Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

minnesota bicyclists arrested

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 32 posts · 980 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 September 2007
Last activity
5 September 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
980
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

  2. Quoted message said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    [Odd, the link requires a login and password, but somehow I got there
    without ever signing up--probably the referring site has some sneaky
    trick. Here's the article.]

    Police arrested 19 bicyclists, including three juveniles, after a
    protest ride took an ugly turn in downtown Minneapolis Friday night.
    About 200 bicyclists were riding on La Salle Avenue, with two officers
    monitoring the protest that called for reduced reliance on automobile
    transportation. The ride was also linked with weekend protests of next
    year's Republican National Convention in the Twin Cities.

    When officers tried to arrest a rider they felt had been trying to
    provoke them, a scuffle broke out, said Minneapolis Police Lt. Marie
    Przynski.

    "When the officer went to arrest him, his buddy came up, and they
    started to struggle with the officer," Przynski said.

    A group surrounded the officers, and begin to chant "Let them go!"Then
    several people tried to prevent the officers from arresting these
    individuals," she said, and a skirmish ensued.

    Soon, the two officers were surrounded by about 30 people, and they
    issued the call "officer needs help."

    That brought 48 officers from six different law enforcement agencies
    racing to the scene, where the situation escalated and the officers
    used chemical Mace in an attempt to control the crowd, Przynski said.

    Police then called in medics to examine people who were sprayed. Some
    officers had minor injuries, such as scrapes, but nobody was seriously
    injured, said Przynski, the night watch commander.

    It was unclear, Przynski said, if the first people arrested were
    affiliated with the convention protest group. The lieutenant also said
    that a State Patrol helicopter had videotaped part of the event, and
    that documentation would be included in what police are now reviewing.

    Police said they have had little trouble with recent rallies staged by
    Critical Mass, a loosely organized group that opposes society's heavy
    use of motor vehicles.

    "We've never had a problem with Critical Mass, the rally," she said.
    "We agree with them that we need to lessen our dependence on the
    automobile. Apparently, they had some infiltrators or outsiders who
    joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders were trying to provoke
    the officers."

    The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    [Odd, the link requires a login and password, but somehow I got there
    without ever signing up--probably the referring site has some sneaky
    trick. Here's the article.]

    Police arrested 19 bicyclists, including three juveniles, after a
    protest ride took an ugly turn in downtown Minneapolis Friday night.
    About 200 bicyclists were riding on La Salle Avenue, with two officers
    monitoring the protest that called for reduced reliance on automobile
    transportation. The ride was also linked with weekend protests of next
    year's Republican National Convention in the Twin Cities.

    When officers tried to arrest a rider they felt had been trying to
    provoke them, a scuffle broke out, said Minneapolis Police Lt. Marie
    Przynski.

    "When the officer went to arrest him, his buddy came up, and they
    started to struggle with the officer," Przynski said.

    A group surrounded the officers, and begin to chant "Let them go!"Then
    several people tried to prevent the officers from arresting these
    individuals," she said, and a skirmish ensued.

    Soon, the two officers were surrounded by about 30 people, and they
    issued the call "officer needs help."

    That brought 48 officers from six different law enforcement agencies
    racing to the scene, where the situation escalated and the officers
    used chemical Mace in an attempt to control the crowd, Przynski said.

    Police then called in medics to examine people who were sprayed. Some
    officers had minor injuries, such as scrapes, but nobody was seriously
    injured, said Przynski, the night watch commander.

    It was unclear, Przynski said, if the first people arrested were
    affiliated with the convention protest group. The lieutenant also said
    that a State Patrol helicopter had videotaped part of the event, and
    that documentation would be included in what police are now reviewing.

    Police said they have had little trouble with recent rallies staged by
    Critical Mass, a loosely organized group that opposes society's heavy
    use of motor vehicles.

    "We've never had a problem with Critical Mass, the rally," she said.
    "We agree with them that we need to lessen our dependence on the
    automobile. Apparently, they had some infiltrators or outsiders who
    joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders were trying to provoke
    the officers."

    The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor

    I got to the link w/o any problems

  4. in rec.bicycles.tech said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
    was defunct.

    Put 'em under the jail, I say!

    Jones

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:
    in rec.bicycles.tech said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
    was defunct.

    Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
    defunct.

    Quoted message said:

    Put 'em under the jail, I say!

    While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
    reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

  6. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech
    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    Quoted message said:

    A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
    was defunct.

    Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
    defunct.

    Quoted message said:

    Put 'em under the jail, I say!

