UK and Europe · Public discussion

My new Thorn raven Tour

Started by Pinky · · Last activity · 28 posts · 934 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
8 November 2006
Last activity
13 November 2006
Original author
Pinky
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
934
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS Cycles
    ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

    Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
    pic no 1

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourA_small.JPG

    I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
    was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

    Drove back home to South Yorkshire on Monday morning and I have now done
    about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both day and night
    conditions.
    this in my catless kitchen ( ie no room to swing one)

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourb_small.JPG

    and by flash in the lobby of my flat underneath my VP2

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourE_small.JPG
    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourD.JPG

    I think that SJS Cycles have mounted my "butterfly handlebars" upside down
    but I shall alter them this w/e.

    But the "feel" of the velo is absolutely just right. We seem to have slotted
    together from square one and local hills this morning had the feel like when
    I return from my 5 to 7 week annual tour -- ie v easy -- and I am carrying
    the normal winter over indulgence weight.

    The pics may need clicking on to see properly! Not used to giving link on
    here -- sorry for any difficulties encountered.

    Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
    collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
    me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  2. "Pinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS
    Cycles ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

    Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
    pic no 1

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourA_small.JPG

    I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
    was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

    Drove back home to South Yorkshire on Monday morning and I have now done
    about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both day and night
    conditions.
    this in my catless kitchen ( ie no room to swing one)

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourb_small.JPG

    and by flash in the lobby of my flat underneath my VP2

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourE_small.JPG
    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourD.JPG

    I think that SJS Cycles have mounted my "butterfly handlebars" upside down
    but I shall alter them this w/e.

    But the "feel" of the velo is absolutely just right. We seem to have
    slotted together from square one and local hills this morning had the feel
    like when I return from my 5 to 7 week annual tour -- ie v easy -- and I
    am carrying the normal winter over indulgence weight.

    The pics may need clicking on to see properly! Not used to giving link on
    here -- sorry for any difficulties encountered.

    Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
    collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
    me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

    Quoted message said:

    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

    Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
    but it includes a whinge)

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  3. Pinky said:


    Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
    but it includes a whinge)

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

    Very nice, I am jealous.

    Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
    crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when
    they're writing on a subject I know something about." (Keith F. Lynch)

  4. Pinky said:

    Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
    but it includes a whinge)

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

    Stunning bike. All it needs now is some carbon bling.

    If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
    run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
    cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
    cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
    the front light bulb to 2.4w.

  5. "Pinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS
    Cycles ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

    Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
    pic no 1

    I hope you have zillions of miles of happy pedalling on your new steed.

    Cheers, helen s

  6. "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pinky said:

    Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website
    (sorry
    but it includes a whinge)

    http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%202.htm

    Stunning bike. All it needs now is some carbon bling.

    If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
    run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
    cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
    cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
    the front light bulb to 2.4w.

    Tom

    Yes tks for that.

    I was considering doing it and wondered why they upgraded the front light so
    that the hub dyno wouldn't run the rear light. I thought a downgrade might
    help.

    I have already mounted an additional "see me" flashing LED front light on
    the handle bars, and a Halfords bulb horn.

    I have only a rear rack mounted since I shall be towing a trailer on my
    camping tours and just carry a light pannier for tools and wet weather
    gear -- although, since I intend to head for Italy on my routine start date
    of 19 May, I hope to have warmer weather all the way through my circular
    tour next year

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  7. Pinky said:

    I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS Cycles
    ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
    collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
    me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

    <sniff sniff> That looks *suspiciously* like a Rohloff.

  8. <evil snipping>

    Quoted message said:

    I have now done about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both
    day and night conditions.
    this in my catless kitchen

    Cripes, 50 miles in a kitchen that small is good going 😉

    Thanks for the kitchen shots - My Grandmother had matching plates and
    dishes one of your bowls on the left <daydreams of beautiful, beautiful
    cooking>.

    p.s. four of the photos on your Santiago de Compostela page
    <url:www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%203.htm> link to files on your
    hard drive. Finally I work out why you call yourself Pinky!

  9. Pinky said:

    I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
    was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

    Funny you should say that, I was toodling home from work earlier in the
    week, and I just noticed how totally comfortable my Thorn Raven is.
    Despite the cold and dark, I felt I could ride all night. I've
    regular swept bars, fitted with Ergon grips + bar-ends, and additional
    inboard bar-ends as well, which is very comfortable (I never liked
    those German-tourist bars you have)..
    Magura HS-33s are also a nice addition to the thorn for low
    maintenance, effective stopping.
    Also, I've been meaning to get a chainguard, like the Fahrradbau Noehl
    one, but I email him and he refused to let me have one unless I agreed
    to change the chainring & sprocket at the same time.

  10. "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
    run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
    cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
    cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
    the front light bulb to 2.4w.

    Even if you use an LED rear lamp?

    (I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
    people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
    draw)

    cheers,
    clive

  11. Clive George said:

    "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
    run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
    cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
    cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
    the front light bulb to 2.4w.

