Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

My first ride on my trike!

Started by John And Paulin · · Last activity · 38 posts · 2,307 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
28 March 2004
Last activity
28 April 2004
Original author
John And Paulin
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,307
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3 recumbent trike.
    How was it? - Hard work. Why did no one person tell me it would not be an
    easy job? Its slow-on the flat. Its hard peddeling. What am I doing wrong?
    Am I not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do I get tougher?
    Please someone tell me how!
    Best regards,
    John........PS The pictures are showing in the My Bikes section at.....
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.

  2. John,
    It's a good looking trike. A couple things to consider; it's sets high so
    you will get a lot of wind resistance,maybe a fairing would help.
    Also what is the weight ,trikes can be heavy. You also are pushing 3 wheels
    instead of 2.
    Trikes are just not as fast as 2 wheelers,there,I said it.
    Another thing is the recumbent riding position, if you've been riding
    upright bikes you will need some miles on a bent to build up the different
    muscle groups.
    Starting recumbent riding with a trike ,I can see why you're discouraged,but
    hang in there do lots of miles and lots and lots of hills and when you done
    you'll be not only a recumbent rider but you'll be faster on your uprights.
    Ben Fox
    Optima Dolphin and soon to be -Catrike Road
    "John and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no one
    person tell me it would not be an easy job? Its slow-on
    the flat. Its hard peddeling. What am I doing wrong? Am I
    not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do I get
    tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best regards,
    John........PS The pictures are showing in the My Bikes
    section at..... pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.

  3. If the riding position is the same I wouldn't think his
    wind resistance would be any better or worse than any lower-
    slung trike?

    "Ben Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    John, It's a good looking trike. A couple things to
    consider; it's sets high so you will get a lot of wind
    resistance,maybe a fairing would help. Also what is the
    weight ,trikes can be heavy. You also are pushing 3


    wheels

    Quoted message said:

    instead of 2. Trikes are just not as fast as 2
    wheelers,there,I said it. Another thing is the recumbent
    riding position, if you've been riding upright bikes you
    will need some miles on a bent to build up the different
    muscle groups. Starting recumbent riding with a trike ,I
    can see why you're


    discouraged,but

    Quoted message said:

    hang in there do lots of miles and lots and lots of hills
    and when you


    done

    Quoted message said:

    you'll be not only a recumbent rider but you'll be
    faster on your


    uprights.

    Quoted message said:

    Ben Fox Optima Dolphin and soon to be -Catrike Road "John
    and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message news:JsE9c.369$TL2.310@news-
    binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no one
    person tell me it would not be


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    easy job? Its slow-on the flat. Its hard peddeling. What
    am I doing


    wrong?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Am I not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do I
    get tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best regards,
    John........PS The pictures are showing in the My Bikes
    section at..... pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.


  4. "Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:QBG9c.118899$_w.1391023@attbi_s53...

    Quoted message said:

    If the riding position is the same I wouldn't think his
    wind resistance would be any better or worse than any lower-
    slung trike?


    HUH? His trike has a very upright seating position and sets
    high off the ground. 2 things that would cause higher wind
    resistance. The "recumbent riding position" I mentioned is
    the "legs out front position" that is an unfamiler position
    for new Bent riders. Most lower slung trikes have a more
    reclined seating position also ,such as the Catrike. Ben fox

    Quoted message said:

    "Ben Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    John, It's a good looking trike. A couple things to
    consider; it's sets high


    so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you will get a lot of wind resistance,maybe a fairing
    would help. Also what is the weight ,trikes can be
    heavy. You also are pushing 3


    wheels

    Quoted message said:

    instead of 2. Trikes are just not as fast as 2
    wheelers,there,I said it. Another thing is the recumbent
    riding position, if you've been riding upright bikes you
    will need some miles on a bent to build up the


    different

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    muscle groups. Starting recumbent riding with a trike ,I
    can see why you're


    discouraged,but

    Quoted message said:

    hang in there do lots of miles and lots and lots of
    hills and when you


    done

    Quoted message said:

    you'll be not only a recumbent rider but you'll be
    faster on your


    uprights.

