Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Need a recumbent trike

Started by Cg · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,107 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
7 June 2004
Last activity
13 June 2004
Original author
Cg
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,107
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We are searching for a trike for our son. Where could we
    find good deal?

    Thanks

  2. cg scribed with passion and wit:

    Quoted message said:

    We are searching for a trike for our son. Where could we
    find good deal?

    Thanks

    How old is he?

    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  3. "cg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We are searching for a trike for our son. Where could we
    find good deal?

    Thanks

    Which country are you in? How old is your son? What type of
    trike would you like?

    regards,

    Andrew

    logotrikes.comlogotrikes.com

  4. EZ-3 USX delta trike: discs, suspension, 21 speed, folding, etc., very
    adjustable: $825
    I.E.Systems Slingshot (not the MASA) tadpole trike: drums
    & U brake, 63 speed, computer, etc., somewhat
    adjustable: $1000. I have them on consignment at
    Electric Sierra Cycles, 302 Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz,
    CA 95060, (831) 425-1593

    Chris

    [email hidden] (cg) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    We are searching for a trike for our son. Where could we
    find good deal?

    Thanks

  5. Christopher Jordan said:

    I.E.Systems Slingshot (not the MASA) tadpole trike: drums
    & U brake, 63 speed, computer, etc., somewhat
    adjustable: $1000. I have them on

    Could you please explain to me how a 63-speed bike gears? Is
    there a third gear somewhere? I looked at a picture of a 63-
    speed bike once and it looked like a 21-speed bike to me.

    Thanks bunches, Melinda

    --
    Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit is
    derived from the labor of the ox.

  6. Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply said:

    Could you please explain to me how a 63-speed bike
    gears? Is there a third gear somewhere? I looked at a
    picture of a 63-speed bike once and it looked like a 21-
    speed bike to me.

    Behold the SRAM DualDrive and its predecessors, the SRAM
    Spectro (nee Sachs) 3x7 and the Sachs 2x6 hubs. These
    combine an internally geared hub with a regular cassette and
    rear derailleur. When one of these hubs with a 7-speed
    cassette is combined with a triple crank it will produce 63
    gearing combinations (and around 20 distinct ratios).

    <http://www.sram.com/pavement/dualdrive/index.asp>.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Melinda Meahan

    BChristopher Jordan said:

    I.E.Systems Slingshot (not the MASA) tadpole trike: drums
    & U brake, 63 speed, computer, etc., somewhat
    adjustable: $1000. I have them on

    Could you please explain to me how a 63-speed bike gears? Is
    there a third gear somewhere? I looked at a picture of a 63-
    speed bike once and it looked like a 21-speed bike to me.

    Thanks bunches, Melinda

    --
    Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit is
    derived from the labor of the ox. [/B]

    Some recumbents utilize a gearing cluster between the cranks and rear wheel to add extra gearing. My Quetzal for example has a triple chain ring driving a 5 speed cassette which in turn drives a 7 speed rear wheel.( Total, 105 gears) This is done to gear up to the speed needed for a 20" rear wheel without going to a ridiculously large chain ring

  8. There are a couple fairly easy ways that I am aware of.

    Take an internally geared rear hub, slap a cluster/free
    wheel on it, and that in combination with the triple chain
    rings gives tons of extra gears.

    Another way, the way I did it on one of my trikes, was to
    put an extra derailleur and cluster in the middle of the
    bike frame. I have a triple chain ring, 3 gear ranges in the
    middle and 6 cogs at the rear - for a total of 54 gears. I
    have seen recumbents with a mid drive as well.

    Now in all these configurations, I am not sure how many of
    the gear ratios overlap of course, but there are more
    physical gear combinations at any rate.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I.E.Systems Slingshot (not the MASA) tadpole trike:
    drums & U brake, 63 speed, computer, etc., somewhat
    adjustable: $1000. I have them on

    Could you please explain to me how a 63-speed bike
    gears? Is there a third gear somewhere? I looked at a
    picture of a 63-speed bike once and it looked like a 21-
    speed bike to me.

    Thanks bunches, Melinda

  9. One way to add gears is using a mid range- 2 chains/extra
    hub, but on the Slingshot it has 3 in front to 7 gear
    cassette (21) multiplied by a 3x7 internal hub = 63.

    Still a darn heavy trike to pedal!

    Chris

    Quoted message said:

    Melinda Meahan wrote:

    Some recumbents utilize a gearing cluster between the
    cranks and rear wheel to add extra gearing. My Quetzal
    for example has a triple chain ring driving a 5 speed
    cassette which in turn drives a 7 speed rear wheel.(
    Total, 105 gears) This is done to gear up to the speed
    needed for a 20" rear wheel without going to a
    ridiculously large chain ring

    --

  10. SSHHHH!! Tom, you don't want to spread the secret! ;-)
    Right: 21 basic gears, then multiplied 3 times. I did that
    in 1980 with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer (mid range) then
    years later used a SACHS on a Brike to make it go like the
    devil but no one could understand my explanations with such
    a slow trike.

    then SRAM took over I guess. Fun fooling the crowd for a
    while!

    Chris

    Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<2isf5uFqjl4fU1@uni-
    berlin.de>...

    Quoted message said:
    Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply said:

    Could you please explain to me how a 63-speed bike
    gears? Is there a third gear somewhere? I looked at a
    picture of a 63-speed bike once and it looked like a 21-
    speed bike to me.

    Behold the SRAM DualDrive and its predecessors, the SRAM
    Spectro (nee Sachs) 3x7 and the Sachs 2x6 hubs. These
    combine an internally geared hub with a regular cassette
    and rear derailleur. When one of these hubs with a 7-speed
    cassette is combined with a triple crank it will produce
    63 gearing combinations (and around 20 distinct ratios).

    <http://www.sram.com/pavement/dualdrive/index.asp>.

  11. Thanks, folks. I thought that it might be something like
    that, but I couldn't see anything in any pictures I have
    seen of bikes with that many speeds to verify it.

    --
    Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit is
    derived from the labor of the ox.

  12. Yes, I have that ridiculously large chainring. Strikes fear
    in the hearts of people who walk closely past my bike. I
    have three distinctly tooh-shaped scars on my right knee
    where it ran into that chainring in an otherwise mild crash.

    When I fitted my friend's Vivo out, I set him up with a much
    nicer 9-speed-plus-hub system, and am thinking of changing
    to that myself.

    --
    David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Titusville, Florida
    USA community.webshots.comdavid luecke

    "Dan Burkhart" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Melinda Meahan said:
    Christopher Jordan said:

    I.E.Systems Slingshot (not the MASA) tadpole trike:
    drums & U brake, 63 speed, computer, etc.,
    somewhat adjustable: $1000. I have them on


    Could you please explain to me how a 63-speed bike
    gears? Is there a third gear somewhere? I looked at a
    picture of a 63- speed bike once


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it looked like a 21-speed bike to me. Thanks bunches,
    Melinda
    --
    Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit
    is derived from the labor of the ox.

    Some recumbents utilize a gearing cluster between the
    cranks and rear wheel to add extra gearing. My Quetzal
    for example has a triple chain ring driving a 5 speed
    cassette which in turn drives a 7 speed rear wheel.(
    Total, 105 gears) This is done to gear up to the speed
    needed for a 20" rear wheel without going to a
    ridiculously large chain ring

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.