General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My Low Carb Weight Watchers Points

Started by joshv · · Last activity · 10 posts · 568 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 September 2005
Last activity
19 September 2005
Original author
joshv
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
568
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My wife is on Weight Watchers. It has been working well enough for
    her. But a consistent source of amusement for me has been the "Points"
    system, which penalizes fat in the extreme, to the extent that if one
    were try to do low carb and follow the points system you'd have to
    starve yourself to stay within your points allotment.

    I decided to look up the formula for the points system and input my
    average daily calories and fat grams from fitday.

    For the last month

    Avg Calories: 2075
    Avg Fat grams: 125
    Avg Prot grms: 124
    Avg Fiber grm: 12

    The points formula is: Calories / 50 + fat / 12 - min{fiber,4}/5

    That last part is a bit dodgy, it means that you take the number of
    grams of fiber in a serving, or 4, whichever is less, and then divide
    by 5. As I don't really have good per serving data, I will just knock
    off 3 points as a good guess for fiber.

    So how many points do I eat a day on average?

    2075 / 50 + 124 / 12 - 3 = 49 points

    My wife gets 28 points a day, and she weighs a little bit more than I
    do (they assign points by weight, your points allotment going down as
    you lose).

    According to Weigth Watchers I am eating an insane number of points and
    should be gaining weight - but I have in fact lost about 15 lbs in two
    months. Huh.

  2. So how does your wife feel about this. I mean, she must have noticed that
    you get to eat a lot more food while losing weight. Hasn't this made her
    curious about trying LC herself?
    A guy I work with did WW for about a year and only lost 30 pounds on the
    points system. He cheated a lot because he said it was just too hard to
    follow since he was hungry all the time. He's since gained most of the
    weight back in less than 4 months.

    joshv said:

    My wife is on Weight Watchers. It has been working well enough for
    her. But a consistent source of amusement for me has been the "Points"
    system, which penalizes fat in the extreme, to the extent that if one
    were try to do low carb and follow the points system you'd have to
    starve yourself to stay within your points allotment.

    I decided to look up the formula for the points system and input my
    average daily calories and fat grams from fitday.

    For the last month

    Avg Calories: 2075
    Avg Fat grams: 125
    Avg Prot grms: 124
    Avg Fiber grm: 12

    The points formula is: Calories / 50 + fat / 12 - min{fiber,4}/5

    That last part is a bit dodgy, it means that you take the number of
    grams of fiber in a serving, or 4, whichever is less, and then divide
    by 5. As I don't really have good per serving data, I will just knock
    off 3 points as a good guess for fiber.

    So how many points do I eat a day on average?

    2075 / 50 + 124 / 12 - 3 = 49 points

    My wife gets 28 points a day, and she weighs a little bit more than I
    do (they assign points by weight, your points allotment going down as
    you lose).

    According to Weigth Watchers I am eating an insane number of points and
    should be gaining weight - but I have in fact lost about 15 lbs in two
    months. Huh.


    -----
    Bev

  3. joshv said:

    My wife is on Weight Watchers. It has been working well enough for
    her. But a consistent source of amusement for me has been the "Points"
    system, which penalizes fat in the extreme, to the extent that if one
    were try to do low carb and follow the points system you'd have to
    starve yourself to stay within your points allotment.

    I decided to look up the formula for the points system and input my
    average daily calories and fat grams from fitday.

    For the last month

    Avg Calories: 2075
    Avg Fat grams: 125
    Avg Prot grms: 124
    Avg Fiber grm: 12

    The points formula is: Calories / 50 + fat / 12 - min{fiber,4}/5

    That last part is a bit dodgy, it means that you take the number of
    grams of fiber in a serving, or 4, whichever is less, and then divide
    by 5. As I don't really have good per serving data, I will just knock
    off 3 points as a good guess for fiber.

    So how many points do I eat a day on average?

    2075 / 50 + 124 / 12 - 3 = 49 points

    My wife gets 28 points a day, and she weighs a little bit more than I
    do (they assign points by weight, your points allotment going down as
    you lose).

