General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

MiniMed Paradigm 512 versus D-Tron Plus (Diesetronic)

Started by Martin · · Last activity · 85 posts · 3,059 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 January 2004
Last activity
13 January 2004
Original author
Martin
Posts
85
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,059
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 85
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    can anyone compare Paradigm and D-Tron pumps, i.e. which is the pump of your choice???

    I am going through psychological dilema: either to have a small pump with great display and
    programing, or to have a big one with ugly screen (to me) but with the ability to use prefilled
    cartridges...

    Are the prefilled cartridges such a big advantage? Is the 176 units reservoir enough?

    Thanks Igor

  2. It isn't a big deal to fill a syringe from a bottle of insulin. It takes about 15 - 20 seconds to
    grab the bottle, shove the needle in and get the bubbles out. 176 units is enough if you want to go
    3 full days and use less than 176/3 units per day! <g> My 508 can hold 300 units!! If you need
    100U/day, there you go.

    Small is nice, and the quality of programming is paramount. I would not opt for a pump that had
    limited, or "kludgy" programming screens. You want a pump that is user friendly so that setting it
    because second nature. I have a 508 and my wife has a Paradigm. Personally, I like the 508 better in
    most respects; the Paradigm has a couple of nice features, but not enough to sway me to get one.

    dave

    Martin said:

    Hi,

    can anyone compare Paradigm and D-Tron pumps, i.e. which is the pump of your choice???

    I am going through psychological dilema: either to have a small pump with great display and
    programing, or to have a big one with ugly screen (to me) but with the ability to use prefilled
    cartridges...

    Are the prefilled cartridges such a big advantage? Is the 176 units reservoir enough?

    Thanks Igor

  3. Disetronic is no longer allowed to sell pumps in the US. Didnt comply with FDA. My daughter was a
    Dtron plus user and switched after the FDA fiasco. She is now using a MM 512. She likes it very
    much. Hasnt complained about having to fill the cartridge. Less of a problem then we thought. Go for
    the MM, cant buy a Dtron in the US.

  4. (Martin) said:

    Hi,

    can anyone compare Paradigm and D-Tron pumps, i.e. which is the pump of your choice???

    I am going through psychological dilema: either to have a small pump with great display and
    programing, or to have a big one with ugly screen (to me) but with the ability to use prefilled
    cartridges...

    Are the prefilled cartridges such a big advantage? Is the 176 units reservoir enough?

    Thanks

    Given the long list of issues that the FDA has run into with Disetronic, I'd be very reluctant to go
    anywhere near a D-Tron product. The FDA has officially classed D-Tron pumps as 'Adulterated Medical
    Devices', and are subject to siezure on importantion. FDA 510K approvals have all been suspended.

    The letter from the FDA to Disetronic is pretty ugly, and if you read what Disetronic has to say on
    their web site, they aren't actively denying any of it.

    Quoted message said:

    Igor

  5. First, have you gone to insulin-pumpers.org and checked out the link to all the pumps there?
    Although I have, and prefer the MiniMed displays, you might find something you like. The Dana
    Diabecare and the Nipro Amigo both look cool...

    Also to directly answer your question. Even if the Disetronic were available, I don't think it would
    have the "Bolus Wizard" feature that the 512 does. Although I was skeptical about this, after
    reading Dr. Biggs' responses to my posts in question of this feature, I am convinced that it could
    be helpful. If nothing else, it could save me having to do all the constant math. 🙂

    Although I was partial to the MiniMed 508, which I have been using for years, when I was forced
    recently to use the 511 (the predecessor similar to the 512), I found several things to like about
    it. One of them was the easy way the reservoirs are filled. Although not perfect (in mine, the snap-
    lock keeps coming undone), it allows them to be filled and handled easily without a syringe
    attachment, and without as many bubbles (nearly none) as with the syringe and bottle method. In
    fact, FWIW, one of the reasons I would not choose one of the other pumps, is that they symbolize
    what MiniMed calls the "reservoir" with a syringe, a big syringe, on the display. Not the most
    tasteful thing to look at. I mean I don't have any problem with syringes, but it's not really a
    syringe, it's a reservoir (or a cartridge). A syringe is used for injection. MiniMed's 508 just uses
    the Luer lock needle to attach to the reservoir to fill it.

    I'm not a big MiniMed fan, but they, I think, have the best products on the market. According to my
    old MiniMed sales rep, they are the most popular as well (if that matters).

    --
    Antonio
    Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years
    On Insulin Pump
    "Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    can anyone compare Paradigm and D-Tron pumps, i.e. which is the pump
    of your choice???

    I am going through psychological dilema: either to have a small pump
    with great display and programing, or to have a big one with ugly
    screen (to me) but with the ability to use prefilled cartridges...

