I ride a Basso frame (almost 10 yrs old) on full Record (probably older--I have the original Delta brakes) with Dura Ace Hubs on the old Mavic Open 4CD (circa 1993). I'm embarking on a 150 mile ride and just jumped on my husband's new Mercier Corvus outfitted with Shimano 105. It is so much smoother than my bike that I'm facing a dilemma...I can't determine whether or not my frame is worth keeping and converting or if I should just buy a new bike. I could easily get into full Ultegra or 105 and a triple crank with two new wheels for the price of a new bike complete with 105. The latter comes 90% assembled. Neither my husband or I are expert mechanics, but can get by....probably need at least $20-50 of assistance from a local shop. My Basso frame is Columbus Tubing CrMo....not a clue how it compares to the newer Reynolds. I would definitely have to replace the fork, headset and stem. Can someone please provide some insight...I figure my frame has about 18,000+ miles on it. I'm attached to my old bike (somewhat sentimental) and am torn between keeping it and trying to upgrade. I don't ride consistently and am not racing...so...am I just being foolish...should I go with the newer, less pizazz model??? I'm trying to be smart but economical too....
thanks in advance for your help and opinions!
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
New Bike or Upgrade old bike
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 22 March 2004
- Last activity
- 27 March 2004
- Original author
- dub42499
- Posts
- 13
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,802
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
I would keep your existing bike. Like you said, change fork, headset, bar tape. saddle and perhaps a new pair of wheels. That's about all you need. You could do a complete overhaul i.e. remove all parts, polish up, relube and reinstall. The bike will feel totally new.
Regards,
Sean -
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by dub42499
I ride a Basso frame (almost 10 yrs old) on full Record (probably older--I have the original Delta brakes) with Dura Ace Hubs on the old Mavic Open 4CD (circa 1993). I'm embarking on a 150 mile ride and just jumped on my husband's new Mercier Corvus outfitted with Shimano 105. It is so much smoother than my bike that I'm facing a dilemma...I can't determine whether or not my frame is worth keeping and converting or if I should just buy a new bike. I could easily get into full Ultegra or 105 and a triple crank with two new wheels for the price of a new bike complete with 105. The latter comes 90% assembled. Neither my husband or I are expert mechanics, but can get by....probably need at least $20-50 of assistance from a local shop. My Basso frame is Columbus Tubing CrMo....not a clue how it compares to the newer Reynolds. I would definitely have to replace the fork, headset and stem. Can someone please provide some insight...I figure my frame has about 18,000+ miles on it. I'm attached to my old bike (somewhat sentimental) and am torn between keeping it and trying to upgrade. I don't ride consistently and am not racing...so...am I just being foolish...should I go with the newer, less pizazz model??? I'm trying to be smart but economical too....
thanks in advance for your help and opinions!The only real difference with new steel is that it can be lighter, assuming guality construction in your old frame. I have several similar vintage frames I would not trade for newer. You can save considerable weight with an all CF fork, and light bars and stem. A set of wheels built around campy hubs and open pro rims won't break the bank and might be a worthwhile upgrade.The fork only saves weight, And I'd be more inclined to stick a newer drivetrain on it to start with.
-
Buy a new bike--- becuase it's a lot cheaper. You could buy a new alu frame bike and strip off the drivetrain cheaper than buy 105 stuff one piece at a time.
You can always look for someone who has upgraded their bike and buy a used drivetrain, coupled with newer bargain wheels from a shop and keep your old frame. Boudreaux's advice on a good stem/bars/fork is a good one becuase they could be used on another bike bike down the road. In fact, once you have nicer lightweight parts and good wheels, any medium range *sale bike* can be upgraded quickly.
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by dub42499
I ride a Basso frame (almost 10 yrs old) on full Record (probably older--I have the original Delta brakes) with Dura Ace Hubs on the old Mavic Open 4CD (circa 1993). I'm embarking on a 150 mile ride and just jumped on my husband's new Mercier Corvus outfitted with Shimano 105. It is so much smoother than my bike that I'm facing a dilemma...I can't determine whether or not my frame is worth keeping and converting or if I should just buy a new bike. I could easily get into full Ultegra or 105 and a triple crank with two new wheels for the price of a new bike complete with 105. The latter comes 90% assembled. Neither my husband or I are expert mechanics, but can get by....probably need at least $20-50 of assistance from a local shop. My Basso frame is Columbus Tubing CrMo....not a clue how it compares to the newer Reynolds. I would definitely have to replace the fork, headset and stem. Can someone please provide some insight...I figure my frame has about 18,000+ miles on it. I'm attached to my old bike (somewhat sentimental) and am torn between keeping it and trying to upgrade. I don't ride consistently and am not racing...so...am I just being foolish...should I go with the newer, less pizazz model??? I'm trying to be smart but economical too....
thanks in advance for your help and opinions!
