please help, I am trying to organise a christening on a budget! can anyone
give me the recipe for a fool-proof cake? also need ideas for finger buffet
food that I can cook in advance and freeze as am catering for 65 people!
thank you very much!
Lorna
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
need help for christening
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 28 April 2005
- Last activity
- 4 May 2005
- Original author
- Jules
- Posts
- 9
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 256
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"Jules" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
please help, I am trying to organise a christening on a budget! can anyone
give me the recipe for a fool-proof cake? also need ideas for finger buffet
food that I can cook in advance and freeze as am catering for 65 people!
thank you very much!
LornaThink about "pulled pork" this can be done with very inexpensive pork shoulder
like a Boston but or a fresh picnic both less than $1.50 per pound. Basically
you cook the living daylights out of the cuts. They can be sauced with a
vinegar and ketchup type of sauce. Normally the meat is smoked but you can
"cheat" by using liquid smoke. Use the chopped/shredded meat for sandwiches on
hamburger buns - extra sauce on the side. Make your own baked beans - at less
than $1.00 per pound dry it ain't a lot of money. Cole slaw and or corn on the
cob and you've got a sensational lunch.As far as the cake is concerned - pop for a Costco cake - it really is your best
value - it may net be the best cake but it should do nicely.Dimitri
-
Thank you Dimitri
"Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Jules" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
please help, I am trying to organise a christening on a budget! can
anyone
give me the recipe for a fool-proof cake? also need ideas for finger
buffet
food that I can cook in advance and freeze as am catering for 65 people!
thank you very much!
LornaThink about "pulled pork" this can be done with very inexpensive pork
shoulder like a Boston but or a fresh picnic both less than $1.50 per
pound. Basically you cook the living daylights out of the cuts. They can
be sauced with a vinegar and ketchup type of sauce. Normally the meat is
smoked but you can "cheat" by using liquid smoke. Use the
chopped/shredded meat for sandwiches on hamburger buns - extra sauce on
the side. Make your own baked beans - at less than $1.00 per pound dry it
ain't a lot of money. Cole slaw and or corn on the cob and you've got a
sensational lunch.As far as the cake is concerned - pop for a Costco cake - it really is
your best value - it may net be the best cake but it should do nicely.Dimitri
-
Dimitri said:
"Jules" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
please help, I am trying to organise a christening on a budget! can anyone
give me the recipe for a fool-proof cake? also need ideas for finger buffet
food that I can cook in advance and freeze as am catering for 65 people!
thank you very much!
LornaThink about "pulled pork" this can be done with very inexpensive pork shoulder
like a Boston but or a fresh picnic both less than $1.50 per pound. Basically
you cook the living daylights out of the cuts. They can be sauced with a
vinegar and ketchup type of sauce. Normally the meat is smoked but you can
"cheat" by using liquid smoke. Use the chopped/shredded meat for sandwiches on
hamburger buns - extra sauce on the side. Make your own baked beans - at less
than $1.00 per pound dry it ain't a lot of money. Cole slaw and or corn on the
cob and you've got a sensational lunch.As far as the cake is concerned - pop for a Costco cake - it really is your best
value - it may net be the best cake but it should do nicely.If you have a big electric roaster, you can slow roast a couple of whole
fresh picnics or a fresh ham until it falls apart. Pick all the meat
off the bone and mix with a little smoky barbeque sauce and put it in
the fridge or freezer while you do another batch. The roaster can
double as a heated serving dish.Do the same thing with a few frozen turkeys and it gets even cheaper.
It takes me about 6 hours to cook a still frozen turkey in my roaster.See what it would cost to order 30 whole roast chickens from Sam's or
Costco and have them delivered.Best regards,
Bob -
In article <[email hidden]>, zxcvbob
Quoted message said:
Do the same thing with a few frozen turkeys and it gets even cheaper.
It takes me about 6 hours to cook a still frozen turkey in my roaster.This is a great idea! I was going to suggest something like turkey
or ham, but I never knew you could cook them from frozen in the roaster.
