Chris Malcolm said:It's not the mountain, it's the shutting away.
This is what I can't understand. I'd love to have a long period of
peace and quiet like that. I suppose most people couldn't handle it,
most people in my experience seem to need some human contact. I don't
feel that way though. The more time I spend alone the more I like it.
The longer I go without seeing people out in the hills the more I like
it and the less I want to return to civilisation. I guess a lot of
people who don't understand me would disagree, but I believe I have the
right kind of psyche to spend a lot of time alone. I was very envious
of that guy who lived alone in a hut in Svalbard that Michael Palin met.
I could totally relate to where he was coming from.
Quoted message said:We recognise a human mind because we've got one of our own. We keep it
similar to other minds, and therefore recognisably sane and normal, by
conversation. If you stop talking to people you become different,
i.e., weird, i.e., in the perception of a normalised
conversationalist, you have lost your mind.
Possibly, probably even. Wouldn't bother me though. Might bother other
people! ;-)
Quoted message said:To some extent you can counter the progressive weirdness of mountain
isolation by talking to yourself.
I don't want to counter it. I don't consider it weirdness, more a
spiritual state of mind (but not in the religious sense).
Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk
http://www.photosig.com/go/users/userphotos?id=118749