Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

New Mountain Bike Recommendation

Started by Jeremy · · Last activity · 14 posts · 450 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
18 May 2004
Last activity
20 May 2004
Original author
Jeremy
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
450
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    Thanks!!

  2. Jeremy said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    Thanks!!

    for that amount of $$ you might want to consider a really sweet hard tail,
    as compared to a "ok" FS.

    penny

  3. "Jeremy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week.

    There are a lot of nice bikes and everybody will have their favorite.

    I'd drop the discs and get a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, retail 1470.

  4. Quoted message said:


    There are a lot of nice bikes and everybody will have their favorite.

    To prove your first point, I'll disagree with your second.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd drop the discs and get a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, retail 1470.

    Keep the discs, lose the suspension. Bianchi Denali for $1150. Steel,
    marzocchi, avid discs, WTB wheels.... What's not to love?

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  5. "Andrew Thorne" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    There are a lot of nice bikes and everybody will have their favorite.

    To prove your first point, I'll disagree with your second.

    Would that make you disagreeably agreeable? To confuse matters, I wouldn't
    call the Bianchi a bad choice!

  6. Quoted message said:


    Would that make you disagreeably agreeable? To confuse matters, I wouldn't
    call the Bianchi a bad choice!

    We can just leave it at as an unmodified "diasgreeable" Thankyouverymuch.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  7. "Jeremy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    Thanks!!

    I have a bike similar to the Cake design. It's a miserable chain sucker
    when it gets a muddy drive train.

    Kept clean and lubed it's fine.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  8. Jeremy said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    Thanks!!

    You'll get 1000 different answers. Do a lot of research
    and ride all the ones you're considering...

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC
    (Remove XSPAM)

  9. "Jeremy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    Bikes that tend to chainsuck get worst when riding in mud. Bikes with high
    chain stays do a better job against chainsuck. What FS bikes are your
    friends riding? I ride in mud all the time and discs are the bomb.

  10. "Andrew Thorne" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We can just leave it at as an unmodified "diasgreeable" Thankyouverymuch.

    So now you disagree that there are a lot of nice bikes and that everyone
    will have their favorite?

    I agree that you are disagreeable.

  11. "Jeremy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    Thanks!!

    I bought a Jamis Dakar Sport awhile back and have been very pleased with it.
    Its at the lower end of your price range. If you've got the cash you could
    step up to one of the Dakar XCs. Like others said, you'll get lots of
    different answers. Go to your shops, tell them what you want, and test ride
    some bikes.

  12. [email hidden] (Jeremy) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi-
    I'm looking at buying a FS Mountain Bike with Disc brakes by the end
    of this week. I'll be doing a lot of Single Track riding. I'm new to
    Mountain Biking and have only had a hybrid in the past. The guys I'm
    riding with have all said a FS would be nice and the disc brakes will
    help for all the mud we go through. I've had 2 stores recommend the
    GF Cake 3 DLX, but I'm reading about all these chain issues and now
    I'm a little concerned. In addition 1 of the guys I ride with has
    recommended against GF. I'm looking at spending between 1000-$1600 -
    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    I have never liked how GF bikes fit me. And if you are going to spend
    that kind of money, then look at Specialized or Marin. Heck, as other
    people have said, a really sweet hardtail could be had for that kind
    of money. Sweet like top of the line components, but still strong and
    durable. The Marin Mt. Vision and the Rift Zone are both pretty good
    bikes for the money. They are both above your budget, so you may want
    to look at the East Peak. I don't like that Axel fork, but I guess it
    could serve for a season or two. The FSR line from Specialized is
    also pretty good. While GF might be what the LBS has to sell, I'd
    stay away only due to the Bontrager components - they suck pretty bad.

    In the end, the bike that fits you best and the best one that you can
    afford is the best deal. FS *is* nice, but adds about $1000 to a
    similarly-equipped bicycle. Is FS worth a grand? My old butt thinks
    so, but when I was younger, I didn't care. I also have an extra grand
    to spend. You really don't.

    Still, it's your money - you have to make the call.
    --
    Jonesy

  13. Jeremy said:

    Can anyone give me some advice/recommendations - Is the GF bike not
    the choice?

    My rule of thumb and general recommendation:

    Buy the best frame you can afford. Components (shifters, derailleurs,
    etc.) will break/wear out/fail, and you'll end up replacing them anyway.
    A good frame will be your friend for years.

    That being said, also look around for good deals. I got a GF FS; the
    dealer needed it out the door and sold me a $1600 bike for $1000. That
    went a long way to convince me to buy that particular bike.

    --Kamus

    --
    o__ | May your trails be dim, lonesome, stony, narrow, winding and
    ,>/'_ | only slightly uphill. May the wind bring rain for the slickrock
    (_)\(_) | potholes fourteen miles on the other side of yonder blue ridge.
    | May God's dog serenade your campfire, may the rattlesnake and
    o | the screech owl amuse your reveries, may the Great Sun dazzle

    Quoted message said:

    [] | your eyes by day and the Great Bear watch over you at night.


    /\ |
    \ \ | - Edward Abbey, Beyond the Wall

  14. "Bonehenge" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jack said:

    Bikes with high
    chain stays do a better job against chainsuck.

    Please explain.

    Barry

    Most chainsuck situations has the chain jammed against the chainstay. A
    high chainstay usually doesn't have this problem.

    A poorly maintained drive train on any design still can have the chain
    trying to wrap around the chainring and stop the bike. The difference is
    that on a high chainstay stopping the bike will automatically unwrap the
    chain instead of having to unjam it against the chainstay.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.