    Quoted message said:

    Ben Fox Optima Dolphin and soon to be -Catrike Road
    "John and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in


    message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no
    one person tell me it would not be


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    easy job? Its slow-on the flat. Its hard peddeling.
    What am I doing


    wrong?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Am I not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do
    I get tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best
    regards, John........PS The pictures are showing in
    the My Bikes section


    at.....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.



  5. "Ben Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:QBG9c.118899$_w.1391023@attbi_s53...

    Quoted message said:

    If the riding position is the same I wouldn't think his
    wind resistance would be any better or worse than any
    lower-slung trike?


    HUH? His trike has a very upright seating position and
    sets high off the ground. 2 things that would cause higher
    wind resistance. The "recumbent riding position" I
    mentioned is the "legs out front position" that is an
    unfamiler position for new Bent riders. Most lower slung
    trikes have a


    more

    Quoted message said:

    reclined seating position also ,such as the Catrike. Ben
    fox

    I agree but as I said "IF" the seating position is the same
    I would think just the fact it was higher than say a
    Wizwheel or Catrike wouldn't make any difference.

    It does have a more upright seating position but the reason
    he is slower may be several other things besides that.

  6. I've heard it said that the lower to the ground ,the less wind
    resistance,don't know if it's true.
    ben fox
    "Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:OwJ9c.23992$gA5.313572@attbi_s03...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ben Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:QBG9c.118899$_w.1391023@attbi_s53...

    Quoted message said:

    If the riding position is the same I wouldn't think
    his wind


    resistance

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    would be any better or worse than any lower-slung
    trike?


    HUH? His trike has a very upright seating position and
    sets high off the ground. 2 things that would cause
    higher wind resistance. The "recumbent riding position"
    I mentioned is the "legs out front position" that is


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    unfamiler position for new Bent riders. Most lower slung
    trikes have a


    more

    Quoted message said:

    reclined seating position also ,such as the Catrike.
    Ben fox

    I agree but as I said "IF" the seating position is the
    same I would think just the fact it was higher than say a
    Wizwheel or Catrike wouldn't make


    any

    Quoted message said:

    difference.

    It does have a more upright seating position but the
    reason he is slower


    may

    Quoted message said:

    be several other things besides that.

  7. Ben Fox said:

    I've heard it said that the lower to the ground ,the less
    wind resistance,don't know if it's true.

    Having a lower seat will (usually) put more of the wheels in
    the rider's "wind shadow" which reduces frontal area.
    Otherwise, there is not real aerodynamic advantage or
    disadvantage to a lower seat in terms of overall drag.

    However, wind speed decreases near the ground due to viscous
    drag. This can be a significant advantage to the lower
    rider/bike (or trike) combination when riding into a head or
    side wind.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

  8. "John and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no one
    person tell me it would not be an easy job? Its slow-on
    the flat. Its hard peddeling. What am I doing wrong? Am I
    not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do I get
    tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best regards,
    John........PS The pictures are showing in the My Bikes
    section at..... pbase.comjohn28july

    John. One thing you might want to recheck is your front
    wheel alignment. If they do not have the proper toe in the
    bike can be hard to pedal.A friend of mine had this problem
    with his cat trike and had no idea what was the matter even
    though he quickly wore out two sets of front tires. As soon
    as the alignment was fixed he noticed a big increase of
    speed and easier pedaling

  9. Well, there is an amusing post in the bentrideronline
    forums, where a customer did a complete trike test ride
    including a big hill and was amazed by the slowness and
    effort required. Turned out the parking brake was still set.

    I am guessing that is not the case here though :-)

    --
    David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island,
    Florida USA community.webshots.comdavid luecke

    "John and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message news:JsE9c.369$TL2.310@news-
    binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no one
    person tell me it would not be an easy job? Its slow-on
    the flat. Its hard peddeling. What am I doing wrong? Am I
    not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do I get
    tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best regards,
    John........PS The pictures are showing in the My Bikes
    section at..... pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.

