should be
    trivially easy to get new or slightly used pulleys for it. Did you
    talk to any bike shops?

    Quoted message said:

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    Just as with your 105 derailleur today, you'll be able to find
    something that works if you try.

    -Vee

  5. Király said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    I never had trouble finding pulleys for derailers of that vintage. If you
    can't find the "correct" ones, you can always pull them from another model
    in the line, or aftermarket. Back then everything seemed to fit. I don't
    know about now.

    Matt O.

  6. RonSonic said:

    Not likely. In fact, isn't the present generation XT low normal? SOoooo if yours
    doesn't shift backward it's already obsoleted.

    Maybe XT is low normal now too. I thought only XTR was,
    but even then you can get a standard one if you want.

    Matt O.

  7. Király said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    Seems that I'm late with this recommendation, but anyway, such things
    are still made nowadays. For example by Tacx:

    http://www.tacx.nl/html/template18.php?pageid=321&l=en

    Konstantin

  8. Vee said:

    Unless there's something quirky about that derailleur, it should be
    trivially easy to get new or slightly used pulleys for it. Did you
    talk to any bike shops?

    Yeah, I went to four different shops. None of them had anything that
    fits. In fact, none of their spare parts catalogs even listed any
    parts available at all for this model number of rear derailleur. It
    seems that most derailleurs these days have 11 tooth pulleys. The
    RD-1056 needs 10 teeth, and narrow. If the LBSes had any 10-tooth
    pulleys at all, they were too wide. Too bad, it was a nice derailleur.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    Just as with your 105 derailleur today, you'll be able to find
    something that works if you try.

    Yes, well, I did buy an extra set of pulleys for that time down the road
    when they will need replacing. So far I'm happy with the new derailleur,
    it shifts much better than the old one did. The 105 was a little finicky
    with a 32 tooth big cog, the XT has no problem.

    --
    K.

  9. Konstantin Shemyak said:

    Seems that I'm late with this recommendation, but anyway, such things
    are still made nowadays. For example by Tacx:

    http://www.tacx.nl/html/template18.php?pageid=321&l=en

    D'oh! Oh well, the old derailleur is gone now. I took it to a
    consignment shop and somebody paid $33 for it, worn pulleys and all.
    Maybe that person could use a set of these.

    --
    K.

  10. Király said:
    Konstantin Shemyak said:

    Seems that I'm late with this recommendation, but anyway, such things
    are still made nowadays. For example by Tacx:

    http://www.tacx.nl/html/template18.php?pageid=321&l=en

    D'oh! Oh well, the old derailleur is gone now. I took it to a
    consignment shop and somebody paid $33 for it, worn pulleys and all.
    Maybe that person could use a set of these.

    Wow, someone paid 33 dollar for a 9 year old 105 derailleur with worn
    pulleys? What a rip off, or what an idiot.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  11. Király said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    --
    K.

    DP7510 and DP7511 from the Quality Catalog, 10 tooth, narrow 8s
    pulleys....tell yer bike shop to be less lazy.

  12. (Király) said:

    Yes, well, I did buy an extra set of pulleys for that time down the road
    when they will need replacing. So far I'm happy with the new derailleur,
    it shifts much better than the old one did. The 105 was a little finicky
    with a 32 tooth big cog, the XT has no problem.

    Main reason it shifts better is probably that the parallellogram isn't
    worn, plus a certain amount of technological improvement. Will you be
    willing to forgo those advantage 10 years from now for the small
    difference in price between a whole derailer and a few pulleys?

    Jasper

  13. On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:19:27 +0200, Lou Holtman <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Király said:
    Konstantin Shemyak said:

    Seems that I'm late with this recommendation, but anyway, such things
    are still made nowadays. For example by Tacx:

    http://www.tacx.nl/html/template18.php?pageid=321&l=en

    D'oh! Oh well, the old derailleur is gone now. I took it to a
    consignment shop and somebody paid $33 for it, worn pulleys and all.
    Maybe that person could use a set of these.

