General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

New Lancashire 20s-30s walking group

Started by John Haworth · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,362 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 August 2005
Last activity
16 September 2005
Original author
John Haworth
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,362
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A new 20s-30s walking group has been formed for the North East
    Lancashire area. Our first walk is on the 18th of September and anyone
    is welcome to come along. Please see our website for more details:

    http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/ypg.htm

    Regards,

    John

  2. I am 43, have been a member of the ramblers for years. I walk every week
    with fellow bobbled hatted, old people. Last week we walked 18miles around
    Diggle, the week before we did 19miles around Todmorden. This saturday we
    did a 15 miler from Sedbergh and did a 16 miler on sunday around Wycoller.
    Next week end I am leading a 17miler from Longshaw which you are welcome to
    join, if our bobbled hatted oldies slow down enough for you 7 to 10 mile
    youngsters to keep up.

    Kevin

    "John Haworth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group has been formed for the North East Lancashire
    area. Our first walk is on the 18th of September and anyone is welcome to
    come along. Please see our website for more details:

    http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/ypg.htm

    Regards,

    John

  3. I belong to Oldham Ramblers. You can see our walks via the Ramblers website.
    Kevin

    "Kevin Howell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am 43, have been a member of the ramblers for years. I walk every week
    with fellow bobbled hatted, old people. Last week we walked 18miles around
    Diggle, the week before we did 19miles around Todmorden. This saturday we
    did a 15 miler from Sedbergh and did a 16 miler on sunday around Wycoller.
    Next week end I am leading a 17miler from Longshaw which you are welcome to
    join, if our bobbled hatted oldies slow down enough for you 7 to 10 mile
    youngsters to keep up.

    Kevin

    "John Haworth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group has been formed for the North East Lancashire
    area. Our first walk is on the 18th of September and anyone is welcome to
    come along. Please see our website for more details:

    http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/ypg.htm

    Regards,

    John

  4. Kevin Howell said:

    I am 43, have been a member of the ramblers for years. I walk every week
    with fellow bobbled hatted, old people. Last week we walked 18miles around
    Diggle, the week before we did 19miles around Todmorden. This saturday we
    did a 15 miler from Sedbergh and did a 16 miler on sunday around Wycoller.
    Next week end I am leading a 17miler from Longshaw which you are welcome to
    join, if our bobbled hatted oldies slow down enough for you 7 to 10 mile
    youngsters to keep up.

    Kevin

    Glad you liked our website, hope you weren't too offended by that
    light-hearted comment 🙂 I'm sure you appreciate the reason for the
    20s-30s groups, being only 43 yourself. Once we get going I'm sure we
    can come up with something a bit more challenging. However in the
    meantime we are trying to appeal to people who haven't done much
    walking, hence the reason for the short-ish walks to begin with.

    Regards,

    John

  5. I have to say I am strongly anti this idea of segregating walkers into age
    ranges.

    I tried a ramblers walk when 21 and have never been since despite continuing
    to be a member. At 52 I still wouldn't go as I KNOW I would be the youngest
    there.

    If I could walk with 30 and 40 yr olds I would go.

    I'll stick to going alone.

    Perhaps when I'm in my eighties.

    ps it's now worth turning out for less than 15 mls!

  6. "Trevor Appleton" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have to say I am strongly anti this idea of segregating walkers
    into age ranges.
    I'll stick to going alone.

    Likewise, at 63 and a year after a heart attack I come off the Snowdon
    Horseshoe or a circuit of the Carneddau in better shape than I did at
    20.
    It seems to be a perennial problem of walking in groups that there's
    always somebody holding the party up, somebody wanting to go faster
    and others wanting to go another way - plus those who want to make a
    race of it.
    OK I'm not going to do the Welsh 3000s in 24hrs - no time in that to
    get my 7hrs kip at the pace I walk ;~)
    One thing I've enjoyed on starting hill walking again after a 40 year
    gap is seeing young and old enjoying the hills together.
    --
    Rod

    My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
    Just remove the weedy bits
    and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

  7. John Haworth said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group

    Who wants to walk with only their own age group?
    --
    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  8. The message <[email hidden]>
    from Paul Rooney <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group

    Quoted message said:

    Who wants to walk with only their own age group?

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 53 summits
    New - 27 (Marilyns 13, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)
    Repeats - 26 (Marilyns 10, Nuttalls 17, Wainwrights 12, Outlying Fells 0)

  9. Roger said:

    The message <[email hidden]>
    from Paul Rooney <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group

    Quoted message said:

    Who wants to walk with only their own age group?

