Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New derailler for old six-speed Trek

Started by tcklyde · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,115 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 May 2004
Last activity
18 May 2004
Original author
tcklyde
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,115
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey all.

    I'm fixing up an old, beautiful Trek 330 for my girlfriend. I think it's probably a 1989 or 88 model, though I'm not sure. The frame is in great condition and still has a gorgeous bright red paint job. Probably rarely used by the original owner.

    The rear Sun Tour derailer, however, is fuxored and the cage is severly bent out of shape. The bike has a six-speed cluster. This is an indexed shifting system.

    Question: is there a derailer on the market that I could use to replace this derailer?

    I know I could spread the rear triangle and put on something a bit more modern, but if it's cheaper, I prefer to just replace the derailer. The wheels and hubs are still in good shape.

    Thanks!

  2. You should be able to use any derailleur out there really, it does not need to be SunTour. As long as the shifters are still working it's all good. If memory serves me correctly the red 330's were the '88 model year. Most of the '89's were in the dark blue color. Have fun with it!!

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Philman
    You should be able to use any derailleur out there really, it does not need to be SunTour. As long as the shifters are still working it's all good. If memory serves me correctly the red 330's were the '88 model year. Most of the '89's were in the dark blue color. Have fun with it!!

    That's just hooey. It's an INDEXED system. The RD has to have the same throw ratio as the orignal. You cannot just stick anything in there and expect it to work. If it was FRICTION about anything would work.

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Philman
    You should be able to use any derailleur out there really, it does not need to be SunTour. As long as the shifters are still working it's all good. If memory serves me correctly the red 330's were the '88 model year. Most of the '89's were in the dark blue color. Have fun with it!!

    NM

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by tcklyde
    Hey all.

    I'm fixing up an old, beautiful Trek 330 for my girlfriend. I think it's probably a 1989 or 88 model, though I'm not sure. The frame is in great condition and still has a gorgeous bright red paint job. Probably rarely used by the original owner.

    The rear Sun Tour derailer, however, is fuxored and the cage is severly bent out of shape. The bike has a six-speed cluster. This is an indexed shifting system.

    Question: is there a derailer on the market that I could use to replace this derailer?

    I know I could spread the rear triangle and put on something a bit more modern, but if it's cheaper, I prefer to just replace the derailer. The wheels and hubs are still in good shape.

    Thanks!

    If the RD is severely trashed,the derailer hanger may also the bent. if so, it may never index shift correctly even if you use the right stuff. A bike shop can check it and save alot of wasted time. Iv'e had mixed success at using a late model shimano index capable RD in an other wise Suntour index system. Old suntour Index RD are hard to come by,but show up on ebay.. Another posible fix is 6 or 7 speed shimano index shifters and a shimano index capable RD. That assumes the suntour shifters mount to a universal braze on boss that will accept the shimano shifters.It may aslo require a shimano index capable casette or freewheel depending on which you have. Again,mixed succes in using the suntour cogs. Suntour 6 and 7 speed indexing was close to shimano compatible,but sometimes not close enough. Another fix, and the cheap one, is that the suntour shifters had a 'soft cllick' or friction mode that will work with any RD.

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by tcklyde
    Hey all.

    I'm fixing up an old, beautiful Trek 330 for my girlfriend. I think it's probably a 1989 or 88 model, though I'm not sure. The frame is in great condition and still has a gorgeous bright red paint job. Probably rarely used by the original owner.

    The rear Sun Tour derailer, however, is fuxored and the cage is severly bent out of shape. The bike has a six-speed cluster. This is an indexed shifting system.

    Question: is there a derailer on the market that I could use to replace this derailer?

    I know I could spread the rear triangle and put on something a bit more modern, but if it's cheaper, I prefer to just replace the derailer. The wheels and hubs are still in good shape.

    Thanks!

    Check the hanger alignment and see Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI for a good Suntour replacement:

    <http://www.yellowjersey.org/stour80a.html>

    Andrew Muzi is very knowlegeable and a regular contributor here.
    His shop has been specializing in Suntour solutions for decades.
    Andrew will steer you in the right direction.

  7. Thanks boudreaux, David. Very helpful.

  8. SunTour indexed levers probably won't shift a Shimano rear derailer very well. I have SunTour GPX 6/7/friction levers on my touing bike and was running a SunTour Edge rear derailer. But on a tour a few years ago, the chain somehow wrapped up around the freewheel and bent the derailer hanger in and bunged up the derailer cage. I bent the hanger back with a large adjustable wrench (steel frame) and limped home with poor shifting.

    When I got home I tried a Shimano 600 rear derailer I had laying around but I could not get it to shift well. So I got a used SunTour GPX rear derailer on eBay and it's been working great.

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Gonzo Bob
    SunTour indexed levers probably won't shift a Shimano rear derailer very well. I have SunTour GPX 6/7/friction levers on my touing bike and was running a SunTour Edge rear derailer. But on a tour a few years ago, the chain somehow wrapped up around the freewheel and bent the derailer hanger in and bunged up the derailer cage. I bent the hanger back with a large adjustable wrench (steel frame) and limped home with poor shifting.

    When I got home I tried a Shimano 600 rear derailer I had laying around but I could not get it to shift well. So I got a used SunTour GPX rear derailer on eBay and it's been working great.

    Yeah,similar deal here. Put suntour index barends on a bike with otherwise shimano 7 speed stuff.Could never adjust it to shift the whole casette. Switched to a suntour GPX,and it works. A mtb with suntour 7 speed thumbshifters and otherwise shimano drivetrain works well.Go figger. Suntour also made another line of index components labeled 3000, 5000 and 7000, with the numbers preceeded by some sort of stylized character. and every part of the group including calipers and hubs was marked the same.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.