Minolta route base ride (Midrand)

G

Any one up for a 75km base ride at an average of 20 - 23 km/h. The ride starts and
ends at Vodaworld in Midrand (this is the route reviewed in this months Cycling SA)?

When: This Saturday (03 August 2002) 08:00 @ Vodaworld (we are trying to make this a weekly ride to build up a good base).

Jaco and I did the route last Saturday and it is perfect for base training.

Hi Jaco,

Sounds great, but I have a 10km run coming up this Saturday. What about next week (10 Aug)?

ewep - Next week we are looking to do the ride on Sunday (11 Aug). Actually we want to make this a Sunday event as far as possible.

The only reason we're going on Saturday this week is that we are doing a race on Sunday.

We're hoping to do this ride in the future on a regular basis on Sundays. This week we made it Sat. due to the Cyclone race on Sun.

Next week we'll do it Sun. (11th) same time same place. Will you be joining us?

Yes please Jaco. Will your avg speed stay the same. I'm still doing base, so I need the long slow ones. How long (time wise) is the ride?

Great, just what I need. Going to do my run this weekend and then the next I'll see you. Check your PM's in about 5 minutes.

Sounds cool 8)

I'd like to join but my base work rides would need to be around 25 - 27 km/h average speeds to keep the hR in the 60% zone.

Are there any stronger guys who'd like to ride together on Sundays?

I don't know exactly how fast 23 kph will be but is there space for a rank beginner (or two?). I'm likely to be getting a racer this week, but have been doing a few rides on my mtb (30-40 km's) and have a pretty good base fitness from squash.

Sean_L – :eek: 27 kph:eek: We’ll let you know when we’re at that fitness level ;)

Rhodent – Always nice to have another person ( or two)
xyxthumbs.gif
aboard, you should be ok with your current base fitness level. We’ll be meeting in the Vodaworld parking lot @ 07:30 this Sunday (hoping to make this a standing arrangement for every Sunday). See you there! Check your PM’s in a few minutes.

Would love to join you guys, but next 2 weekends are out.

I however did a 72km ride on Sunday. Avereged 27km/h. It's a failry flat ride from my house to Eikenhof (Lido Hotel), down the old Vereeniging rd to the highway and back. We had a fair amount of wind too. I was happy with my time but still feel my fitness levels could improve as I was exhausted at about 60km.

But if you guys are doing 75km in +/- 4 hours it will be nice ride.

Ouzo - this is an exellent route for base rides. Whitin the next few weeks we're going to explore a bit to see if we can't make the route a bit longer.

It would be great if you could join us in two weeks time.
xyxthumbs.gif

Good so see people are coming out of there hibernation :D

The first time we did the route it took us 4 hours. We found it a bit slow and did it the next time in 3:30 and found that perfect.

Seems as if this base training thing is paying of since I was able to ave 36km/h over 94km (flat route) in the Carousel classic on Friday without taking to much strain towards the end.

Sean L,

I'm keen for 27km+ rides. Not sure of time available this Sunday. Won't be abale to push harder though as this will be a recovery ride after a club ride.

I'm doing the Sun City MTB race on Saturday. Let me know if you're getting any more takers.

Sean L,

I'm keen for 27km+ rides.  Not sure of time available this Sunday.  Won't be abale to push harder though as this will be a recovery ride after a club ride.

I'm doing the Sun City MTB race on Saturday.  Let me know if you're getting any more takers.

Count me in as from 1 September!

Just need to get used to the altitude again.....

Now all we need is a Cyclingforums.com team - Eldron starts the ball rolling.....

sounds interesting, what time do u start, maybe i can join 18 aug. i am doin the lost city next week

Sean L,

I'm keen for 27km+ rides.  Not sure of time available this Sunday.  Won't be abale to push harder though as this will be a recovery ride after a club ride.

I'm doing the Sun City MTB race on Saturday.  Let me know if you're getting any more takers.
One friend "O' large one" so far is keen. Then Eldron and perhaps the rest of the LR Team gang.

One friend "O' large one" so far is keen. Then Eldron and perhaps the rest of the LR Team gang.

Bring on el Largo (private joke chaps - he's a portly friend of ours). The sad part is with a couple of weeks training he WHOOPS our asses - gotta hate naturals....

I'm almost sure I can guarantee the six of us joining in for a ride or 10. Go the reds!!!

Sean L and Eldron, <br /><br />Interested in a 120km ride @ 30 - 31km ave on Saturday? If you guys are interested, we can make more definate arrangements.