Road Cycling · Public discussion

My New $8 Rockhopper

Started by maxo · · Last activity · 40 posts · 1,530 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 March 2005
Last activity
24 March 2005
Original author
maxo
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,530
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

    Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
    compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

    It's a late eighties I think with full Deore, including hubs. Not a single
    chip in the paint believe it or not. The drivetrain shows zero wear. The
    rims are groovy dark anodized Saturae's (Specialized house brand with a
    neat round shape)--again with zero brake pad wear.
    Spokes seem to be Wheelsmith.

    Tires are brand new 26x1.5" Panaracer slicks, the Blackburn rack appears
    to be unused, with no wear marks.

    Freaky! I've been looking for an old hard-tail to make into a city beater,
    but thought I'd spend a fifty on it and then have to spend another hundred
    on fresh cables, tires, rack, and whatnot.

    It's a size too small, so I'll have to buy a new seatpost--it's an inch
    above the limit in the pic. Feels right though.

    Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance] 😄

    picture:
    http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

  2. Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:02:57 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, maxo
    <[email hidden]> concluded:
    \snip

    Quoted message said:

    It's a size too small, so I'll have to buy a new seatpost--it's an inch
    above the limit in the pic. Feels right though.

    Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance] 😄

    picture:
    http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

    There's egg on the rings but at least it's the right colour!
    --
    zk

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    maxo said:

    Freaky! I've been looking for an old hard-tail to make into a city beater,
    but thought I'd spend a fifty on it and then have to spend another hundred
    on fresh cables, tires, rack, and whatnot.

    This is obviously Destiny at work.

    Congrats on a great score. (Or, 2 great scores.)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  4. Zoot Katz said:


    There's egg on the rings but at least it's the right colour!

    --

    for an eighties bike I got lucky, some can be pretty hideous! (like my
    black and hot pink Trek racer from '89)

    I did forget how bizarre biopace rings feel--I'm a high cadence
    singlespeeder for the most part, I'll have to halve my rpms on this sucker
    to feel comfy. LOL

    I did ride biopace during my two years of mountainbiking in the late
    eighties so it's not a shock at least.

    I do LOVE the old SIS shifters with friction up front and a choice of
    friction/SIS rear.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    maxo said:

    I do LOVE the old SIS shifters with friction up front and a choice of
    friction/SIS rear.

    They're a lot nicer to replace cables in too, than the
    (Shimano) GripShifts with the tiny, losable screws, on
    my Norco Mountaineer. I've been thinking about moving
    the SIS top-mounts off the old Bigfoot and onto the
    Mountaineer, and dispensing with the GripShifts.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  6. Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:01:34 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, maxo

    Quoted message said:

    I did ride biopace during my two years of mountainbiking in the late
    eighties so it's not a shock at least.

    They're back!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/probikes/?id=julich_csc_cervelo

    (but 90 degrees off this time (again))
    --
    zk

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    maxo said:

    Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

    Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
    compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

    It's a late eighties I think with full Deore, including hubs. Not a single
    chip in the paint believe it or not. The drivetrain shows zero wear.

    Quoted message said:

    Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance] 😄

    picture:
    http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

    Congratulations! A first-rate find.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  8. maxo said:

    Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

    Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a


    secret

    Quoted message said:

    compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

    Where did you say this thrift store was again?

  9. Peter Cole said:


    maxo said:

    Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

    Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a


    secret

    Quoted message said:

    compartment in the tail bag. *grin*


    Where did you say this thrift store was again?

    Nashville, Tennessee, so you can imagine--99.9% of bikes at thrift shops
    are X-mart bikes.

    If I lived in a college town like Madison Wisconsin and its much higher
    percentage of good thrift shop bikes--I'd probably have a herd of a few
    dozen bikes --it's hard to say no, especially when you see a bike you
    wanted in, say '86--and there it is for twenty bucks! :P

    btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new! I am removing the
    hideous decals and the one on the bottom tube is being a pain. Any hints
    other than a hair dryer & nailpolish remover?

  10. "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

    What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  11. Claire Petersky said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

    What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

    '88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
    Specialized lineup from that year, I wanted one in high school, but had to
    settle for a Shogun Prairie Breaker. LOL.

    The indexing works like a charm after a clean and a lube.

    6 speeds is plenty for a guy that is used to riding a single.

    Again, I must repeat, not a single scratch on the paint rims or anything.

    I can't decide on whether to ride the thing in the woods or make it into a
    utility bike...it rolls so sweetly on pavement with the 1.5 slicks, I just
    need to hack four inches off the bars...

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    maxo said:

    btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new! I am removing the
    hideous decals and the one on the bottom tube is being a pain. Any hints
    other than a hair dryer & nailpolish remover?

    Some folks like Goo Gone[tm]. I've never used it,
    so I don't know if it might attack the paint.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  13. Tom Keats said:

    Some folks like Goo Gone[tm]. I've never used it, so I don't know if it
    might attack the paint.

    good stuff if you need it, but probably the scariest solvent I've ever
    used--it's collection of lengthy carbon chains will give you a buzz you'll
    never forget--wicked wicked fumes.

