UK and Europe · Public discussion

Minor upgrades for Specialized Hardrock Sport

Started by Burning_Ranger · · Last activity · 18 posts · 2,409 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 July 2004
Last activity
7 July 2004
Original author
Burning_Ranger
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,409
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Got some newbie questions.

    I'm going to buy a Hardrock Sport from a place that gives £50 of accessories
    free.

    What upgrades should I get for £50?

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g. pedals,
    grips, saddle?)

    I'm considering upgrading the front and rear derailleurs to Deore (quoted
    £20), does this sound right and is it worth it?

  2. Burning_Ranger said:

    Got some newbie questions.

    I'm going to buy a Hardrock Sport from a place that gives £50 of
    accessories free.

    What upgrades should I get for £50?

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g.
    pedals, grips, saddle?)

    I'm considering upgrading the front and rear derailleurs to Deore
    (quoted £20), does this sound right and is it worth it?

    Sounds a good value upgrade as long as that includes the STI's - if it
    doesn't try and get those thrown in too. Also I'd go for bar ends.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    --
    _____________________________________________________

    Chris Walters
    Hungerford, UK
    _____________________________________________________

  3. in message <[email hidden]>,

    Burning_Ranger (') said:

    Got some newbie questions.

    I'm going to buy a Hardrock Sport from a place that gives £50 of
    accessories free.

    What upgrades should I get for £50?

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g.
    pedals, grips, saddle?)

    Clipless pedals and the shoes to go with them. Pretty much the best
    upgrade you can make to any bike. If you haven't used clipless before
    then the type which have a cleat on one side and platform on the other
    (e.g. Wellgo WPD982, FPD Duo, Shimano M424) but otherwise go
    minimalist (Shimano PD-M520, FPD Trail Comp).

    Make sure the shoes fit well and that the cleats are very firmly fixed
    to the shoes!

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
    ;; it isn't furry.

  4. Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g.
    pedals, grips, saddle?)

    Clipless pedals and the shoes to go with them. Pretty much the best
    upgrade you can make to any bike. If you haven't used clipless before
    then the type which have a cleat on one side and platform on the other
    (e.g. Wellgo WPD982, FPD Duo, Shimano M424) but otherwise go
    minimalist (Shimano PD-M520, FPD Trail Comp).

    Make sure the shoes fit well and that the cleats are very firmly fixed
    to the shoes!

    I will buy shoes and pedals later on, when I begin to take to MTBing
    seriously. Besides, right now pedals and shoes are a little out of my
    budget. For now I will concentrate on comfort.

    The saddle the Hardrock comes with is Body Geometry Sport ATB, is this a
    comfy saddle? Would a suspension post help?

    Ta very much.

  5. Chris Walters said:

    Sounds a good value upgrade as long as that includes the STI's - if it
    doesn't try and get those thrown in too.

    Sorry, stupid question but when you say STI do you mean the shift levers or
    brake levers? I assume you mean shift levers (The Hardrock Sport comes with
    Altus shift & brake levers, will they work with Deore derailleurs?)

    Also, what kind of shifters are Altus? I've looked on many bike FAQs and
    they arn't mentioned.

    I've tried to understand all the bike jargon, but Shimano don't make things
    easier by calling a whole group of different components by the same name...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Also I'd go for bar ends.

    I had them on my previous bike, never actually used them much. I'm
    concentrating on trying to maximise comfort. So I'm going to go for:

    -Grips (I've heard people rave about DMR Zip Grips but in the pictures they
    look very thin in diamater, or are they just extra wide?)
    -Suspension Post (perhaps)

  6. Burning_Ranger said:
    Chris Walters said:

    Sounds a good value upgrade as long as that includes the STI's - if
    it doesn't try and get those thrown in too.

    Sorry, stupid question but when you say STI do you mean the shift
    levers or brake levers? I assume you mean shift levers

    STIs are combined brake and gear levers.

    Quoted message said:

    (The Hardrock
    Sport comes with Altus shift & brake levers, will they work with
    Deore derailleurs?)

    Yes

    Quoted message said:

    Also, what kind of shifters are Altus? I've looked on many bike FAQs
    and they arn't mentioned.

    Rapid Fire?

    ~PB

  7. Pete Biggs said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, stupid question but when you say STI do you mean the shift
    levers or brake levers? I assume you mean shift levers

    STIs are combined brake and gear levers.

    They sound [censored]. Are they?

    How expensive is it to replace them with seperate components (say if I want
    to put in disc brakes in future), and is it possible?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    (The Hardrock
    Sport comes with Altus shift & brake levers, will they work with
    Deore derailleurs?)

    Yes

    Quoted message said:

    Also, what kind of shifters are Altus? I've looked on many bike FAQs
    and they arn't mentioned.

    Rapid Fire?

    Of the 2 available out of the 3 main shifter types mentioned in Vincent
    Cheng's bike FAQ, they all sound [censored], and the old style thumb lever isn't
    made anymore. I was thinking there'd be loads of types of shifters in this
    day and age.

  8. Burning_Ranger said:

    Got some newbie questions.

    I'm going to buy a Hardrock Sport from a place that gives £50 of accessories
    free.

    What upgrades should I get for £50?

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g. pedals,
    grips, saddle?)

    I'm considering upgrading the front and rear derailleurs to Deore (quoted
    £20), does this sound right and is it worth it?

    Your not going to notice much difference between whats fitted and Deore,
    better to wear out the original before changing it.

    The pedals and shoes sugestion was a good one, other than that, gloves,
    shorts and lights would be the next things to have.