    While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
    reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

    The two Critical Mass rides I tried up in Chicago were the nastiest
    cycling events I've ever experienced. If they behaved anything like
    those self righteous, and often violent trustafarians--I'm also for
    letting them cool their heels in jail. Some of these kids need a
    reality check.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    landotter said:
    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech
    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    >http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    Quoted message said:

    A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that
    bunch was defunct.

    Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
    defunct.

    Quoted message said:

    Put 'em under the jail, I say!

    While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
    reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

    The two Critical Mass rides I tried up in Chicago were the nastiest
    cycling events I've ever experienced. If they behaved anything like
    those self righteous, and often violent trustafarians--I'm also for
    letting them cool their heels in jail. Some of these kids need a
    reality check.

    Being nasty is not a crime. Being self-righteous is not a crime. Being
    a "trustafarian" (which IME is not who is showing up at Critical Mass
    rides- they are usually the ones in the SUVs with a cell phone and a Red
    Bull and the subwoofer cranked up blasting out rap to show that they are
    down with the brothers, fuming while they have to wait for the
    procession of mere cyclists) is not a crime although it frequently leads
    to poor taste and self-indulgence.

    Violence is a crime. Attacking a police officer or interfering with an
    arrest is a crime. For that, an arrest and possible prosecution is
    appropriate. 48 officers were involved in the arrest of 19 individuals
    on "suspicion of rioting" charges, a gross misdemeanor:

    "Subdivision 1. Riot first degree. When three or more persons assembled
    disturb the public peace by an intentional act or threat of unlawful
    force or violence to person or property and a death results, and one of
    the persons is armed with a dangerous weapon, that person is guilty of
    riot first degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more
    than 20 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $35,000, or
    both.

    "Subd. 2. Riot second degree. When three or more persons assembled
    disturb the public peace by an intentional act or threat of unlawful
    force or violence to person or property, each participant who is armed
    with a dangerous weapon or knows that any other participant is armed
    with a dangerous weapon is guilty of riot second degree and may be
    sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of
    a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

    "Subd. 3. Riot third degree. When three or more persons assembled
    disturb the public peace by an intentional act or threat of unlawful
    force or violence to person or property, each participant therein is
    guilty of riot third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for
    not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $1,000,
    or both."

    If convicted, it could be an expensive Friday evening bike ride. That
    might be something of a reality check for them.

  8. Tim McNamara said:


    Being nasty is not a crime. Being self-righteous is not a crime. Being
    a "trustafarian" (which IME is not who is showing up at Critical Mass
    rides- they are usually the ones in the SUVs with a cell phone and a Red
    Bull and the subwoofer cranked up blasting out rap to show that they are
    down with the brothers, fuming while they have to wait for the
    procession of mere cyclists) is not a crime although it frequently leads
    to poor taste and self-indulgence.

    Violence is a crime. Attacking a police officer or interfering with an
    arrest is a crime. For that, an arrest and possible prosecution is
    appropriate. 48 officers were involved in the arrest of 19 individuals
    on "suspicion of rioting" charges, a gross misdemeanor:


    Also quoting from the article:

    Quoted post said:

    "We've never had a problem with Critical Mass, the rally," she
    said. "We agree with them that we need to lessen our dependence on the
    automobile. Apparently, they had some infiltrators or outsiders who
    joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders were trying to provoke
    the officers."

    The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross
    misdemeanor.

    I have no problem with the notion of an adult assaulting a police
    officer being arre4sted and prosecuted. The misdemeanor riot charge
    is a gift.

  9. in rec.bicycles.tech Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:
    in rec.bicycles.tech said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
    was defunct.

    Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
    defunct.

    Quoted message said:

    Put 'em under the jail, I say!

    While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
    reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

    Well, essentially Critical Mass (CM) is what's wrong with our social
    fabric. It's not about bicycles, it's about civil behavior... the
    fact that I believe myself to be a victim does not allow me to
    infringe the rights of others. When a CM rider runs a red light and
    causes a driver with a clear right of way to slam on his or her
    brakes, then the cyclist is wrong.

    How did Pogo put it back in '70? "We have met the enemy and he is
    us." It's an identical mentality... the only difference is the number
    of wheels your vehicle has on the ground, which, IMO, is irrelevant.

    Jones... who remains unconvinced but is still listening.

  10. in rec.bicycles.tech landotter said:

    The two Critical Mass rides I tried up in Chicago were the nastiest
    cycling events I've ever experienced. If they behaved anything like
    those self righteous, and often violent trustafarians--I'm also for
    letting them cool their heels in jail. Some of these kids need a
    reality check.