    Quoted message said:

    Wow, someone paid 33 dollar for a 9 year old 105 derailleur with worn
    pulleys? What a rip off, or what an idiot.

    Yeah. It's too old and worn (and two levels too cheap to start with) to be
    a good deal as nearly-new, and *way* too young to be an antique.

    Jasper

  14. Jasper Janssen said:

    Yeah. It's too old and worn (and two levels too cheap to start with) to be
    a good deal as nearly-new, and *way* too young to be an antique.

    I agree! I took it to a consignment shop where the price is discounted
    by 10% of the starting price every week until it sells. I started it at the
    ridiculous price of $33, thinking it might take a month or two before
    somebody paid $5 or $10 for it. Somebody snapped it up right away! Even
    after the consignment shop took their $11 cut, $22 still seems like a
    lot to receive for it. I almost feel a little guilty.

    --
    K.

  15. (Király) said:

    I agree! I took it to a consignment shop where the price is discounted
    by 10% of the starting price every week until it sells. I started it at the
    ridiculous price of $33, thinking it might take a month or two before
    somebody paid $5 or $10 for it. Somebody snapped it up right away! Even
    after the consignment shop took their $11 cut, $22 still seems like a
    lot to receive for it. I almost feel a little guilty.

    Ah well. Nobody was pressured. Well, not by you, at least.

    Jasper

  16. (Király) said:

    Okay, my 9-year old Shimano 105 long-cage derailleur RD-1056 needed new
    pulleys, 10 tooth narrow pulleys, which are not made anymore. I should
    have stocked up on a few spare pairs back when I bought the thing. Pity.

    So anyway, I have replaced it with a new XT derailleur. Is there much
    chance that parts for this thing will be available 10 years from now?

    It's ShimaNO. Spare parts cease to exist almost as soon the product
    leaves the current line...if they were made available at all. I
    suspect this may be due to Shimano having a faulty view of spares in
    general; they probably look at the demand during the first year or two
    as indicative of the long term demand, and assume that if nobody
    needed part_x under warranty, there won't be enough demand for it
    later to make it worth keeping any in stock. This is purely
    speculation based on years in the parts business in other
    environments; you'd be amazed at how often manufacturers of an item
    abandon their support for stuff that's not in current production. Of
    course, often they eventually lose their customers because repairs
    aren't possible on items that ought to be possible to keep running.
    If Shimano wasn't the 1500-pound-gorilla of the bike drivetrain
    business due to their ownership of so much of the Asian OEM amrket,
    this behavior would probably have earned them a fatal rep already.
    Try finding a parts brakdown for something they made 5 years ago; they
    don't even keep their tech info online that far back.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  17. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:25:45 GMT, Werehatrack <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    It's ShimaNO. Spare parts cease to exist almost as soon the product
    leaves the current line...if they were made available at all. I
    suspect this may be due to Shimano having a faulty view of spares in
    general; they probably look at the demand during the first year or two
    as indicative of the long term demand, and assume that if nobody
    needed part_x under warranty, there won't be enough demand for it
    later to make it worth keeping any in stock. This is purely
    speculation based on years in the parts business in other
    environments; you'd be amazed at how often manufacturers of an item
    abandon their support for stuff that's not in current production. Of
    course, often they eventually lose their customers because repairs
    aren't possible on items that ought to be possible to keep running.
    If Shimano wasn't the 1500-pound-gorilla of the bike drivetrain
    business due to their ownership of so much of the Asian OEM amrket,
    this behavior would probably have earned them a fatal rep already.
    Try finding a parts brakdown for something they made 5 years ago; they
    don't even keep their tech info online that far back.

    Almost everybody does that, though, particularly low-budget manufacturers.
    If your 10 or 20 year old tap breaks, you can find spare parts -- if it's
    a bog standard one with common parts, or it's a $200 Grohe rather than a
    $40 nameless. If your dishwasher or washer breaks, you can find spare
    parts for Bosch, Miele or Siemens, but the Candys and Zanussis? Not so
    much.

    Jasper

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.