    Steve

  9. "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete Biggs said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, stupid question but when you say STI do you mean the shift
    levers or brake levers? I assume you mean shift levers

    STIs are combined brake and gear levers.

    They sound [censored]. Are they?

    No, they're excellent. But they're designed for drop handlebars, not
    the bars on your bike.

    --
    Dave...

    Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if
    it were administered prior to the crime. — Woody Allen

  10. Burning_Ranger said:

    I will buy shoes and pedals later on, when I begin to take to MTBing
    seriously. Besides, right now pedals and shoes are a little out of my
    budget. For now I will concentrate on comfort.

    You'll be wanting the shoes, then!
    Seriously, cycling shoes are a real comfort win, even if you don't get
    special pedals for them. Because of the stiff sole they'll let you
    transfer more power, so your legs won't ache as much, and also you won't
    end up with aching feet as the pedal starts to make its presence felt
    through your soles.

    Quoted message said:

    The saddle the Hardrock comes with is Body Geometry Sport ATB, is this a
    comfy saddle?

    Saddles are personal things. Some people really like Speccy BG ones, my
    personal experience is they should be sealed into drums and dropped into
    an active volcano, how you feel will only be revealed by sitting on it.
    If your backside's geometry is similar to Specialized's computer
    models of backsides it'll probably be a very good saddle.

    Quoted message said:

    Would a suspension post help?

    Quite possibly, though I personally equate comfort with ease of
    propulsion to a large extent as my legs and feet don't ache so much. So
    my MTB has clipless pedals and not a sus seatpost. I'd say that cycling
    shoes and clipless pedals would be a very good way to spend your extra
    money.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. Quoted message said:

    Got some newbie questions.

    I'm going to buy a Hardrock Sport from a place that gives £50 of


    accessories

    Quoted message said:

    free.

    What upgrades should I get for £50?

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g. pedals,
    grips, saddle?)

    I'm considering upgrading the front and rear derailleurs to Deore (quoted
    £20), does this sound right and is it worth it?

    Is that £20 for both? do you have a pump, lock, helmet? If not, get those.

    To be honest the Hardrock is a good starter bike, so the kit, although not
    perhaps being the lightest or prettiest, works well, IMHO. If you had £200
    free, I'd suggest upgrading the fork. If you don't want clipless pedals,
    then I reckon £50 is best spent as I said, on pump, lock etc.

    Nick

  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    STIs are combined brake and gear levers.

    They sound [censored]. Are they?

    Matter of personal preference.

    Quoted message said:

    No, they're excellent. But they're designed for drop handlebars, not
    the bars on your bike.

    There are MTB models, too.
    - Example: url:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300002749

    STI stands for "System Total Integration".

    ~PB

  13. Steve Peake said:

    The pedals and shoes sugestion was a good one, other than that, gloves,
    shorts and lights would be the next things to have.

    Or a bike computer, a decent set of tools, spare inner tubes,
    lock, pump etc - all the things that *very* quickly add
    up to £50!

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  14. Nick Drew said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got some newbie questions.

    I'm going to buy a Hardrock Sport from a place that gives £50 of
    accessories free.

    What upgrades should I get for £50?

    What would people recommend I get for this and what brand (e.g.
    pedals, grips, saddle?)

    I'm considering upgrading the front and rear derailleurs to Deore
    (quoted £20), does this sound right and is it worth it?

    Is that £20 for both?

    Yes I think so, the price seems to be very cheap to me, but maybe it's the
    difference in price between Deore and the fitted deraillerus (Acera IIRC)

    do you have a pump, lock, helmet? If not, get

    Quoted message said:

    those.

    The place I'm getting the bike from is in Devon so I'm getting through mail
    order (of course I will test ride the bike first in some local shop) so I'm
    going to buy a helmet by trying some on in a local shop. I have a basic pump
    and lock from my old bike; they will suffice for now.

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest the Hardrock is a good starter bike, so the kit,
    although not perhaps being the lightest or prettiest, works well,
    IMHO. If you had £200 free, I'd suggest upgrading the fork. If you
    don't want clipless pedals, then I reckon £50 is best spent as I
    said, on pump, lock etc.

    How do clipless pedals work? Do they 'lock' onto some mechanism on the
    bottom of a bike shoe?

  15. in message <[email hidden]>,

    Burning_Ranger (') said:


    How do clipless pedals work? Do they 'lock' onto some mechanism on the
    bottom of a bike shoe?

    Yup, just so. You screw a 'cleat' onto the bottom of the shoe. It works
    like a quick release ski-binding - so long as you pedal normally it
    holds firmly and your feet can't slip off the pedals, but as soon as
    you twist your foot sideways it releases.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    'Victories are not solutions.'
    ;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
    ;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

  16. Peter Clinch [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    If your backside's geometry is similar to Specialized's computer
    models of backsides it'll probably be a very good saddle.

    I would appear to have a Specialized rear end. For some reason this
    makes me smile! ;-)

    Jon

  17. Quoted message said:

    The place I'm getting the bike from is in Devon so I'm getting through mail
    order (of course I will test ride the bike first in some local shop) so I'm
    going to buy a helmet by trying some on in a local shop. I have a basic pump
    and lock from my old bike; they will suffice for now.

    Of course your local shop won't be there too long if everybody test
    drives bikes and then buys mail order. Have you asked them to quote on
    the bike your getting?
    Iain

  18. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No, they're excellent. But they're designed for drop handlebars, not
    the bars on your bike.

    There are MTB models, too.
    - Example: url:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300002749

    Cool, I wasn't aware of those.

    --
    Dave...

    I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to
    conquer Poland. — Woody Allen

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.