    My wife and I were riding in Austin, TX when a CM ride passed us. We
    dismounted our tandem and walked. And I *agree* with CM's position...
    but I will not be associated in any way with their behavior.

    Jones

  11. Quoting a police spokesperson: (clip) "We've never had a problem with
    Critical Mass, the rally," she said. "We agree with them that we need to
    lessen our dependence on the automobile. Apparently, they had some
    infiltrators or outsiders who joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders
    were trying to provoke the officers." (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It is refreshing to see that the police have a reasonable approach to what
    happened, and do not treat Critical Mass as "the enemy," the way many of the
    responders to this thread seem do.

    I have very little use for Critical Mass, because their actions are
    calculated to create inconvenience, and this increases hostility among the
    non-riding public. It evidently creates hostility among riders, as well.
    This is no reason to throw them "under the jail."

    Quoted message said:


    The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor

  12. Leo Lichtman said:

    I have very little use for Critical Mass, because their actions are
    calculated to create inconvenience,

    Protests that cause no inconvenience have zero effect. Civil
    disobedience is just that. In the case of Critical Mass rides, there
    is very little inconvenience relative to what happened in the '60s. In
    larger cities, they have a police escort for public safety. Hard to
    see how that is more inconvenient than streets closed off for a
    marathon or bike race.

    I think the protest message that Critical Mass is trying to impart is
    the difficulty and inequity that bicycles have commuting in cities
    versus cars. Amazing that even posters here find that small
    inconvenience offensive!

  13. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:
    in rec.bicycles.tech Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech
    [email hidden] wrote:

    >http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
    was defunct.

    Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
    defunct.

    Quoted message said:

    Put 'em under the jail, I say!

    While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
    reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

    Well, essentially Critical Mass (CM) is what's wrong with our social
    fabric. It's not about bicycles, it's about civil behavior... the
    fact that I believe myself to be a victim does not allow me to
    infringe the rights of others. When a CM rider runs a red light and
    causes a driver with a clear right of way to slam on his or her
    brakes, then the cyclist is wrong.

    How did Pogo put it back in '70? "We have met the enemy and he is
    us." It's an identical mentality... the only difference is the number
    of wheels your vehicle has on the ground, which, IMO, is irrelevant.

    No, not the 1970's. Walt Kelly drew and wrote Pogo.

    ----------------
    Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
    Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
    Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
    Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!

    Don't we know archaic barrel,
    Lullaby Lilla boy, Louisville Lou?
    Trolley Molly don't love Harold,
    Boola boola Pensacoola hullabaloo!

    Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
    Polly wolly cracker n' too-da-loo!
    Hunky Dory's pop is lolly gaggin' on the wagon,
    [censored], folly go through!

    Donkey Bonny brays a carol,
    Antelope Cantaloup, 'lope with you!
    Chollie's collie barks at Barrow,
    Harum scarum five alarum bung-a-loo!
    ----------------

    I think I know what happened to Gene Daniels.

    --
    Michael Press

  14. !Jones said:


    My wife and I were riding in Austin, TX when a CM ride passed us. We
    dismounted our tandem and walked. And I *agree* with CM's position...
    but I will not be associated in any way with their behavior.

    But you'll drive in freeway traffic, I guess. Behavior
    notwithstanding.

    If you've never ridden in a Critical Mass, you're missing out. It's
    fun. It's wholesome. (If it ain't fun, it ain't a proper Mass.)

    All of us have to do a lot of unnecessary waiting for car traffic, by
    design. If once a month, a handful of car drivers have to do a bit of
    unnecessary waiting for us, so much the better. How else are we to
    make our point (in a way that will actually be heard, that is)?

    Chalo

  15. in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo said:

    How else are we to
    make our point (in a way that will actually be heard, that is)?

    When you're on the road, regardless of what you happen to be
    operating, observe the traffic laws and be considerate of others. I
    learned *that* in grade school. Realize that the fact that some
    people did not get it then does not excuse rude or boorish behavior on
    your part (generic second person).

    You won't be heard; however you will make a difference! By refusing
    to be a jerk, you will insure that there will be one fewer jerk on the
    road. I find that it helps my attitude to know that, today at least,
    I was not a part of the madness... and CM is.

    Jones

  16. in rec.bicycles.tech Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:

    How did Pogo put it back in '70? "We have met the enemy and he is
    us." It's an identical mentality... the only difference is the number
    of wheels your vehicle has on the ground, which, IMO, is irrelevant.

