General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Need A Recipe For Shark Fin Soup

Started by Alan S · · Last activity · 6 posts · 720 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 February 2006
Last activity
9 February 2006
Original author
Alan S
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
720
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone know where I could get a detailed recipe for Shark fin soup? I
    have found a few on the internet but they say things like "Prepared Shark
    Fin" and stuff like that. A lot of them call for "Dried Shark Fin". This is
    a fresh Shark fin and I want to cook it soon. Any info would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    - A -

  2. "Alan S" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know where I could get a detailed recipe for Shark fin soup? I
    have found a few on the internet but they say things like "Prepared Shark
    Fin" and stuff like that. A lot of them call for "Dried Shark Fin". This
    is a fresh Shark fin and I want to cook it soon. Any info would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    - A -

    It is really most uncool to eat shark fins. Tens of thousands of sharks are
    caught, then their fins are cut off, and they are thrown back to die a slow
    death. Now if you or a friend caught the shark and made good use of the rest
    of it, that's a different matter - but commercial fins are morally suspect.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. Peter Aitken said:

    It is really most uncool to eat shark fins. Tens of thousands of sharks are
    caught, then their fins are cut off, and they are thrown back to die a slow
    death. Now if you or a friend caught the shark and made good use of the rest
    of it, that's a different matter - but commercial fins are morally suspect.

    I thought it was more than uncool, Peter. If its not illegal, it should
    be.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  4. On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:28:42 GMT, "Alan S" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know where I could get a detailed recipe for Shark fin soup? I
    have found a few on the internet but they say things like "Prepared Shark
    Fin" and stuff like that. A lot of them call for "Dried Shark Fin". This is
    a fresh Shark fin and I want to cook it soon. Any info would be appreciated.

    Any recipe you find will be for a dried (prepared) shark fin. The
    shark fins go through various stages of preparation before they're
    ready to be using in a soup. You can't just make soup from a
    fresh shark fin - at least not a Chinese shark fin soup.

    Here's a link I posted a few years ago on the subject, complete
    with pictures. You could follow the initial steps for preparing a
    fin for drying, then use it as is from there.

    http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cdr.asp?url_file=/DOCREP/005/X3690E/x3690e1g.htm

    These steps are necessary for making a fin edible in a soup. Just
    boiling it in the soup isn't going do anything for you.

    -sw

  5. "cathyxyz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Peter Aitken said:

    It is really most uncool to eat shark fins. Tens of thousands of sharks
    are
    caught, then their fins are cut off, and they are thrown back to die a
    slow
    death. Now if you or a friend caught the shark and made good use of the
    rest
    of it, that's a different matter - but commercial fins are morally
    suspect.



    I would never eat a purchased Shark fin for the reasons you stated. We
    caught a big Shark last weekend so I figured if I was ever going to try it
    then this would be the time to do it because I do not advocate animal
    cruelty. Thanks for the moral policing, but what I really wanted was a good
    way to prepare Shark Fin.

    Quoted message said:

    I thought it was more than uncool, Peter. If its not illegal, it should
    be.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)


    It is not illegal to eat Shark fin. This is food that I personally hunted.
    The Shark fin trade is disgusting. What I asked was if anyone knew of a way
    to prepare fresh Shark fin.

    - A -

  6. Alan S said:

    "cathyxyz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Peter Aitken said:

    It is really most uncool to eat shark fins. Tens of thousands of
    sharks are
    caught, then their fins are cut off, and they are thrown back to
    die a slow
    death. Now if you or a friend caught the shark and made good use of
    the rest
    of it, that's a different matter - but commercial fins are morally
    suspect.



    I would never eat a purchased Shark fin for the reasons you stated. We
    caught a big Shark last weekend so I figured if I was ever going to
    try it then this would be the time to do it because I do not advocate
    animal cruelty. Thanks for the moral policing, but what I really
    wanted was a good way to prepare Shark Fin.

    Quoted message said:

    I thought it was more than uncool, Peter. If its not illegal, it
    should be.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)


    It is not illegal to eat Shark fin. This is food that I personally
    hunted. The Shark fin trade is disgusting. What I asked was if anyone
    knew of a way to prepare fresh Shark fin.

    - A -

    Try this:

    http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=228815

    a.. PREPARE AHEAD:
    1. In a small saucepan, cover the shark's fin with 4 cups of cold water
    and soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain off the soaking water, add
    4 cups of fresh cold water to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
    b.. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour. Drain off the
    water, rinse the shark's fin well under cold running water and drain again.
    c.. 2. In small bowl, cover the mushrooms with 1/2 cup warm water and let
    them soak for 30 minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon and discard the
    water. With a cleaver or sharp knife, cut away and discard the tough stems
    of the mmushroomsand shred the caps by placing them, one at a time, flat on
    a chopping boards, then cutting each of the caps into paper-thin slices
    horizontally. Cut the slices into the thinnest possible strips.
    d.. 3. Bone, skin and shred the chicken breast in the following fashion:
    Lay the whole chicken breast on its side on a chopping board. Holding the
    breast firmly in place with your hand, cut it lengthwise through the skin,
    along the curved breastbone, with a cleaver of sharp knife. Carefully cut
    all the meat from the bones on one side of the breastbone. Then grasp the
    meat in one hand and pull it off the bones and away from the skin - using
    the cleaver to free the meat if necessary. Turn the breast over and repeat
    on the other side. Remove each tube-shaped fillet from the boned breast
    meat, and pull out and discard the white threadlike membranes. Lay the
    breast meat and fillets flat and cut them horizontally into paper-thin
    slices.Then cut the slices into shreds about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and 1/8
    inch wide.
    e.. TO COOK:
    In a 3 to 4 quart saucepan, bring the chicken stock, shark's fin, soy
    sauce, salt and pepper to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat, and
    simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add the chicken and mushrooms, and stir
    thoroughly. Give the cornstarch mixture a quick stir to recombine it and add
    it to the soup. Cook, stirring constantly, until the soup thickens slightly.
    To serve. pour the soup into a tureen or individual soup bowls and garnish
    it with the ham. Serve at once.

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.