  10. Hello,
    Thank you for this advice. In reply to all, the handbrake is not on, the
    wind resistance did not really come in to it. Simply that the effort to
    propel this beast bears no relationship to the distance travelled. I can
    honestly say I most probably will end up selling this thing! I looked
    forward with enthusiasm to getting this PDQ 3 and so far am very
    dissapointed. I was using 1st gear or a nearly flat road for example. What
    would I have done when I came to a hill?
    No its not looking like staying with me, but I will persevere for a while.
    If anyone has a Birdy Blue in very good condition-I will swap with you in
    the UK only of course!
    Best regards,
    John.
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Ben Fox"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    John, It's a good looking trike. A couple things to
    consider; it's sets high so you will get a lot of wind
    resistance,maybe a fairing would help. Also what is the
    weight ,trikes can be heavy. You also are pushing 3


    wheels

    Quoted message said:

    instead of 2. Trikes are just not as fast as 2
    wheelers,there,I said it. Another thing is the recumbent
    riding position, if you've been riding upright bikes you
    will need some miles on a bent to build up the different
    muscle groups. Starting recumbent riding with a trike ,I
    can see why you're


    discouraged,but

    Quoted message said:

    hang in there do lots of miles and lots and lots of hills
    and when you


    done

    Quoted message said:

    you'll be not only a recumbent rider but you'll be
    faster on your


    uprights.

    Quoted message said:

    Ben Fox Optima Dolphin and soon to be -Catrike Road "John
    and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message news:JsE9c.369$TL2.310@news-
    binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no one
    person tell me it would not be


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    easy job? Its slow-on the flat. Its hard peddeling. What
    am I doing


    wrong?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Am I not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do I
    get tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best regards,
    John........PS The pictures are showing in the My Bikes
    section at..... pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.


  11. Hello,
    I forgot to say that the steering is like a F1 racer so I assume the toe in
    etc is OK. It steers so fast its unbelievable! I just feel really that the
    trike is slow and hard work because I cannot ride it correctly.I just think
    I need teaching?
    John.
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "John and Pauline at
    Thornbury" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:k%Q9c.6402$fR2.1057@news-
    binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Thank you for this advice. In reply to all, the
    handbrake is not on, the wind resistance did not really
    come in to it. Simply that the effort to propel this beast
    bears no relationship to the distance travelled. I can
    honestly say I most probably will end up selling this
    thing! I looked forward with enthusiasm to getting this
    PDQ 3 and so far am very dissapointed. I was using 1st
    gear or a nearly flat road for example. What would I have
    done when I came to a hill? No its not looking like
    staying with me, but I will persevere for a while. If
    anyone has a Birdy Blue in very good condition-I will swap
    with you in the UK only of course! Best regards, John.
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Ben Fox"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    John, It's a good looking trike. A couple things to
    consider; it's sets high


    so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you will get a lot of wind resistance,maybe a fairing
    would help. Also what is the weight ,trikes can be
    heavy. You also are pushing 3


    wheels

    Quoted message said:

    instead of 2. Trikes are just not as fast as 2
    wheelers,there,I said it. Another thing is the recumbent
    riding position, if you've been riding upright bikes you
    will need some miles on a bent to build up the


    different

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    muscle groups. Starting recumbent riding with a trike ,I
    can see why you're


    discouraged,but

    Quoted message said:

    hang in there do lots of miles and lots and lots of
    hills and when you


    done

    Quoted message said:

    you'll be not only a recumbent rider but you'll be
    faster on your


    uprights.

    Quoted message said:

    Ben Fox Optima Dolphin and soon to be -Catrike Road
    "John and Pauline at Thornbury" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in


    message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, Today I had my first ride on my Pashley PDQ 3
    recumbent trike. How was it? - Hard work. Why did no
    one person tell me it would not be


    an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    easy job? Its slow-on the flat. Its hard peddeling.
    What am I doing


    wrong?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Am I not suited to a recumbent? Does it get easier? Do
    I get tougher? Please someone tell me how! Best
    regards, John........PS The pictures are showing in
    the My Bikes section


    at.....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available.



  12. Hello,
    As a matter of interest, do I fit the length from seat to pedal as a normal
    upright or do I have the pedals closer to me? If so I may have the pedals
    too far from me and am unable to press hard back against the seat.
    Clarification on this point would be good.
    Best regards,
    John.
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Tom Sherman"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:
    Ben Fox said:

    I've heard it said that the lower to the ground ,the
    less wind resistance,don't know if it's true.