Do you want a triple? .... or can you accomplish your desired gearing with a cassette swap?
What is wrong with what you have?
You can get smoother riding with some wider tires like the Avocet Carbon 12. If you can fit them, go for 25 or 28 mm. They cost the same as skinnny tires, absorb more shock, and last longer.
I am voting that you keep your exisitng frame. -
If you really like your frame and it's in good condition (i.e. not corroding) you could consider upgrading the components. However as others have said buying a new bike might end-up being less expensive in the long run depending upon what you decide to upgrade.
There are a few "new" (not necessarily better but new) things that a new bike would get you that your old frame can't. You'll almost certainly get a 1 1/8" diameter headset (as opposed to 1" on your bike). You'll have the latest rear dropout spacing (135mm?), which is narrower (120mm?) on your bike, however your steel frame can be spread to accept the wider rear axle.
This is something to think about as the narrower rear axles, 1" diameter headsets, 1" stems, etc. might become increasingly hard to find. Basically a new bike will bring you up to the most "current" (again not necessarily better) design standards.
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by dub42499
I ride a Basso frame (almost 10 yrs old) on full Record (probably older--I have the original Delta brakes) with Dura Ace Hubs on the old Mavic Open 4CD (circa 1993). I'm embarking on a 150 mile ride and just jumped on my husband's new Mercier my old bike (somewhat sentimental) and am torn between keeping it and trying to upgrade.
I don't ride consistently and am not racing...so...am I just being foolish...should I go with the newer, less pizazz model??? I'm trying to be smart but economical too....
thanks in advance for your help and opinions!My advise .Hang it on the wall to look at fondly with great memories. Find a good used bike on ebay or somewhere with Ultegra or better. Sometime you can get a bike with only a few hundred miles just like new for half the retail price. It would probably be a lot cheaper and you will get a new model bike. Go to a bike shop, find what you want and then find a deal on it.
😎
-
Wow...you've all given me a ton to think about...I ordered a Mercier Elle from BikesDirect.com....anyone have any experience with them? My husband got a Mercier Corvus from their site with good success... I received the Elle, but it was too small for me...sent it back today and am debating ordering the larger size on the full-size 700c wheels. Female specific bikes are quirky...
thinking my Basso is retired to use when my new bike is out of commission or in the shop...
-
Wow...you've all given me a ton to think about...I ordered a Mercier Elle from BikesDirect.com....anyone have any experience with them? My husband got a Mercier Corvus from their site with good success... I received the Elle, but it was too small for me...sent it back today and am debating ordering the larger size on the full-size 700c wheels. Female specific bikes are quirky...
thinking my Basso is retired to use when my new bike is out of commission or in the shop...
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by dub42499
Wow...you've all given me a ton to think about...I ordered a Mercier Elle from BikesDirect.com....anyone have any experience with them? My husband got a Mercier Corvus from their site with good success... I received the Elle, but it was too small for me...sent it back today and am debating ordering the larger size on the full-size 700c wheels. Female specific bikes are quirky...
thinking my Basso is retired to use when my new bike is out of commission or in the shop...Good choice (new bike vs upgrade). The Mercier Elle looks like a very good deal. Maybe with the new bike you will start riding more consistently. Then it will have been a real bargain!
Good luck.
-
Buy a new bike. You do not want to get stuck in the upgradeitus. It is a bad disease to acquire. I have had it in the past, not pretty. I ended up buying new and I have been so much happier. If you bundle components together on a new bike you are actually paying less than if seperate. Then after you have spent alot of money you will wish that you just went with a new bike because you will have realized that you could have gotten alot more for your dollar.
Ron
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by dub42499
Wow...you've all given me a ton to think about...I ordered a Mercier Elle from BikesDirect.com....anyone have any experience with them? My husband got a Mercier Corvus from their site with good success... I received the Elle, but it was too small for me...sent it back today and am debating ordering the larger size on the full-size 700c wheels. Female specific bikes are quirky...
thinking my Basso is retired to use when my new bike is out of commission or in the shop...Good deal! Not only will you have a great ride but you will feel better about it. Mental state is a big part of fitness and riding a new bike is cooler than and old bike. No, it is not all of the formula but a component of it.
-
Well...got the new bike and it rode great...however, it was too small...packed it back up, sent it back, and got one size up. This is much better...also makes me feel a bit better about it because it has the 700c vs 650c wheels. Although they aren't much difference and there's a ton of debate about performance out there, I didn't like having to have special tubes and special wheels, especially when it comes to SAG support...new size has 700c wheels. The 700c also seem more forgiving over bumps, etc...
Thank you all again...think I would have definitely gotten stuck in upgradeitus and I do really like the new bike. Definitely excited about the new ride and looking forward to the MS150!!!! 😉
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.