    Are the prefilled cartridges such a big advantage? Is the 176 units
    reservoir enough?

    Thanks
    Igor

  6. (Martin) said:

    Hi,

    can anyone compare Paradigm and D-Tron pumps, i.e. which is the pump of your choice???

    I am going through psychological dilema: either to have a small pump with great display and
    programing, or to have a big one with ugly screen (to me) but with the ability to use prefilled
    cartridges...

    Are the prefilled cartridges such a big advantage? Is the 176 units reservoir enough? concatenated
    Thanks Igor

    ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    newsfeed.comnewsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  7. if it took time to get them out of here

    how did they ever get approval in the first place?

    MiniMed you watching????

    case

    the case, minus a few cans!

  8. Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best feature of the 512 is that it
    makes adjustment for insulin that is still active. Very very helpful. Just a better pump having
    tried both. Igor, believe me, if Dtron was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have
    use both. Really no comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron back twice
    because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably squirting out.

  9. I would agree with Dave completely on the 508...besides I take anywhere from 50-60 units a day so
    the 176 unit reservoir leaves no room for error especially if you need a few supplemental boluses or
    you are ill. While you can change the infusion set every two days instead of the standard 3 days
    that can get expensive with the Paradigm.

    --
    Steve Type 1 DM since 1967 MiniMed 508 since early 2002 Toronto, ON Canada

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It isn't a big deal to fill a syringe from a bottle of insulin. It takes about 15 - 20 seconds to
    grab the bottle, shove the needle in and get the bubbles out. 176 units is enough if you want to
    go 3 full days and use less than 176/3 units per day! <g> My 508 can hold 300 units!! If you need
    100U/day, there you go.

    Small is nice, and the quality of programming is paramount. I would not opt for a pump that had
    limited, or "kludgy" programming screens. You want a pump that is user friendly so that setting
    it because second nature. I have a 508 and my wife has a Paradigm. Personally, I like the 508
    better in most respects; the Paradigm has a couple of nice features, but not enough to sway me to
    get one.

    dave

    Martin said:

    Hi,

    can anyone compare Paradigm and D-Tron pumps, i.e. which is the pump of your choice???

    I am going through psychological dilema: either to have a small pump with great display and
    programing, or to have a big one with ugly screen (to me) but with the ability to use prefilled
    cartridges...

    Are the prefilled cartridges such a big advantage? Is the 176 units reservoir enough?

    Thanks Igor

  10. ) that makes his choice a whole lot easier!

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Disetronic is no longer allowed to sell pumps in the US. Didnt comply with FDA. My daughter was a
    Dtron plus user and switched after the FDA fiasco. She is now using a MM 512. She likes it very
    much. Hasnt complained about having to fill the cartridge. Less of a problem then we thought. Go
    for the MM, cant buy a Dtron in the US.

  11. do you think MiniMed has hired a few more lawyers lately, now that the Paradigm not being watertight
    is public knowledge? <g> Every time I think of their response, it just frosts my butt.

    dave

    IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN said:

    if it took time to get them out of here

    how did they ever get approval in the first place?

    MiniMed you watching????

    case

    the case, minus a few cans!

  12. I didn't see instructions in the 512 manual to change the length of time that Humalog is active.
    Does MiniMed assume everyone has the same "decay time", or did I miss a page?

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best feature of the 512 is that
    it makes adjustment for insulin that is still active. Very very helpful. Just a better pump having
    tried both. Igor, believe me, if Dtron was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have
    use both. Really no comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron back
    twice because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably squirting out.

  13. Bay Area Dave <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    🙂 that makes his choice a whole lot easier!

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Disetronic is no longer allowed to sell pumps in the US. Didnt comply with FDA. My daughter was
    a Dtron plus user and switched after the FDA fiasco. She is now using a MM 512. She likes it
    very much. Hasnt complained about having to fill the cartridge. Less of a problem then we
    thought. Go for the MM, cant buy a Dtron in the US.

    Actully I'm not from US but from Czech Republic (a relatively small country in the center of Europe
    [a relatively unimportant continent siting on the other side compared to America]). The problem with
    being a diabetic in Czech Republic is that with total population near 10 million people you do not
    have as important market as the US (and also the army tends to be a lot smaller and less dangerous).
    As result only three companies and their pumps are more or less present in Czech republic:
    1. Minimed - ok, average support
    2. Disetronic - 2 pumps, great support
    3. Animas - small Co. and I don't like their system menus and small fonts...

    The fact is that Disetronic has the highest number of users in our country and the far best
    support...

    ...just to explain, why Disetronic is still in the game...

    Igor

  14. Dave,

    I read the manual and got that too. I did not see anyway to change the time activity profile of the
    insulin. (FWIW, my doctor says that Novolog has a longer "tail" than Humalog.)