I may experiment with this in the near future. 🙂 Normal temperatures?
What modifications do you do if any? Thanks!Regards,
Ranee--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
-
Ranee Mueller said:
In article <[email hidden]>, zxcvbob
Quoted message said:
Do the same thing with a few frozen turkeys and it gets even cheaper.
It takes me about 6 hours to cook a still frozen turkey in my roaster.This is a great idea! I was going to suggest something like turkey
or ham, but I never knew you could cook them from frozen in the roaster.
I may experiment with this in the near future. 🙂 Normal temperatures?
What modifications do you do if any? Thanks!I cook it on a rack. I dunno, 375° or thereabouts. Unless the bird is
huge and just barely fits, I turn it a couple of times, although I doubt
it's really necessary. I pull the "goody bag" out after an hour or so,
when it's thawed enough to do so. Once I left it in and it didn't hurt
anything. I usually don't try to remove the neck.Other than that, nothing special -- once it starts looking and smelling
done I start checking the temperature in the breast and the thigh.
Sometimes the thigh is hot and the breast still cold, unlike when you
cook a thawed bird.The turkey I cooked last week was about 15 or 16 pounds. I don't
remember the brand but it was 57¢ per pound at Wal-mart, the same price
they almost always are. Other brands were over $1 per pound, but I
don't want the turkey to be pumped with butter or anything like that.If you overcook it, it falls apart but is still moist. That's the
beauty of using a big covered roaster. A large amount of juice and fat
cooks out; you'll want to save that for soup, or to add some back to the
pulled meat.Best regards,
Bob -
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:03:52 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
"Jules" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
please help, I am trying to organise a christening on a budget! can anyone
give me the recipe for a fool-proof cake? also need ideas for finger buffet
food that I can cook in advance and freeze as am catering for 65 people!
thank you very much!
LornaThink about "pulled pork" this can be done with very inexpensive pork shoulder
like a Boston but or a fresh picnic both less than $1.50 per pound. Basically
you cook the living daylights out of the cuts. They can be sauced with a
vinegar and ketchup type of sauce. Normally the meat is smoked but you can
"cheat" by using liquid smoke. Use the chopped/shredded meat for sandwiches on
hamburger buns - extra sauce on the side. Make your own baked beans - at less
than $1.00 per pound dry it ain't a lot of money. Cole slaw and or corn on the
cob and you've got a sensational lunch.As far as the cake is concerned - pop for a Costco cake - it really is your best
value - it may net be the best cake but it should do nicely.My sisters-in-law organised a wedding cake from us and they got it
from Walmart. It was surprisingly good... Publix also has a very good
bakery section~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply -
Karen AKA Kajikit said:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:03:52 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
"Jules" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
please help, I am trying to organise a christening on a budget! can anyone
give me the recipe for a fool-proof cake? also need ideas for finger buffet
food that I can cook in advance and freeze as am catering for 65 people!
thank you very much!
LornaThink about "pulled pork" this can be done with very inexpensive pork shoulder
like a Boston but or a fresh picnic both less than $1.50 per pound. Basically
you cook the living daylights out of the cuts. They can be sauced with a
vinegar and ketchup type of sauce. Normally the meat is smoked but you can
"cheat" by using liquid smoke. Use the chopped/shredded meat for sandwiches on
hamburger buns - extra sauce on the side. Make your own baked beans - at less
than $1.00 per pound dry it ain't a lot of money. Cole slaw and or corn on the
cob and you've got a sensational lunch.As far as the cake is concerned - pop for a Costco cake - it really is your best
value - it may net be the best cake but it should do nicely.My sisters-in-law organised a wedding cake from us and they got it
from Walmart. It was surprisingly good... Publix also has a very good
bakery section~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to replyHasn't anyone noticed in this thread that the guy is from the U.K.????
Recommending Costco, Publix, etc. is a waste of time.gloria p
-
On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:29:34 GMT, Puester <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Hasn't anyone noticed in this thread that the guy is from the U.K.????
Recommending Costco, Publix, etc. is a waste of time.No I hadn't actually...
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.