    Having a lower seat will (usually) put more of the wheels
    in the rider's "wind shadow" which reduces frontal area.
    Otherwise, there is not real aerodynamic advantage or
    disadvantage to a lower seat in terms of overall drag.

    However, wind speed decreases near the ground due to
    viscous drag. This can be a significant advantage to the
    lower rider/bike (or trike) combination when riding into a
    head or side wind.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

  13. The PDQ3 is tall, wide and fairly upright, so I am not at
    all surprised that you find it hard work. It will get
    easier, but it's never going to be very fast. Take care
    under heavy braking and brisk cornering, as these machines
    have something of a rep for falling over.

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  14. John and Pauline at Thornbury said:

    Hello, Thank you for this advice. In reply to all, the
    handbrake is not on, the wind resistance did not really
    come in to it. Simply that the effort to propel this beast
    bears no relationship to the distance travelled. I can
    honestly say I most probably will end up selling this
    thing! I looked forward with enthusiasm to getting this
    PDQ 3 and so far am very dissapointed. I was using 1st
    gear or a nearly flat road for example. What would I have
    done when I came to a hill? No its not looking like
    staying with me, but I will persevere for a while. If
    anyone has a Birdy Blue in very good condition-I will swap
    with you in the UK only of course! Best regards, John.
    pbase.comjohn28july


    Wow, this is really surprising. I know someone else
    mentioned it, but are you sure you didn't have the handbrake
    on? This happened to my other half when we hired a couple of
    'bent trikes. He found it really hard going after we
    stopped. Turned out he'd forgotton to release the brake on
    the rear wheel (they were tadpoles). Zoomed off after that.

    It really doesn't sound right that it's so much hard
    work. I'm not fit, I'm not a casual cyclist on my upright
    (for example, the first time I've been out on it for 6
    months was this weekend just gone) but even I managed a
    recumbent trike along a gentle incline without being in
    1st gear all the time.

    I'd start looking to be sure you really were in the lowest
    available gear, then check the wheels for free movement and
    make sure they're not binding against anything, etc etc.

    I have very wimpy legs, but rode an anthrotec w/out
    toestraps/clipless which necessitated having the pedals
    closer than I felt I wanted and cut down on the power
    output, but was worth the trade-off to avoid leg-suck!

    Velvet

  15. John and Pauline at Thornbury said:

    Hello, Thank you for this advice. In reply to all, the
    handbrake is not on, the wind resistance did not really
    come in to it. Simply that the effort to propel this beast
    bears no relationship to the distance travelled. I can
    honestly say I most probably will end up selling this
    thing! I looked forward with enthusiasm to getting this
    PDQ 3 and so far am very dissapointed. I was using 1st
    gear or a nearly flat road for example. What would I have
    done when I came to a hill? No its not looking like
    staying with me, but I will persevere for a while. If
    anyone has a Birdy Blue in very good condition-I will swap
    with you in the UK only of course! Best regards, John.
    pbase.comjohn28july


    Oh, and quick PS. Tyre pressures checked? T'other half finds
    a big difference in effort required on his folding bike with
    smaller fatter wheels if the pressures aren't high enough.

    Velvet

  16. Hello,
    I do not really think that at the speeds I ride normally (easy tour style)
    that there is much chance of the PDQ 3 falling over.
    I have however just shortened the distance between seat and pedals, and
    'riding' the trike in the workshop this seems an improvement. I have also
    swapped the Taiwanese cassette which was a 12-28 for a Shimano 14-34. It is
    hoped for some improvement. I have lowered the handlebar height also.
    Overall the feel of this setup gives me a little more confidence. I shall
    hopefully have a ride out later today to see if there is any difference.
    As to the type of trike for my use it was chosen because I am endevouring to
    get comfort as I suffer Spinal stenosis and I have a Moulton AM 16, a
    Brompton and a Birdy Red all chosen for there suspension. So comfort is the
    main item on my adgenda not speed for speeds sake alone. It was a first ride
    and I was dissaponted by how hard it was not particularly how slow. I needed
    to use 1st gear along a fairly flat road which what got to me. I returned
    home as I assumed that the further I rode into the hillier area I would have
    no lower gear.
    So overall I just hope the changes I have now made will give some
    improvement.
    I will report back once I have tried again-wish me luck!
    By the way this recumbent is brand spanking new bought last week from a shop
    display in Oxford. Its never been used at all until yesterday.
    Best regards,
    John.
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Dave Larrington"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:

