Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Nashbar : Mostly Junk For Sale ??

Started by Donald Gillies · · Last activity · 25 posts · 2,179 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 May 2004
Last activity
19 May 2004
Original author
Donald Gillies
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,179
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    Do we really need a selection of 47 different types of bicycle pumps,
    all of them junk?

    Do we really need to choose among 27 different types of seat bags, all
    all of them junk?

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day. Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ?? How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    The mountain bike craze isn't helping, because everything on a
    mountain bike has to be a little bit different than on a road bike,
    because, well, because, well, because it just has to be !!!

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    Surprising since Performance owns Nashbar.

    Quoted message said:

    Do we really need a selection of 47 different types of bicycle pumps,
    all of them junk?
    Do we really need to choose among 27 different types of seat bags, all
    all of them junk?

    I think you just found which parts have the highest mark ups. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day. Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ??

    I'm sure there are others, you just have to look for them.

    Quoted message said:

    How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    Ask Nashbar.

    -----------
    Alex

  3. "Donald Gillies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    Do we really need a selection of 47 different types of bicycle pumps,
    all of them junk?

    Do we really need to choose among 27 different types of seat bags, all
    all of them junk?

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day. Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ?? How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    The mountain bike craze isn't helping, because everything on a
    mountain bike has to be a little bit different than on a road bike,
    because, well, because, well, because it just has to be !!!

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Welcome to the world of superperfermabar! The same [censored]'s been happening across
    the street at Supergo too.

    PBS is the 600# gorilla, but they're just not cyclists any more...

    Mike

  4. Alex Rodriguez <[email hidden]> aszonygya:
    :Surprising since Performance owns Nashbar.

    Wow!!! Really? That explains why Performance ships from Ohio [and I have to
    pay sales tax].

    BTW, I like Nashbar [except for the sales tax]. My order just came in and has
    plenty of goodies. E.g., the cheapest Sora STI shifters I found on the
    internet.

    /Paul

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Alex Rodriguez <[email hidden]> aszonygya:
    :Surprising since Performance owns Nashbar.

    Wow!!! Really? That explains why Performance ships from Ohio [and I have to
    pay sales tax].

    Yes, it's true, but I believe they are operated independently.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  6. "Donald Gillies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    I like them, some of their stuff is really cheep especially around
    Christmas. Yeah, they got a lot of "[censored]" but who doesn't? I do wish they
    had a better selection, I like ordering from just one place. I don't think
    their stuff is [censored] but that's a relative term ... we have a store around
    New England called Benny's that has real [censored] for bikes, stuff that don't
    last 30 seconds *literally*. I don't ride a $5000 boutique bike either so I
    like it when I can spruce up a yard sale bike with new tires, cables,
    saddle, grip tape etc for $80.

    C.Q.C.

  7. David Kerber said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Alex Rodriguez <[email hidden]> aszonygya:

    Quoted message said:

    Surprising since Performance owns Nashbar.

    Wow!!! Really? That explains why Performance ships from Ohio [and I
    have to pay sales tax].

    Yes, it's true, but I believe they are operated independently.

    They bought Supergo, too, according to the mechanic I talked to a couple
    weeks ago.

  8. On 4 May 2004 11:17:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) may

    have said:

    I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    Do we really need a selection of 47 different types of bicycle pumps,
    all of them junk?

    "We" may not, but apparently Nashbar has found that there is a lot of
    partisanship and feature-shopping amongst pump buyers. Personally, I
    wouldn't buy a pump that I hadn't had in my hands first, but that's
    me.

    Quoted message said:

    Do we really need to choose among 27 different types of seat bags, all
    all of them junk?

    One bag buyer's junk is another's treasure, I'd say.

    Quoted message said:

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day.

    From my experience in the retail world: Inexpensive items outsell
    expensive ones by an average factor of 10 to 1. If you want the
    customer's money, you must offer what the customer is willing to buy.
    When the customers stop buying the junk, the merchants will stop
    carrying it. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart's future seems assured.

    Quoted message said:

    Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ??

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    Have you tried asking them?

    Quoted message said:

    The mountain bike craze isn't helping, because everything on a
    mountain bike has to be a little bit different than on a road bike,
    because, well, because, well, because it just has to be !!!

