I thought my hillclimbing racing season was over after Mt. Washington,
so I have been a slug, mostly anyways. But... I found out about this
Hillclimb TT close to home so I asked Logan if he would do it with me,
a reason not to push so hard, (so I thought). He said yes w/o any
questioning, was he on something? The event was the 1st annual Mt.
Princeton Hillclimb TT put on by a Yeti Race Team here in Colorado.
They run lots of other events during the season, mostly DH events. The
profile is 4000' vertical feet gained in 7.3 miles, kinda of frickin
steep, and all DIRT. The finish elevation is 12,000' above sea level.
Annie, Logan, the dog, and I drove over in the motorhome Saturday, race
was on Sunday due to the conflict with the big Bike race in New Mexico.
The big bonus for us was the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, a natural hot
springs at the base of the mountain. The resort is very low key, and
has a couple of swimming pools, and multiple rock pools that are next
to the creek that comes out of the Continental Divide. We spent a few
hours pool hopin Saturday night, which was a blast. The sky was clear,
so the stars at 8000' elevation with no lights was spectacular. We saw
a few satallites speeding across the sky and then they would disappear
into the milky way. We jumped in Chalk Creek, water temp around 50
degree's, then jumped back in the hottest pool, around 110 degrees,
what a rush!
They had Logan and I go first, and everyone followed us. We got passed
by the last person at around mile 4. Between being a slug, the
elevation, double fall line road, and pretty steep pitch, I had a hard
time. Logan and I rode together after a couple of miles, I wanted to
set a fast pace for the first two miles, then ride the rest with him.
We walked a portion of it, to keep moving, then would ride some. I was
wanting a bail out gear for the technical steep sections. We could see
the top road cut across the huge basin above us between miles 4-5, but
it seemed so far away. The one aid station was at 10,800' where they
had water. We glady took some, as our 100oz camelbak's were filled with
cytomax. There in the distance was the long traverse across the huge
basin, about a mile to go. Ride some, walk some, ride some, walk some.
The thin air was taken effect by now, so riding for very long was hard.
We passed an enormous avalanche path, the biggest one so far, and I had
to stop and take a picture. The starting line was visible, way down
below, incredible view from there. Logan and I rode across the finish
line together with the huge crowd, (15 people) going crazy for us. We
had done it, a father son adventure completed together. I was so proud
of Logan for hanging in there, hell, he pushed me on more than one
occasion. Even though we suffered allot, it was an incredible
accomplishment for both of us. High fives were exchanged, photo's
taken, and then the whole group headed down. Quite a few of the racers
had gone down before we finished, so just a few racers were left. The
EZ up finish station almost blew away at 12,000' as the ridge top winds
picked up to 40 mph. Logan opted to take a ride down in a truck, a
smart move, as he has hockey and soccer games/practices all week. I had
to ride down this mountain, so I spun my way down. No brakes, still
don't believe in em, and my 24" took me down the mountain in half the
time. I stopped a couple of times to take pics and once to eat, but no
UPD's. It was sooo much fun to ride all the way down from that
elevation. I arrived at the awards tent just in time to change and
receive our awards. Logan and I both received some nice swag for our
efforts, which we were very appreciative. The race was run very
professionally, and I see it becoming big in a few years. It's a very
tough course, but the scenery is world class. It is Tuesday and I am
still sore from the smokin ride down, well worth the pain! Cheers😎
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Filename: Mike & Logan top of MPHC TT 1001.JPG |
|Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/10098 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
aspenmike
------------------------------------------------------------------------
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43749