    Might have to buy another can, or try another one of my least favourite
    solvents, throttle body cleaner. Respirator recommended.

    At least the decals weren't clear coated--the eighties were a bad era for
    graphic design and I need all the help I can get.

    aside: I took it for a little beer run this eve and was again
    impressed--such a supple little ride, considering the compact frame, and
    to be honest, I've never been a huge fan of indexed shifting (except off
    road where it's a godsend), but those first generation Deore thumbshifters
    are as good as it gets--up there with indexed bar-ends. Simple, not
    "integrated" with anything, and straightforward.

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    maxo said:

    aside: I took it for a little beer run this eve and was again
    impressed--such a supple little ride, considering the compact frame, and
    to be honest, I've never been a huge fan of indexed shifting (except off
    road where it's a godsend), but those first generation Deore thumbshifters
    are as good as it gets--up there with indexed bar-ends. Simple, not
    "integrated" with anything, and straightforward.

    Slightly undersized frames and sloping downtubes can be
    convenient for times when you've gotta mount by stepping
    through.

    My rear der's thumbshifter has more clicks than the 6-speed
    FW has sprockets. I never did get it set up to
    2 clicks = 1 shift all across the spread (but I didn't try
    all that hard.) Ended up having to count clicks. Shifting
    from one of the sprockets to the next took 3 clicks instead
    of 2. But it helped me keep track of where I was in the
    shift pattern. Maybe it's supposed to be like that? I dunno.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  15. maxo said:

    Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

    Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
    compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

    It's a late eighties I think with full Deore, including hubs. Not a single
    chip in the paint believe it or not. The drivetrain shows zero wear. The
    rims are groovy dark anodized Saturae's (Specialized house brand with a
    neat round shape)--again with zero brake pad wear.
    Spokes seem to be Wheelsmith.

    Tires are brand new 26x1.5" Panaracer slicks, the Blackburn rack appears
    to be unused, with no wear marks.

    Freaky! I've been looking for an old hard-tail to make into a city beater,
    but thought I'd spend a fifty on it and then have to spend another hundred
    on fresh cables, tires, rack, and whatnot.

    It's a size too small, so I'll have to buy a new seatpost--it's an inch
    above the limit in the pic. Feels right though.

    Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance] 😄

    picture:
    http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

    That's my kind of shopping.

    Great score!

    Ron

  16. "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

    What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

    '88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
    Specialized lineup from that year,

    Mine's an '88, too, and it has indexing. But I don't remember having that
    cool paint job available.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  17. Claire Petersky said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    > btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

    What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

    '88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
    Specialized lineup from that year,

    Mine's an '88, too, and it has indexing. But I don't remember having that
    cool paint job available.

    Cool paint job, oh dear! It really only looks good when I ride it with my
    'flashdance' sweatshirt on.

    LOL

  18. maxo said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:22:03 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

    > "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >> btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!
    >
    > What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

    '88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
    Specialized lineup from that year,

    Mine's an '88, too, and it has indexing. But I don't remember having
    that
    cool paint job available.

    Cool paint job, oh dear! It really only looks good when I ride it with my
    'flashdance' sweatshirt on.

    LOL

    I had a Rockhopper in 86 and it had indexing (by this, I think you mean
    "click shifting"😉. I still miss thumb shifters -- easy to use, light, and
    cheap.

    --
    Bob in CT

  19. Bob M said:

    I had a Rockhopper in 86 and it had indexing (by this, I think you mean
    "click shifting"😉. I still miss thumb shifters -- easy to use, light, and
    cheap.

    Maybe I'm thinking wrong--perhaps 88 was when they started coming with
    full Deore group, which made the bike a really great value in its day.

    My first MTB in 85 had bull moose handlebars and friction shift shimano. I
    upgraded to some gorgeous and indestructable Suntour solid aluminum
    thumbthifters with a micro-ratcheting mechanism. I wish I could recall the
    model. :/

    Yeah, the non integrated shifter really opens up all kinds of
    possibilities when resurrecting an older mtb.

  20. maxo said:
    Bob M said:

    I had a Rockhopper in 86 and it had indexing (by this, I think you mean
    "click shifting"😉. I still miss thumb shifters -- easy to use, light,
    and
    cheap.

    Maybe I'm thinking wrong--perhaps 88 was when they started coming with
    full Deore group, which made the bike a really great value in its day.

    My first MTB in 85 had bull moose handlebars and friction shift shimano.
    I
    upgraded to some gorgeous and indestructable Suntour solid aluminum
    thumbthifters with a micro-ratcheting mechanism. I wish I could recall
    the
    model. :/

    Yeah, the non integrated shifter really opens up all kinds of
    possibilities when resurrecting an older mtb.

    I still long for $500 or $800 bikes that are the value those were (of
    course, now we have full or at least front suspension, which I'd much
    rather have).

    --
    Bob in CT

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.