My first 100 miler, by Mike aged 47 and three quarters.

mb

Guest
Well, I thought I'd better, after several months of doing 140ish km
rides every weekend.
Not much happened, I was passed by only 1 other cyclist carrying just
500ml of water - can't fool me.
The chain fell off the small front ring once when I changed down.

The last 10-15kms were the worst, quite tired with cramp making itself
felt inside the lower thighs. I've had that before and it's
excruciatingly painful.

Average 28.6km/h, time about 5:35. Not too bad, I think.

--
Mike

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Well done Mike - great time too!
> > Simon M.
> >

> Yes indeed. 100 miles is less than 6 hours is a fine achievement.

Thank you both. I prolly went out a bit too quick though. My "normal"
rides through the week are about 40kms and the average for those is
generally around 30-31 km/h [1].

Although at 120kms I thought I could get under 5:30.

[1] This includes warming up, stopping at lights (!), getting through
the slow bits. I don't cheat by just timing the good bits :D

--
Mike

mb wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Well done Mike - great time too!
>>> Simon M.
>>>

>>Yes indeed. 100 miles is less than 6 hours is a fine achievement.
>>

> Thank you both. I prolly went out a bit too quick though. My "normal"
> rides through the week are about 40kms and the average for those is
> generally around 30-31 km/h [1].
>
> Although at 120kms I thought I could get under 5:30.
>
> [1] This includes warming up, stopping at lights (!), getting through
> the slow bits. I don't cheat by just timing the good bits :D

You are faster than me.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> mb wrote:
> >
> > Thank you both. I prolly went out a bit too quick though. My "normal"
> > rides through the week are about 40kms and the average for those is
> > generally around 30-31 km/h [1].
> >
> > Although at 120kms I thought I could get under 5:30.
> >
> > [1] This includes warming up, stopping at lights (!), getting through
> > the slow bits. I don't cheat by just timing the good bits :D
> >

> You are faster than me.

You're too kind - I'm trying to get faster but TBH it's hard work.
Maybe I should concentrate more on getting my weight down from the
present 95kgs ;-)

--
Mike

> You're too kind - I'm trying to get faster but TBH it's hard work.
> Maybe I should concentrate more on getting my weight down from the
> present 95kgs ;-)

I wish I weighed 95 kg then I could do some serious hill climbing without
having to stop to let my pulse slow down from 1800 to 180 bpm :)