General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My best Menudo recipe

Started by chilichick · · Last activity · 17 posts · 593 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 May 2006
Last activity
1 June 2006
Original author
chilichick
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
593
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I make Menudo for my whole family once a month. Everyone comes over
    sometimes 25 for breakfast. Thety tell me I make the BEST... I cook
    mine overnight
    so it's ready for breakfast.
    10 lbs of Menudo. Cut washed and rinsed 3-4 times in water and lemon
    juice, (very important) the lemon juice gets rid of anything
    nasty especially the odor.
    you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
    that Posole
    I add a whole onion
    whole head of garlic
    California Chili powder
    New Mexico Chili powder
    salt
    pepper
    cumin
    I cook mine overnight about 7 hours then add two lg cans of Hominy...
    for sides I cut up onion, celantro, lemon.
    For Posole sides: cabbage, onion, celantro, lemon, radishes
    If you use chicken or pork, cook time is just a couple of hours
    ENJOY...

  2. On Tue 30 May 2006 02:31:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it chilichick?

    Quoted message said:

    I make Menudo for my whole family once a month. Everyone comes over
    sometimes 25 for breakfast. Thety tell me I make the BEST... I cook
    mine overnight
    so it's ready for breakfast.
    10 lbs of Menudo. Cut washed and rinsed 3-4 times in water and lemon
    juice, (very important) the lemon juice gets rid of anything
    nasty especially the odor.
    you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
    that Posole
    I add a whole onion
    whole head of garlic
    California Chili powder
    New Mexico Chili powder
    salt
    pepper
    cumin
    I cook mine overnight about 7 hours then add two lg cans of Hominy...
    for sides I cut up onion, celantro, lemon.
    For Posole sides: cabbage, onion, celantro, lemon, radishes
    If you use chicken or pork, cook time is just a couple of hours
    ENJOY...

    Your recipe sounds very good, although I have to say that I've never eaten
    menudo before. I have eaten posole made with pork, however, and it was
    delicious.

    --

    Wayne Boatwright
    _____________________________________________________________

    "How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

    Julia Child

  3. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 30 May 2006 02:31:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    chilichick?

    Quoted message said:

    I make Menudo for my whole family once a month.

    Your recipe sounds very good, although I have to say that I've never
    eaten menudo before. I have eaten posole made with pork, however,
    and it was delicious.

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food. I'll take mine with
    tripe, thanks 🙂

    Jill

  4. On Tue 30 May 2006 03:54:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Tue 30 May 2006 02:31:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    chilichick?

    Quoted message said:

    I make Menudo for my whole family once a month.

    Your recipe sounds very good, although I have to say that I've never
    eaten menudo before. I have eaten posole made with pork, however, and
    it was delicious.

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food. I'll take mine with
    tripe, thanks 🙂

    I didn't say wouldn't eat it, but that I hadn't eaten it before. However,
    since I don't drink, I would not need it for that purpose. :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  5. chilichick said:

    you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
    that Posole

    Well you must have been drunk when you posted. I think that should be
    substitute chicken or pork for tripe we call that posole. I hope you
    cook better than you type.

    I have tried pozole but will never knowingly try menudo.

  6. jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  7. "Vilco" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    I think it's just menudo. It's famous as hangover food. I never
    had a hangover bad enough to want to try it.

    nancy

  8. Ben Franklin said:
    chilichick said:

    you can subsitute tripe for chicken or pork (just as yummy) we call
    that Posole

    Well you must have been drunk when you posted. I think that should be
    substitute chicken or pork for tripe we call that posole. I hope you
    cook better than you type.

    I have tried pozole but will never knowingly try menudo.

    Sorry about that Ben, I wasn't drunk when I typed that. You did know
    what I meant so that's good. I do cook better than I type. I'll check
    my next posting for any errors before I post...
    Alot of my family doesn't eat the tripe but like it for the flavor it
    gives the hominy. For my family it's just an excuse to get together
    and share family news and not just a hangover breakfast.

  9. Vilco said:
    jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a greasy
    cheeseburger.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  10. Vilco said:
    jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    its the tripe as it is a natural source of pectin. which absorbs
    alcohol. plus the spices and heat will hopefully make you sweat as well.

    Grizzman

  11. zxcvbob said:
    Vilco said:
    jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a greasy
    cheeseburger.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    research tripe, tripas and pectin

    Grizzmn

  12. Grizzman said:
    zxcvbob said:
    Vilco said:

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a
    greasy cheeseburger.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    research tripe, tripas and pectin

    Grizzmn

    1) Animals do not produce pectin.
    2) By the time you have a hangover, there is no alcohol left in
    your stomach.

    Bob

  13. Grizzman said:
    Vilco said:
    jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    its the tripe as it is a natural source of pectin. which absorbs
    alcohol. plus the spices and heat will hopefully make you sweat as well.

    By the time you're hung-over, the alcohol has already done it's
    job. Absorbing the remaining alcohol would probably just make
    your hangover worse.

    -sw

  14. zxcvbob said:
    Grizzman said:
    zxcvbob said:

    Vilco wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.
    >
    > LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    > Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    It's specifically menudo. Pasole probably works too. As does a
    greasy cheeseburger.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    research tripe, tripas and pectin

    Grizzmn

    1) Animals do not produce pectin.
    2) By the time you have a hangover, there is no alcohol left in
    your stomach.

    Bob

    Naw, spicy stuff just tastes good when you're hung over. So does breakfast
    food 🙂

    Jill

  15. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Vilco" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    Menudo is traditionally a 'hangover' breakfast food.

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    I think it's just menudo. It's famous as hangover food. I never
    had a hangover bad enough to want to try it.

    In my opinion, anything labelled as hangover *food* has the sole purpose of
    allowing your stomach to do what it's been desperately trying to do for
    hours, and which the hungover individual has been desperately trying to
    prevent 😉

    Jani
    (who was once given a pint of Babycham as a "hangover cure" without this
    general principle being explained. Oh, the embarrassment .....)

  16. Vilco said:

    LOL, hangover breakfast food?!?
    Is it just menudo, or any tripe dish can help in those situations?

    None really can, but some are reputed to possess the same properties,
    e.g. the Greek patsás, the Turkish iskembe çorbasi, the Bulgarian
    shkembe chorba, and the Caribbean/Latin-American mondongo.

    Victor

  17. jmcquown said:

    Naw, spicy stuff just tastes good when you're hung over. So does breakfast
    food 🙂

    JACK'S TACOS ROCK!

    Mostly you need water and electrolytes.

    Drinking a couple of glasses of water between getting drunk and going
    to sleep helps a LOT.

    --Blair
    "This has been a PSA."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.