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    You are very welcome to come along, we won't be asking for ID 🙂 If you
    are well over 40 though, I would have thought the existing local groups
    would be more suitable.

    Regards,

    John

  10. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:55:42 +0100, Roger <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group

    Quoted message said:

    Who wants to walk with only their own age group?

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    For the youngsters struggling to keep up? (And don't start all that
    "I don't walk fast, really I don't" nonsense!)

    By the way, are you fully recovered from your ankle injury?

    Judith

  11. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    You are very welcome to come along, we won't be asking for ID 🙂 If you
    are well over 40 though, I would have thought the existing local groups
    would be more suitable.


    *Splutter* You don't know young Roger, do you. He'd leave you
    youngsters standing!
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  12. John Haworth said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group has been formed for the North East
    Lancashire area. Our first walk is on the 18th of September and anyone
    is welcome to come along.

    <fx: snivel>

    Anyone in their 20s-30s, that is...

    <fx: wipes away a little tear and hobbles off on zimmer frame>

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    "Will the highways on the internet become more few?."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  13. "Roger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The message <[email hidden]>
    from Paul Rooney <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group

    Quoted message said:

    Who wants to walk with only their own age group?

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    May be it is nothing to do with age, it could be a style thing, sort of
    fancy dress for hill walking, this group could be bagging hills dressed up
    as Flapper girls and Gangsters!

  14. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:55:42 +0100, Roger <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The message <[email hidden]>
    from Paul Rooney <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A new 20s-30s walking group

    Quoted message said:

    Who wants to walk with only their own age group?

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    Embarrassing for them, undoubtedly! Not only would you know more about
    gear, cars, drugs & music than them, and have more interesting
    conversation, and have done more walks, and have drunk a wider variety
    of drinks in a wider range of pubs, etc., but you'd leave them all
    behind!
    --
    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  15. John Haworth said:


    You are very welcome to come along, we won't be asking for ID 🙂 If you
    are well over 40 though, I would have thought the existing local groups
    would be more suitable.

    ROFL! Don't be such a patronising [censored]!
    --
    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  16. Paul Rooney said:
    John Haworth said:

    You are very welcome to come along, we won't be asking for ID 🙂 If you
    are well over 40 though, I would have thought the existing local groups
    would be more suitable.

    ROFL! Don't be such a patronising [censored]!

    Just trying to be helpful. No doubt he is a veteran fell walker.
    However he did express an interest in our group. BTW, I am 29 and have
    done around 50 Wainwrights (can't give you an exact figure - I don't
    tick them off). I also walk on my own as well as with the RA. There is
    room for more than one approach.

    Regards,

    John

  17. The message <[email hidden]>
    from Judith <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    Quoted message said:

    For the youngsters struggling to keep up? (And don't start all that
    "I don't walk fast, really I don't" nonsense!)

    Am I really that transparent? ;--)

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, are you fully recovered from your ankle injury?

    The recent one, Yes thanks.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 53 summits
    New - 27 (Marilyns 13, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)
    Repeats - 26 (Marilyns 10, Nuttalls 17, Wainwrights 12, Outlying Fells 0)

  18. The message <[email hidden]>
    from John Haworth <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well I suppose it is less exclusive than wanting to walk alone. They do
    actually say "Anyone is welcome to attend our walks" which gives a
    confused message to say the least. I did toy with the idea of turning up
    on a walk as East Lancs is not so far from West Yorks but I thought it
    might be embarrassing.

    Quoted message said:

    You are very welcome to come along, we won't be asking for ID 🙂 If you
    are well over 40 though, I would have thought the existing local groups
    would be more suitable.

    I've been 41 for the last 20 years, as you would have known had you been
    reading the ng for any length of time. :-)

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 53 summits
    New - 27 (Marilyns 13, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)
    Repeats - 26 (Marilyns 10, Nuttalls 17, Wainwrights 12, Outlying Fells 0)

  19. John Haworth said:

    Just trying to be helpful. No doubt he is a veteran fell walker.
    However he did express an interest in our group. BTW, I am 29 and have
    done around 50 Wainwrights (can't give you an exact figure - I don't
    tick them off). I also walk on my own as well as with the RA. There is
    room for more than one approach.

    Ageism is rarely helpful. I'm sure you mean well, but this kind of
    age-banding is pointless imo.
    --
    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  20. "Paul Rooney" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Ageism is rarely helpful.

    Yep, ban SAGA & bus passes for the youth of the country too.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.