    Even if you use an LED rear lamp?

    (I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
    people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
    draw)

    The standard setup for an all-LED dynamo powered BuM/SON setup (with
    DToplight rear) is 2.4W front lamp. Presumably they have their reasons...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Don Whybrow said:


    Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
    crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

    Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
    Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

    SW

  13. Clive George said:

    "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
    run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
    cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
    cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
    the front light bulb to 2.4w.

    Even if you use an LED rear lamp?

    (I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
    people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
    draw)

    I have a Seculite Plus, from the photos, Pinky has a Rearlight for
    mudguard, both shown on:

    http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/ruecklicht3-e

    SJS are reluctant to wire up the rear light for some reason, and
    upgrade the standard 2.4w Lumotec bulb with a 3w bulb.

    My wording to Pinky was not great. The final sentence should have
    been, "It is advisable to downgrade the front light bulb to 2.4w."

  14. "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    SJS are reluctant to wire up the rear light for some reason, and
    upgrade the standard 2.4w Lumotec bulb with a 3w bulb.

    Well, it's easier for them to keep all the wires at the front, which means
    cheaper. And battery LED rear lamps are pretty darn good these days - I'd
    certainly have one in preference to a filament bulb rear lamp. And it gives
    a better front light. So there's three reasons..

    (not that I'd do that - but like I said before, my lights are a bit
    home-brew)

    cheers,
    clive

  15. On 9 Nov 2006 10:20:18 -0800, "SW" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Don Whybrow said:


    Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
    crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

    Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
    Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

    There's nothing wrong with using SJS, so long at you're not looking
    for mail order bargains. Their customer service is exemplary, even if
    their postage and packing charges are exorbitant.

    The Raven Tour must be one of the best bikes in its category and you
    can expect an excellent standard of sevice. Just be prepared to pay
    through the nose if you order extra bits of carbon bling to
    accessorise your bike.

  16. Lets face it the Thorn Raven Tour, with its Rohloff hub is at the cheap end
    of the expensive bike market. It is nevertheless the most expensive bike I
    have ever bought!
    However I find it to be a good ride and my early experiences are totally
    positive -- and the early short coming in the new gear hub are much as
    forecast. I have done nearly 200 miles on it now and am very happy with it.

    However I cannot but also say that SJS are, in this my one experience of
    shopping with them, not very buyer friendly. My invoice was made out to "
    Mrs" and they seemed only too pleased to get me out of their shop with
    minimum fuss. As I mentioned before it was "Carnival Day" in Bridgewater and
    it is, apparently the biggest event of its kind in UK. So I will temper my
    criticism a bit.

    I have found generally a lack of perception of the "value" or "cost" in
    areas involving a large sums of money. £2000 ( the likely final "on the
    road" cost of my new velo) is a lot of money to me. And as my sons wife said
    on Friday evening last, " In the end it is only a bike!"

    I think she had a point!

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

    "SW" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Don Whybrow said:


    Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
    crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

    Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
    Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

    SW

  17. SW said:
    Don Whybrow said:

    Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
    crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

    Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
    Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

    Personally I have my eye on getting one built by Ben:

    http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/853_commuter.shtml

    The combination of Rohloff, Schlumpf & Schmidt gives me goosebumps.

    OK I know he may not be the fastest to deliver, but ...

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Turn on, log in, fight spam.

  18. Pinky said:

    Lets face it the Thorn Raven Tour, with its Rohloff hub is at the cheap end
    of the expensive bike market. It is nevertheless the most expensive bike I
    have ever bought!
    However I find it to be a good ride and my early experiences are totally
    positive -- and the early short coming in the new gear hub are much as
    forecast. I have done nearly 200 miles on it now and am very happy with it.

    However I cannot but also say that SJS are, in this my one experience of
    shopping with them, not very buyer friendly. My invoice was made out to "
    Mrs" and they seemed only too pleased to get me out of their shop with
    minimum fuss. As I mentioned before it was "Carnival Day" in Bridgewater and
    it is, apparently the biggest event of its kind in UK. So I will temper my
    criticism a bit.

    I have found generally a lack of perception of the "value" or "cost" in
    areas involving a large sums of money. £2000 ( the likely final "on the
    road" cost of my new velo) is a lot of money to me. And as my sons wife said
    on Friday evening last, " In the end it is only a bike!"

    I think she had a point!

    No one would so much as blink if you spent £2000 on a motor vehicle to
    take you 25 miles each way to work. And the price of an annual season
    ticket Weybridge to Waterloo is £1,868; the distance, 25 miles.

  19. SW said:
    Don Whybrow said:

    Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
    crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

    Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
    Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

    I used a Surly Karate Monkey which worked ok.

  20. Don Whybrow said:

    Personally I have my eye on getting one built by Ben:

    http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/853_commuter.shtml

    The combination of Rohloff, Schlumpf & Schmidt gives me goosebumps.

    "a total gear range of 13 to 133 inches"

    must be some commute !

    SW

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.