    No, not the 1970's. Walt Kelly drew and wrote Pogo.

    Well, I had a copy of the poster above my army bunk in Vietnam. That
    would have been '71. As I recall, Kelly released it for the first
    "Earth Day" in 1970 and the cartoon version was slightly earlier.
    Yes... I just found the poster, yellow with age and tattered... and it
    says, "Copyright 1970" in still visable printing.

    Can't believe I could find that. Now, where are my house keys?

    Jones

  17. Quoted message said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    How about-'protesters who were riding bicycles got arrested'..it was
    about civil disobedience, not riding a bike.

  18. in rec.bicycles.tech Doug Taylor said:
    Quoted post said:

    "We've never had a problem with Critical Mass, the rally," she
    said. "We agree with them that we need to lessen our dependence on the
    automobile. Apparently, they had some infiltrators or outsiders who
    joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders were trying to provoke
    the officers."

    I didn't know CM had formal "membership", per se. Yup; according to
    http://www.critical-mass.org/ (which is probably as valid information
    as one can get), "Critical Mass is not an organization, it's an
    unorganized coincidence..." So, my question is: how does an outsider
    infiltrate an unorganized coincidence? It's nonsense!

    As I recall, every CM "coincidence" I have witnessed usually included
    a couple of fist fights and some arrests... and the one I saw was
    between two cyclists because one got in the other's way. My favorite
    part was watching the riders hoist their bikes into their pick-up
    trucks after the ride... I did get a belly laugh out of that!

    Quoted message said:

    The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross
    misdemeanor.

    "Suspicion of rioting", huh? I like that almost as much as the
    riders' pick-up trucks.

    Essentially, I would agree with CM. Philosophically, I agree with
    Timothy McVeigh... or did before he was strapped to the gurney. There
    are lots of things wrong with our society and, many times, I feel like
    acting... and this probably involves sustained automatic weapons fire.
    I don't *do* that because such behavior carries severe penalties. I
    am fully in favor of allowing the people who choose to participate in
    a CM "coincidence" and subsequently violate the law in any way to
    suffer the consequences thereof.

    Jones

  19. On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 05:32:02 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech "Qui si parla

    Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

    How about-'protesters who were riding bicycles got arrested'..it was
    about civil disobedience, not riding a bike.

    Agree. "Protesters Arrested" and leave it there. Cycles had nothing
    to do with it.

    Jones

  20. Doug Taylor said:

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:10:27 -0500, Tim McNamara

    Quoted message said:

    Being nasty is not a crime. Being self-righteous is not a crime. Being
    a "trustafarian" (which IME is not who is showing up at Critical Mass
    rides- they are usually the ones in the SUVs with a cell phone and a Red
    Bull and the subwoofer cranked up blasting out rap to show that they are
    down with the brothers, fuming while they have to wait for the
    procession of mere cyclists) is not a crime although it frequently leads
    to poor taste and self-indulgence.

    Quoted message said:

    Violence is a crime. Attacking a police officer or interfering with an
    arrest is a crime. For that, an arrest and possible prosecution is
    appropriate. 48 officers were involved in the arrest of 19 individuals
    on "suspicion of rioting" charges, a gross misdemeanor:

    Also quoting from the article:

    Quoted post said:

    "We've never had a problem with Critical Mass, the rally," she
    said. "We agree with them that we need to lessen our dependence on the
    automobile. Apparently, they had some infiltrators or outsiders who
    joined the rally tonight. And these outsiders were trying to provoke
    the officers."

    The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross
    misdemeanor.

    I have no problem with the notion of an adult assaulting a police
    officer being arre4sted and prosecuted. The misdemeanor riot charge
    is a gift.

    Yup.

    I'm NO fan of cops, mind, I'm one of those folks that believe that
    this country is teetering on the precipice of fascism--but smug civil
    disorder is not the answer. Stopping traffic with a protest for equal
    rights for the races might very well be the appropriate thing to do to
    gain attention for a human rights issue--I'd extend that to shutting
    down a city center non-violently for equal rights for gays--but
    deliberately snarling traffic with bicycles is absurd, and serves no
    purpose other than to enrage, inconvenience, and to inflate the
    righteousness of the trustafarians. I'm saying that as a guy that
    rides far more than he drives. I'm not for randomly jailing folks by
    any means--but if you create civil disorder, you need to be detained.
    Hopefully the cops will give you a soda and a vegan cutlet while
    you're cooling down.

    Do think about purchasing a tactical length Mossberg shotgun do defend
    against a future police state:

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.