    According to Weigth Watchers I am eating an insane number of points and
    should be gaining weight - but I have in fact lost about 15 lbs in two
    months. Huh.

    There are a number of articles on being able to lose more weight with a
    low carb diet than on a low fat diet.... even if the low carb diet has
    more calories.

    Here is one of many similar articles, and it was posted here just a few
    days ago.

    LINK

    http://my.webmd.com/content/article/110/109800.htm

    In one sense, what you are saying is really old news....

    When I was young and pretty active, I lost a lot of weight while eating
    more or less a low fat diet.

    When I was older and pretty active, I couldn't lose much weight at all
    on a low fat diet. Lost nearly 60 lbs on low carb, though.

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
    3) Don't Diet Without Supplimental Nutrients... Chapter 23 title, Atkins
    book
    4) A sensible eating plan, and follow it. (Atkins, Self Made or Other)

  4. Oh no, this is nothing new at all. I just thought it would be an
    interesting exercise to calculate my "points", because I knew they'd be
    outrageously high.

    What baffles me is that it's usually the opponents of low carb (Weight
    Watchers among them) who say "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" -
    no, not on the points system, some calories are "special".

  5. My wife did low carb once, but didn't really control how much she ate,
    so it didn't work for her. She is the type that needs structure, and
    "eat protein and fat until your are satisfied" wasn't really enough
    structure for her. The "points" system and the weekly meetings seem to
    give her the structure she needs to control calories.

    I am somewhat the same way, but I chose to use fitday instead of the
    points system to make sure I am controlling carbs, and keeping the
    calories down. If I don't watch calories I tend to start eating more,
    and more calorie dense foods (nuts, etc...).

    My wife tends to eat relatively few carbs though, as we share most
    meals. Sometimes she might add a small portion of rice, or substitute
    a lower fat ingredient in her serving. Her diet is probably moderate
    carb, high protein, moderate fat which I think works out ok in the
    points system - my "extreme" of fat intake on the otherhand breaks the
    poor little points calculator.

    -josh

    Bev-Ann said:

    So how does your wife feel about this. I mean, she must have noticed that
    you get to eat a lot more food while losing weight. Hasn't this made her
    curious about trying LC herself?
    A guy I work with did WW for about a year and only lost 30 pounds on the
    points system. He cheated a lot because he said it was just too hard to
    follow since he was hungry all the time. He's since gained most of the
    weight back in less than 4 months.

  6. Bev-Ann said:

    So how does your wife feel about this. I mean, she must have noticed that
    you get to eat a lot more food while losing weight. Hasn't this made her
    curious about trying LC herself?
    A guy I work with did WW for about a year and only lost 30 pounds on the
    points system. He cheated a lot because he said it was just too hard to
    follow since he was hungry all the time. He's since gained most of the
    weight back in less than 4 months.

    I had similar experience, dieting by eating less made me hungry all
    the time.

    i

    Quoted message said:
    joshv said:

    My wife is on Weight Watchers. It has been working well enough for
    her. But a consistent source of amusement for me has been the "Points"
    system, which penalizes fat in the extreme, to the extent that if one
    were try to do low carb and follow the points system you'd have to
    starve yourself to stay within your points allotment.

    I decided to look up the formula for the points system and input my
    average daily calories and fat grams from fitday.

    For the last month

    Avg Calories: 2075
    Avg Fat grams: 125
    Avg Prot grms: 124
    Avg Fiber grm: 12

    The points formula is: Calories / 50 + fat / 12 - min{fiber,4}/5

    That last part is a bit dodgy, it means that you take the number of
    grams of fiber in a serving, or 4, whichever is less, and then divide
    by 5. As I don't really have good per serving data, I will just knock
    off 3 points as a good guess for fiber.

    So how many points do I eat a day on average?

    2075 / 50 + 124 / 12 - 3 = 49 points

    My wife gets 28 points a day, and she weighs a little bit more than I
    do (they assign points by weight, your points allotment going down as
    you lose).