    MiniMed has their time activity profile curve on their Website. Here is the URL:
    minimed.compf ipt paradigm bolus.shtml

    --
    Antonio
    Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years
    On Insulin Pump
    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't see instructions in the 512 manual to change the length of time
    that Humalog is active. Does MiniMed assume everyone has the same
    "decay time", or did I miss a page?

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best


    feature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of the 512 is that it makes adjustment for insulin that is still active.


    Very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very helpful. Just a better pump having tried both. Igor, believe me, if


    Dtron

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have use both.


    Really no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    twice because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably


    squirting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out.

  15. Dave,

    There is a setup parameter in the 512 where you choose "regular" or "analog" insulin.

    This factors in a longer decay time for regular vs analog.

    The difference between Novolog and Humalog are negligible. You are correct that the calculation used
    in the pump is the same for everybody.

    While it might be easy to criticize the algorithm used as not being more adaptable, I would point
    out that this is the only pump that has this feature at all. I would not be surprised if future
    versions do allow for some adjustment of insulin duration.

    Particularly when Aventis' fast acting analog becomes available.

    Cheers, William C Biggs, MD

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't see instructions in the 512 manual to change the length of time that Humalog is active.
    Does MiniMed assume everyone has the same "decay time", or did I miss a page?

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best


    feature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of the 512 is that it makes adjustment for insulin that is still active.


    Very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very helpful. Just a better pump having tried both. Igor, believe me, if


    Dtron

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have use both.


    Really no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    twice because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably


    squirting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out.

  16. Igor, I see your point! 🙂 I assumed you were in the States. Not being familiar with the newer
    Disetronics, I should defer to someone with knowledge of both pumps. All I can say is I looked into
    the Disetronic pump in 1996 when I chose the MiniMed 506. At that time, I preferred the function and
    programming of the MiniMed. I presume things have changed since then...there are plenty of folks who
    prefer the 508 to the Paradigm, me being ONE of them. Newer isn't always better.

    dave

    Martin said:

    Bay Area Dave <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    🙂 that makes his choice a whole lot easier!

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Disetronic is no longer allowed to sell pumps in the US. Didnt comply with FDA. My daughter was a
    Dtron plus user and switched after the FDA fiasco. She is now using a MM 512. She likes it very
    much. Hasnt complained about having to fill the cartridge. Less of a problem then we thought. Go
    for the MM, cant buy a Dtron in the US.

    Actully I'm not from US but from Czech Republic (a relatively small country in the center of
    Europe [a relatively unimportant continent siting on the other side compared to America]). The
    problem with being a diabetic in Czech Republic is that with total population near 10 million
    people you do not have as important market as the US (and also the army tends to be a lot smaller
    and less dangerous). As result only three companies and their pumps are more or less present in
    Czech republic:
    1. Minimed - ok, average support
    2. Disetronic - 2 pumps, great support
    3. Animas - small Co. and I don't like their system menus and small fonts...

    The fact is that Disetronic has the highest number of users in our country and the far best
    support...

    ...just to explain, why Disetronic is still in the game...

    Igor

  17. Here is the graph of the time activity profile of Humalog from Lilly.

    lillydiabetes.comTimeActivityProfiles.cfm

    MiniMed and Lilly appear to have differing opinions about how long the insulin remains working.
    However, I think I would trust Lilly's information more than MiniMed, since they are the insulin
    manufacturer. I guess it's just another lame MiniMed thing.

    --
    Antonio
    Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years
    On Insulin Pump
    "Juan Antonio" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dave,

    I read the manual and got that too. I did not see anyway to change the


    time

    Quoted message said:

    activity profile of the insulin. (FWIW, my doctor says that Novolog has a
    longer "tail" than Humalog.)

    MiniMed has their time activity profile curve on their Website. Here is


    the

    Quoted message said:

    URL: minimed.compf ipt paradigm bolus.shtml

    --
    Antonio
    Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years
    On Insulin Pump
    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't see instructions in the 512 manual to change the length of time
    that Humalog is active. Does MiniMed assume everyone has the same
    "decay time", or did I miss a page?

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best


    feature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of the 512 is that it makes adjustment for insulin that is still


    active.

    Quoted message said:

    Very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very helpful. Just a better pump having tried both. Igor, believe me,


    if

    Quoted message said:

    Dtron

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have use both.


    Really no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    twice because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably


    squirting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out.


  18. thanks. I think that graph more closely resembles the activity of Humalog in me as opposed to what
    Lily had advertised when it first came out. For grins I'm gonna jump to the Lily site. Aha! They
    show Humalog with a shorter duration than MiniMed. MiniMed doesn't show a 2 hour peak either. That's
    STRANGE. very strange. There is a disconnect between Lily and MiniMed.

    dave

    Juan Antonio said:

    Dave,

    I read the manual and got that too. I did not see anyway to change the time activity profile of
    the insulin. (FWIW, my doctor says that Novolog has a longer "tail" than Humalog.)

