Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

New Hard Tail On the cheap (Steel?)

Started by The Ogre · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,009 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
28 June 2003
Last activity
28 June 2003
Original author
The Ogre
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,009
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm trying to put together a hardtail on the cheap.

    Just wondering if anyone has tried the $49 Steel from from the Nashbar catalog. How does it ride/
    how much of a boat anchor is it.

    What about their Aluminum Frame or the Access frame from Supergo?

    My goal is to build myself a "nice" hardtail for under $500 using parts I have laying around and any
    sort of bargain gear I can drum up.

    Thanks,

    -- The Ogre ogrehut.netogrehut.net

  2. "The Ogre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to put together a hardtail on the cheap.

    Just wondering if anyone has tried the $49 Steel from from the Nashbar catalog. How does it ride/
    how much of a boat anchor is it.

    What about their Aluminum Frame or the Access frame from Supergo?

    My goal is to build myself a "nice" hardtail for under $500 using parts I have laying around and
    any sort of bargain gear I can drum up.

    Thanks,

    -- The Ogre ogrehut.netogrehut.net

    If you can wait a few months I might have a nice new Gary Fisher hardtail, probably a big sur. If
    not, well, one of my friends at school has an access frame, and its decent. Not fantastic, and they
    did just recall the last batch (his is older), but for a budget project, it'd do nicely.

    Jon Bond

  3. "The Ogre" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to put together a hardtail on the cheap.

    A man of my own heart. I have done this many times. That's why I have too many bikes :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Just wondering if anyone has tried the $49 Steel from from the Nashbar catalog. How does it ride/
    how much of a boat anchor is it.

    The extra-short top tube is what turned me off to the Nashbar steel frame for my commuter/beater
    application.

    I ended up with an NOS early '90's Research Dynamics rigid steel frame/fork/headset/seatpost for $26
    (plus shipping) on Ebay. It's matte black, and I built it up with all black components, black Zefal
    fenders, Specialized Dirt Baldy tires. It turned out nicely.

    Quoted message said:

    What about ...the Access frame from Supergo?

    Earlier this season, I scored a 2003 Supergo Weyless Ultra frame (Easton Ultra tubing), brand new in
    the original carton, for $95 on eBay. The Access frame is similar, and is the same weight (3.5 lbs).
    Looks like a nice frame. I really like the Weyless geometry and ride. It's plenty stiff; but doesn't
    beat me up.

    With other eBay parts deals, plus a sweet "package price" from the frame seller on a 2001 Mars
    Super, XTR rear der, I managed to build a RaceFace/XTR/XT/Avid disc hardtail with nearly all new
    parts for well under $500. I laced up the wheels myself with new Sun 0 Deg Lite rims I scored on
    eBay ($19/pr) to save $$.

    Quoted message said:

    My goal is to build myself a "nice" hardtail for under $500 using parts I have laying around and
    any sort of bargain gear I can drum up.

    Not a problem. My suggestion is to shop hard on eBay. Check sales at JensonUSA.com, PricePoint.com
    and Nashbar.com. Find an incomplete project bike selling for cheap (they usually do). Look for "take
    off" parts sold in groups, especially mid-range OEM stuff from Ritchey, Koski, Titec, Bontrager -
    that sort of thing. Try to buy items in groups to save on shipping - eBay gets expensive if you buy
    components one at a time. Go with a square-taper crank - they're cheap and work great. Deore parts
    are the value leader right now, IMO, if you're going with a 9-speed drivetrain.

    You'll need to find a good used fork. My favorite cheap fork is the Manitou Magnum R. I bought a
    Magnum R in like-new condition for $29 a couple of years ago. It's a great fork, nicely damped, not
    heavy. I also bought a Manitou X-Vert for $60 a few months ago (haven't tried it yet).

    Shop well, be creative, and let us know what you come up with.

    Barry

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.