Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Narrow Q factor roadie pedals causing knee pain---need advice

Started by ttk · · Last activity · 7 posts · 860 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 May 2004
Last activity
20 May 2004
Original author
ttk
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
860
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
    knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
    outward (hence I quite skiing-
    the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
    otherwise I don't get knee pain
    anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

  2. "ttk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
    knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
    outward (hence I quite skiing-
    the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
    otherwise I don't get knee pain
    anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

    I don't know how they compare, but you can adjust the Q factor with
    speedplays (actually you adjust the position of the cleat on the shoe, but
    the end result is the same). I played with my Zeros until my foot felt
    flat.

    HTH

  3. Look CX6/CX7 allow about 8mm sideways movement of the pedal body on the
    axle, so you can ride more toes out without heels/ankles hitting the cranks.

    Keywin pedals also have different length axles available.

    Nick

    "ttk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
    knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
    outward (hence I quite skiing-
    the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
    otherwise I don't get knee pain
    anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

  4. [email hidden] (ttk) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
    knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
    outward (hence I quite skiing-
    the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
    otherwise I don't get knee pain
    anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

    Time ATAC pedals allow rotational and lateral float, giving a lot of
    freedom to position/move your feet around.

    LGF

  5. << anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare? >><BR><BR>

    LOOK CX-6 has adjusteable q factor to about 1cm. SP has longer axle spindles
    available in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 inch increases plus the cleat can be moved well
    out.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. I use bebop pedals, as use a two bolt side by side with a plate between the
    screws and the cleat bed, regardless of your shoe I have quite a bit of
    lateral adjustment, and they are float pedals like the speedplay only their
    cleat is much more robust.

    "ttk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
    knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
    outward (hence I quite skiing-
    the SPD pedals are a little too wide and gives me some hot spots
    otherwise I don't get knee pain
    anybody know about how CX 6's, speedplay, Shimano SL's compare?

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.683 / Virus Database: 445 - Release Date: 5/13/2004

  7. ttk said:

    Looks seems a little narrow as are the new Time impact --getting some
    knee pain with both after 30-40 mile rides....my feet normally splay
    outward (hence I quite skiing-

    Orthotics might be another way to solve your problem, though obviously
    you'd want to see an orthopedist or podiatrist to get fitted. I recently
    got fitted to address a pronation problem and I noticed that the
    orthotics made me tend to orient more toes-forward than toes-out, to the
    point where I rotated my Egg Beater cleats a bit to get back to a
    neutral position.

    JLS
    --
    James Scott
    www.jls.cx

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.