    MiniMed has their time activity profile curve on their Website. Here is the URL:
    minimed.compf ipt paradigm bolus.shtml

    --
    Antonio Age 37, Type 1 for 10 years On Insulin Pump "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't see instructions in the 512 manual to change the length of time that Humalog is active.
    Does MiniMed assume everyone has the same "decay time", or did I miss a page?

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best

    feature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of the 512 is that it makes adjustment for insulin that is still active.

    Very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very helpful. Just a better pump having tried both. Igor, believe me, if

    Dtron

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have use both.

    Really no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron

    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    twice because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably

    squirting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out.


  19. Martin,

    First, welcome to the group.

    Second, I'd like to know how your system of diabetes care works in the Czech Republic. I've been
    very interested in your country since I was 12 years old, listened to Radio Prague on shortwave, and
    subseqently watched on TV while the Soviets invaded in 1968.

    I made it a point to get a hotel in Wencelas Square when I visited Prague a few years ago. What a
    beautiful city! The citizens there are rightfully proud of the city and its culture. I am looking
    forward to going back.

    Many of the programming improvements in the Paradigm reflect how diabetes in managed in the US. We
    now are more likely to have pumpers count carbohydrates, whereas 10 years ago most pumpers were
    using fixed exchange diets. We also are more systematic about calculating the correction doses for
    hyperglycemia.

    If you don't count carbs, or if you can do the calculations easily in your head, then the Disetronic
    may be a preferable pump for your location. I think the degree of success you have with a pump is
    heavily influenced by the amount of support you have from your diabetes team....the doctor, the
    teaching nurses, and the dietitian. If those professionals are much more familiar with the
    Disetronic, you may have a better chance of success.

    I think both companies are excellent companies. I could see that you probably would have better
    customer service in Czech Republic from Disetronic vs MiniMed. Do they have a pump representative
    nearby from each company ? Perhaps they can give you the names of some pump users locally; then you
    can call them and ask how satisfied they were with the pump & the support they had from their
    doctors and the pump company.

    Good Luck, William C Biggs, MD

    "Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bay Area Dave <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    🙂 that makes his choice a whole lot easier!

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Disetronic is no longer allowed to sell pumps in the US. Didnt comply


    with FDA.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My daughter was a Dtron plus user and switched after the FDA fiasco.


    She is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    now using a MM 512. She likes it very much. Hasnt complained about


    having to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fill the cartridge. Less of a problem then we thought. Go for the MM,


    cant buy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a Dtron in the US.

    Actully I'm not from US but from Czech Republic (a relatively small country in the center of
    Europe [a relatively unimportant continent siting on the other side compared to America]). The
    problem with being a diabetic in Czech Republic is that with total population near 10 million
    people you do not have as important market as the US (and also the army tends to be a lot smaller
    and less dangerous). As result only three companies and their pumps are more or less present in
    Czech republic:
    1. Minimed - ok, average support
    2. Disetronic - 2 pumps, great support
    3. Animas - small Co. and I don't like their system menus and small fonts...

    The fact is that Disetronic has the highest number of users in our country and the far best
    support...

    ...just to explain, why Disetronic is still in the game...

    Igor

  20. Thanks. Will that new insulin be even faster than Humalog with a quicker peak and shorter
    duration also?

    dave

    William C Biggs said:

    Dave,

    There is a setup parameter in the 512 where you choose "regular" or "analog" insulin.

    This factors in a longer decay time for regular vs analog.

    The difference between Novolog and Humalog are negligible. You are correct that the calculation
    used in the pump is the same for everybody.

    While it might be easy to criticize the algorithm used as not being more adaptable, I would point
    out that this is the only pump that has this feature at all. I would not be surprised if future
    versions do allow for some adjustment of insulin duration.

    Particularly when Aventis' fast acting analog becomes available.

    Cheers, William C Biggs, MD

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't see instructions in the 512 manual to change the length of time that Humalog is active.
    Does MiniMed assume everyone has the same "decay time", or did I miss a page?

    dave

    Ginplayr said:

    Oh yes forget to mention the bolus wizard on the MM. But the very best

    feature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of the 512 is that it makes adjustment for insulin that is still active.

    Very

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very helpful. Just a better pump having tried both. Igor, believe me, if

    Dtron

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was a better product would tell you to buy it. But we have use both.

    Really no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    comparison, regardless of the FDA fiasco. Btw, had to send the Dtron

    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    twice because of major malfunctions-such as insulin uncontrolably

    squirting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out.


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.