On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:04:26 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Dan Daniel said:I changed my chainrings to 46/36/26 and tried installing
an XT front derailleur, thinking that its profile would
match the chainrings better and give me better shifting.
I am using barend shifters so indexing is not an issue.
Both the XT and the existing derailleur are bottom pull,
bottom swing.
But the cable attachment point is further to the inside on
the XT than on the old road derailleur (RSX or RS100,
can't remember and the label is gone).
So when I go to shift, the end of the cable attachment arm
hits the fender. I can't move the fender back any- it's
already too tight to remove the wheel without deflating
it. This is a bike with 42 cm chainstays.
On another bike with much tighter geometry, I ran into
the same basic problem. I was able to use it because that
bike has no fenders, but the cable arm is very close to
the rear tire. I doubt I could use a larger tire- 23mm
right now.
Is this typical for all MTB derailleurs? Or is it specific
to bottom pull, bottom swing designs? Would a bottom pull
top swing avoid this problem? Or some model other than XT?
Any experience mounting MTB models on road bikes much
appreciated.
You should get a "traditional" top swing front derailleur.
As a bonus, you can get an LX designed for 48 tooth rings
(or an XTR for 46, or an XT for 44). All but the XTR are
relatively cheap too. It'll probably have to be special
ordered though.
Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.comOpen ↗ Home
of the $695 ti frame
Oh [censored].... I meant top swing all along maybe? Meaning that
the clamp band is above the pivot arms, yes? Traditional as
in what every road derailleur I have ever seen looks like
(although now I see bottom[clamp below or on level with
pivots] swing front derailleurs some places). Well, this is
what I see called a top swing- cambriabike.comshiftOpen ↗
&der/shimano_deore_xt_m760_front_derailleur.htm
That is NOT what I have.
THIS is the style I have- cambriabike.comcambriabike.comOpen ↗
shimano_lx_m571_front_derailleur.htm
although the XT version of it. Where the cable clamps, that
point is maybe 5mm further to the center of the bike on the
XT than on the RSX/RX100 and two 105s that I have. It is
this displacement of the cable anchor point that causes the
arm to hit the fender when I shift up.
Since you and I might be backward in our names here, do you
mean that I should get a front derailleur like the XT 760
shown above- clamp below or in line with the cage? That this
style will be less likely to interfere as it travels inward?
(And do you really see that style as the traditional? From
your web site, I must admit that I see you as old enough to
remember a day when that [censored] MTB low-down clamp thing
didn't exist 🙂