    MTB stuff is different from road in many places because the roadies
    demand light weight more than bulletproof strength, while the mtb
    riders are more concerned with making sure the bike doesn't fold up
    when landing a jump. In other places, the differences derive from the
    unshared ancestry; the road bikes descend from the road bikes of old,
    while the mtb has old 40-pound Schwinns in the family tree. It might
    be possible to achieve a greater commonality of components for a few
    minutes, but shortly the differing demands would cause the products to
    be customized to the market again. One size does not fit all.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  9. On Tue, 04 May 2004 20:21:36 GMT, "HardwareLust" <[email hidden]>

    may have said:
    David Kerber said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Alex Rodriguez <[email hidden]> aszonygya:
    > Surprising since Performance owns Nashbar.

    Wow!!! Really? That explains why Performance ships from Ohio [and I
    have to pay sales tax].

    Yes, it's true, but I believe they are operated independently.

    They bought Supergo, too, according to the mechanic I talked to a couple
    weeks ago.

    That explains why I get catalogs from places I've never ordered from,
    then. It's not like I have subscriptions to magazines that they could
    be trolling, or like I ever fill out those deceptively-labelled
    information-mining "warranty registration cards" that go straight to
    the marketing firms and never get recorded for warranty records.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    Have you tried asking them?

    Try this one on: Years ago I somehow got dropped from their list, and I can't
    get back on! I WANT to buy stuff from them now & then. I call and give them
    my customer # and ask for a catalog -- no catalog. I actually ORDERED tires
    over the phone and asked for a catalog. Received the tires, no catalogue.

    Go figure.

    Joe

  11. In addition to their 'quality products' (or lack their of) the customer
    service (for a return) didn't exactly impress the heck out of me. (That
    last point should be saved for another thread though).

    --

  12. [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    Do we really need a selection of 47 different types of bicycle pumps,
    all of them junk?

    Do we really need to choose among 27 different types of seat bags, all
    all of them junk?

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day. Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ?? How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    The mountain bike craze isn't helping, because everything on a
    mountain bike has to be a little bit different than on a road bike,
    because, well, because, well, because it just has to be !!!

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Hi, I think for the most part, Nashbar caters to the lower end of the
    market and to people just getting started. You could say that
    Performance covers the middle of the market, with Excel and Colorado
    Cyclist the upper end.
    They all have their place and they all cross over. Nashbar has some
    good deals, on their website. I just ordered a Dura-Ace front hub for
    $49.95. They were one of the few to offer the 28 hole. Performance
    will price match, but they don't carry the 28 hole.

    To me, one of the best deals is Team Performance and price matching.
    Recently they were giving 20% in points and I got them to match
    Nashbars $99.95 price for a DA freehub. By the way, Nashbar still has
    the DA freehub in 28,32,36 hole for $99.95.

    So, I don't agrre that they have mostly junk, or that their prices are
    all higher.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  13. [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got the latest Bike Nashbar catalogue. Not only are the prices
    uniformly _worse_ than performance bicycle shop, but if you look at
    the catalogue, its basically filled with lots of [censored].

    Strange, it seemed to me that Nashbar had better prices than
    Performance and a wider selection of components within a particular
    category. Not a scientific study, just an impression.

    Quoted message said:

    Do we really need a selection of 47 different types of bicycle pumps,
    all of them junk?

    There is a limited amount of variety at both Nashbar and Performance.

    Quoted message said:

    Do we really need to choose among 27 different types of seat bags, all
    all of them junk?

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day.

    My impression is that Performance does the latter, Nashbar the former.
    I like the former for some things, cheap Shimano clone mtb pedals, for
    instance, cheaper at Nashbar.

    Quoted message said:

    Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ??

    I like GiroPoste myself.

    Quoted message said:

    How do I get off of the bike Nashbar
    mailing list ??

    The mountain bike craze isn't helping, because everything on a
    mountain bike has to be a little bit different than on a road bike,
    because, well, because, well, because it just has to be !!!

    My experience just happens to be the opposite- I discovered that mtb
    pedals are much more practical for my daily rides on my roadbike.

    JP

  14. On 4 May 2004 11:17:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Donald Gillies)

    Quoted message said:

    Are Momo Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ??

    I thought I had a pretty extensive list of mail order sources in my
    bookmarks, but have never heard of Momo Velo. A google search turns up
    four references, but no web site. Who are these guys?