    The PDQ3 is tall, wide and fairly upright, so I am not at
    all surprised


    that

    Quoted message said:

    you find it hard work. It will get easier, but it's never
    going to be


    very

    Quoted message said:

    fast. Take care under heavy braking and brisk cornering,
    as these


    machines

    Quoted message said:

    have something of a rep for falling over.

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================

    Quoted message said:

    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  17. Hello everybody,
    First of all a big thank you to all who responded with various suggestions
    of help. I can now say without any doubt that the trike is setup to
    perfection but its no good for me due to my Spinal Stenosis, which is why I
    got it in the first place. I am offereing it For Sale or swap now in a
    seperate message.
    All the best,
    John.
    pbase.comjohn28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Velvet"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:agT9c.467$xU4.4160661@news-
    text.cableinet.net...

    Quoted message said:
    John and Pauline at Thornbury said:

    Hello, Thank you for this advice. In reply to all, the
    handbrake is not on, the wind resistance did not really
    come in to it. Simply that the effort to propel this
    beast bears no relationship to the distance travelled. I
    can honestly say I most probably will end up selling
    this thing! I looked forward with enthusiasm to getting
    this PDQ 3 and so far am very dissapointed. I was using
    1st gear or a nearly flat road for example.


    What

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    would I have done when I came to a hill? No its not
    looking like staying with me, but I will persevere for a


    while.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If anyone has a Birdy Blue in very good condition-I will
    swap with you


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the UK only of course! Best regards, John.
    pbase.comjohn28july


    Oh, and quick PS. Tyre pressures checked? T'other half
    finds a big difference in effort required on his folding
    bike with smaller fatter wheels if the pressures aren't
    high enough.

    Velvet

  18. John and Pauline at Thornbury said:

    Hello, As a matter of interest, do I fit the length from
    seat to pedal as a normal upright or do I have the pedals
    closer to me?

    We usually set the pedals on our trikes by fully extending
    one leg and having another person adjust the pedal so that
    the heel of that foot rests against it - that way when
    pedalling the legs are at slightly less than full extension.

    This is assuming you're using "clipless" pedals - if you're
    not, I'd heartily recommend that you get some, as they will
    greatly reduce the fatigue of holding your legs in position,
    and prevent "leg suck" - when the foot slips off the pedal
    and you risk running over your own leg (eek!)

    Rob has found that even tiny adjustments in boomlength can
    make quite large differences to speed and comfort, so it's
    worth spending some time to get it exactly right.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Carol "...it's not normal if you don't like cake..." -
    Sean Yates

  19. On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:52:20 +0100, "John and Pauline at Thornbury"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I do not really think that at the speeds I ride normally
    (easy tour style) that there is much chance of the PDQ 3
    falling over.

    But recumbent trikes go downhill like a homesick brick!

    There is, on the other hand, pretty much no limit to how low
    a gear you can fit. I saw a Trice with a triple chainset and
    Sram 8x3 on the back, 72 gears from about 11" to about 120"

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  20. On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:05:56 +0100, "John and Pauline at Thornbury"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    First of all a big thank you to all who responded with
    various suggestions of help. I can now say without any
    doubt that the trike is setup to perfection but its no good
    for me due to my Spinal Stenosis

    John, the thing about recumbents is that they are all
    different. You really need to try as many as possible before
    buying. There are mesh seats and hard shell seats, for a
    start; if you have spinal problems a hard shell trike seat
    may well be better as it offers better lumbar and some
    transverse support. The PDQ3 is also /heavy/. The lighter
    Trices and the Windcheetah weigh a lot less. I rode a Trice
    Monster and it was significantly faster on the flat than my
    recumbent bike, which is in turn faster on the flat than my
    audax bike. It also steers like it's on rails.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.