UK and Europe · Public discussion

Mystery sound - scientific progress goes "clonk?"

Started by J-P.S · · Last activity · 6 posts · 770 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 July 2003
Last activity
23 July 2003
Original author
J-P.S
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
770
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. (I have a funny noise in my bike. I should start by mentioning that a decent LBS has had a look over
    it and found nothing, but see at the end.)

    My chain and cogs go clonk. I have a newish (four months) hybrid, kept in reasonable nick and
    cleaned a month or so ago. The clonk is similar in sound to that when you engage the pedals
    suddenly: a muffled metallic thud.

    It doesn't really transmit as vibration into the pedals, and it's repetitive with the approximate
    period of revolution of the back wheel (really the back cassette, I suppose, as when freewheeling
    there's nothing).

    What's bizarre is that it tends to go away when cycling downhill. This isn't a pressure on pedals
    thing: small pressure uphill gives quiet clunks; medium pressure downhill gives nothing. This
    intermittent nature may have foxed the LBS, as I cycled gently downhill to them.

    Any ideas, or ideas how I might diagnose? I would live with it but it sounds worrying, like money
    emptying itself from my bank account.

    J-P
    --
    He is a Man with Too Much Salt, like an Mormon on a Corner.

  2. j-p.s said:

    Any ideas, or ideas how I might diagnose? I would live with it but it sounds worrying, like money
    emptying itself from my bank account.

    Ahh... That noise!

    --
    Dave...

  3. j-p.s said:

    (I have a funny noise in my bike. I should start by mentioning that a decent LBS has had a look
    over it and found nothing, but see at the end.)

    My chain and cogs go clonk. I have a newish (four months) hybrid, kept in reasonable nick and
    cleaned a month or so ago. The clonk is similar in sound to that when you engage the pedals
    suddenly: a muffled metallic thud.

    It doesn't really transmit as vibration into the pedals, and it's repetitive with the approximate
    period of revolution of the back wheel (really the back cassette, I suppose, as when freewheeling
    there's nothing).

    What's bizarre is that it tends to go away when cycling downhill. This isn't a pressure on pedals
    thing: small pressure uphill gives quiet clunks; medium pressure downhill gives nothing. This
    intermittent nature may have foxed the LBS, as I cycled gently downhill to them.

    I suspect it is pressure related even though you think only "small" pressure uphill makes the noise.
    The pressure is probably less evenly applied there at least.

    Could be a faulty freewheel mechanism: frewheel body (hub part that cassette fits onto) may need
    replacing. These can make odd, unique and disturbing noises! If it is this, it will eventually fail
    altogether, meaning you won't be able to freewheel.

    Check wheels and tyres aren't fouling anything (allowing 2mm for flex). If it was in time with crank
    revolution, I would suspect the cranks or bottom bracket. Chain revolution: stiff link.

    Quoted message said:

    Any ideas, or ideas how I might diagnose? I would live with it but it sounds worrying, like money
    emptying itself from my bank account.

    Could you get another cyclist-who-knows-about-these-things or someone from LBS* to ride alongside
    and behind you? They may be able to pin-point the sound more clearly than you can from the saddle -
    and also watch for anything wobbling!

    * Alternatively, leave bike at shop and request they take it out for a proper test ride until they
    experience the problem for themselves.

    ~PB

  4. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:44:35 +0100, Pete Biggs scrawled: ) Could be a faulty freewheel mechanism:
    frewheel body (hub part that ) cassette fits onto) may need replacing. These can make odd, unique
    and ) disturbing noises! If it is this, it will eventually fail altogether, ) meaning you won't be
    able to freewheel.

    See, this is what I thought it was, and left it with the LBS. They reported nothing, and I had to
    agree that there was no noise in the 200 yards prior to reaching the LBS....

    This morning by the time I got out to Sandford-on-Thames I was making a noise fit to frighten
    children. I stopped and wiggled everything I could (on my bike, that is). Found it: the rear wheel
    cassette was hypermobile and could be translated along its axis by about three millimetres or more.

    By the time I had got to the LBS, it was much quieter and could only move a half a millimetre. But
    it was under warranty and they agreed it needed replacing for free. After four months that shouldn't
    happen, and they're returning it to Giant. It's now sorted and noiseless, and they put a new chain
    on too, obverously.

    ... A very odd noise. Like having three or four (or three-and-a-half) spokey-dokeys on my wheel.
    I'll remember that one, as did you 🙂 The relapses and remissions of it confused me no end, though.

    J-P
    --
    "But we make his love too narrow/ with false limits of our own,/ and we magnify his strictness/ with
    a zeal he will not own."

  5. Colin said:

    Check your pockets. I recently had a worrying "[censored]" on every turn of the pedals: turned out to
    be the house key and some change striking each other. :-)

    I once spent /weeks/ trying to track down an annoying rattle on my Kingcycle, which turned out to be
    my watch strap....

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  6. Quoted message said:

    Check your pockets. I recently had a worrying "[censored]" on every turn of the pedals: turned out to
    be the house key and some change striking each


    other.

    Quoted message said:

    :-)

    I find it a good idea to keep some loose nuts and bolts in a tobacco case in your panniers. You'll
    never hear any minor noises then!

    Pete.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.