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  15. Quoted message said:

    Hi, I think for the most part, Nashbar caters to the lower end of the
    market and to people just getting started. You could say that
    Performance covers the middle of the market, with Excel and Colorado
    Cyclist the upper end.
    They all have their place and they all cross over. Nashbar has some
    good deals, on their website. I just ordered a Dura-Ace front hub for
    $49.95.

    Yes. Someone else who considers Dura Ace low end. I picked up some
    low end Centaur, Chorus parts from Nashbar recently. During one of
    their 20% off sales. Nashbar carries Centaur, Veloce, Chorus in the
    Campagnolo line. Performance carries Record only. Colorado Cyclist
    carries Record and Chorus. Excel carries Record, Chorus, Centaur, and
    Veloce. I suppose they all carry some Shimano stuff too.

    Quoted message said:

    To me, one of the best deals is Team Performance and price matching.
    Recently they were giving 20% in points and I got them to match
    Nashbars $99.95 price for a DA freehub. By the way, Nashbar still has
    the DA freehub in 28,32,36 hole for $99.95.

    I also used a Performance 20% off coupon, and Team Performance, and
    sales prices to get some low end Dura Ace shifters and cassette.
    Shifters were $195 before the 20% and 10% reductions. Net about $140.
    Not bad for low end. And of course the 20% and 10% sales prices
    forced me to buy lots of extra things I have no need for.

    I think Performance and Nashbar are two of the best mail order places
    for the cyclist who cares about money. Each has 20% off sales about
    once a year or so. Each has very good stuff on sale fairly often. If
    you catch things right, you will save at least 25%-50% off other mail
    order places. Some people might not think much of saving money. But
    I prefer saving a few hundred dollars a year on bike components or
    clothing. Its better in my pocket than in a retailer's pocket. Of
    course all of these sales do force me to buy things I don't need.
    Whereas the local bike shop prices and other mail order places don't
    induce me to part with anything but what is absolutely required.

  16. John Everett said:

    I thought I had a pretty extensive list of mail order sources in my
    bookmarks, but have never heard of Momo Velo. A google search turns up
    four references, but no web site. Who are these guys?

    have you not learned the fine art of top-level domain searching? it's
    better than google.

    http://www.momovelo.com
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  17. Donald Gillies said:

    I am wondering when this company decided to stock too many generic
    items, rather than the old way of doing things, which was to stock 5
    or 7 choices of high quality products, and call it a day. Are Momo
    Velo and Harris Cyclery the only mail order houses willing to stock
    quality parts any more ??

    You might try Rivendell - http://www.rivbike.com/ - certainly some of
    their obsessions are a little odd, but there's plenty of good stuff in
    their catalogue even if you are not so retrogrouchy as some...
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  18. From my experience in the retail world: Inexpensive items outsell

    Quoted message said:

    expensive ones by an average factor of 10 to 1. If you want the
    customer's money, you must offer what the customer is willing to buy.
    When the customers stop buying the junk, the merchants will stop
    carrying it. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart's future seems assured.

    I order from both Performance and Nasbar because I'm tired of going to
    2 or three shops to find what I need. I don't save money with the
    shipping charges but I save on aggravation. Recently I needed a set of
    7 speed shifters and special ordered them IN a performance shop. I was
    told 2-3 days till they arrive, it took 6 weeks and got the wrong
    part.

    Last weekend I went to LBS for a shock pump, NONE in stock, special
    order only. Went straight to Performance shop (I'm a glutton for
    punishment)and they just ran out of stock! They offered to let me "red
    phone order it". I went home and ordered it online.

    Seem that shops tend to "specialize" in what they sell. Some shops I
    go to for clothes, others for parts, others for accessories and still
    others to actually purchase a bike brand I prefer. Royal pain in the
    rear if you ask me.

  19. David Reuteler said:
    John Everett said:

    I thought I had a pretty extensive list of mail order sources in my
    bookmarks, but have never heard of Momo Velo. A google search turns up
    four references, but no web site. Who are these guys?

    have you not learned the fine art of top-level domain searching? it's
    better than google.

    http://www.momovelo.com

    The fine art of Google searching works when you know that it's
    "momovelo", not "momo velo". :-|

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  20. My Nashbar order came. Includes a used saddle [sold as new] and some missing
    parts. Nashbar says: send it back and will replace it + they will pay for
    postage. It is still a pain in the butt but I am willing to live with it in
    return for the cheap prices. Best regards, Paul

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.