    According to Weigth Watchers I am eating an insane number of points and
    should be gaining weight - but I have in fact lost about 15 lbs in two
    months. Huh.


    Bev

    --
    223/174.8/180

  7. Here's a suggestion that might help to control portions. Enter what you
    intend to eat into FitDay for the next, or even several days. Then you can
    see the numbers and adjust them before you actually eat them. Then when
    that day comes, eat only what you have entered. If you're hungry at the
    end of the day, you can adjust the next days meals slightly while still
    controlling how much you eat. It's too bad FitDay doesn't have the ability
    to print out the daily menu so that you could tape it to your fridge,
    though.

    joshv said:

    My wife did low carb once, but didn't really control how much she ate,
    so it didn't work for her. She is the type that needs structure, and
    "eat protein and fat until your are satisfied" wasn't really enough
    structure for her. The "points" system and the weekly meetings seem to
    give her the structure she needs to control calories.

    I am somewhat the same way, but I chose to use fitday instead of the
    points system to make sure I am controlling carbs, and keeping the
    calories down. If I don't watch calories I tend to start eating more,
    and more calorie dense foods (nuts, etc...).

    My wife tends to eat relatively few carbs though, as we share most
    meals. Sometimes she might add a small portion of rice, or substitute
    a lower fat ingredient in her serving. Her diet is probably moderate
    carb, high protein, moderate fat which I think works out ok in the
    points system - my "extreme" of fat intake on the otherhand breaks the
    poor little points calculator.


    -----
    Bev

  8. You should be able to print it by hitting PrtScreen, pasting into an image
    editor, cropping as necessary and printing from there.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Bev-Ann <[email hidden]> stated
    | Here's a suggestion that might help to control portions. Enter what
    | you intend to eat into FitDay for the next, or even several days.
    | Then you can see the numbers and adjust them before you actually eat
    | them. Then when that day comes, eat only what you have entered. If
    | you're hungry at the end of the day, you can adjust the next days
    | meals slightly while still controlling how much you eat. It's too
    | bad FitDay doesn't have the ability to print out the daily menu so
    | that you could tape it to your fridge, though.
    |

  9. Thank you for this insight into the weightwatchers system.

    "joshv" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My wife is on Weight Watchers. It has been working well enough for
    her. But a consistent source of amusement for me has been the "Points"
    system, which penalizes fat in the extreme, to the extent that if one
    were try to do low carb and follow the points system you'd have to
    starve yourself to stay within your points allotment.

    I decided to look up the formula for the points system and input my
    average daily calories and fat grams from fitday.

    For the last month

    Avg Calories: 2075
    Avg Fat grams: 125
    Avg Prot grms: 124
    Avg Fiber grm: 12

    The points formula is: Calories / 50 + fat / 12 - min{fiber,4}/5

    That last part is a bit dodgy, it means that you take the number of
    grams of fiber in a serving, or 4, whichever is less, and then divide
    by 5. As I don't really have good per serving data, I will just knock
    off 3 points as a good guess for fiber.

    So how many points do I eat a day on average?

    2075 / 50 + 124 / 12 - 3 = 49 points

    My wife gets 28 points a day, and she weighs a little bit more than I
    do (they assign points by weight, your points allotment going down as
    you lose).

    According to Weigth Watchers I am eating an insane number of points and
    should be gaining weight - but I have in fact lost about 15 lbs in two
    months. Huh.

  10. joshv said:


    I decided to look up the formula for the points system and input my
    average daily calories and fat grams from fitday.

    The points formula is: Calories / 50 + fat / 12 - min{fiber,4}/5

    What if you substituted carb grams for fat grams?

    Quoted message said:

    According to Weigth Watchers I am eating an insane number of points and
    should be gaining weight - but I have in fact lost about 15 lbs in two
    months. Huh.

    WW is a low-fat oriented plan according to their formula.
    Simple as that. I'm not sure there's much point to
    modifying their formula to make it biased in favor of
    low carb but doing that is possible.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.