General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Mercury Toxicity and Vegetarian Diet

Started by ta · · Last activity · 12 posts · 398 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 May 2004
Last activity
14 June 2004
Original author
ta
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
398
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dr. Hal Huggins claims that a vegetarian/vegan diet is counterproductive to
    recovering from mercury toxicity as a result of poisoning from dental
    amalgams. Specifically, he says:

    "For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
    progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
    reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
    in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
    level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
    meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
    been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
    health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
    they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head"😉.

    I have two questions:

    1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins' claim
    is true.
    2. Has anyone personally either failed or succeeded in recovering from
    mercury toxicity on a veg*n diet?

    Thanks very much for any input.

  2. I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on sulphur
    and zinc

  3. "Bracken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on


    sulphur

    Quoted message said:

    and zinc

    Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

  4. ta said:

    "Bracken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on


    sulphur

    Quoted message said:

    and zinc

    Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

    sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce metal-binding
    proteins.

  5. Bracken said:
    ta said:

    "Bracken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low
    on sulphur and zinc

    Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

    sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
    metal-binding proteins.

    Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so does
    DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient? As to
    zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

  6. ta said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low
    >on sulphur and zinc
    >

    Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

    sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
    metal-binding proteins.

    Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so does
    DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient? As to
    zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

    Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and tie
    up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both. Just
    adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those minerals.

    The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a
    pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g
    and 75g trials).
    http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

  7. "usual suspect" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    ta said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low
    >>on sulphur and zinc
    >>
    >
    >Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

    sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
    metal-binding proteins.

    Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so


    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient?


    As to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

    Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and


    tie

    Quoted message said:

    up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both.


    Just

    Quoted message said:

    adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those


    minerals.

    Quoted message said:


    The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth


    of a

    Quoted message said:

    pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on


    50g

    Quoted message said:

    and 75g trials).
    http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

    Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to that effect
    (although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are aok). Also,
    increasing zinc supplementation should increase the level of absorbtion:

    "Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians because
    of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is very important
    for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in their diet (2, 21)."

    http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl

    In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with colloidal
    minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.

    Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
    altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in mercury
    toxic patients:

    "Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red blood
    cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking caffeine, and
    other potentially destructive habits. Of particular interest to me was the
    profound reaction of a patient one hour after he ate the pork. I noted that
    more than half of his red blood cells were then what are termed "ghosts".
    Ghosts are red cells that have lost their hemoglobin."
    (p.106, "It's All in Your Head"😉.

  8. ta said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low
    >>>on sulphur and zinc
    >>>
    >>
    >>Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.
    >
    >sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
    >metal-binding proteins.

    Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so

    does

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient?

    As to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

    Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and

    tie

    Quoted message said:

    up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both.

    Just

    Quoted message said:

    adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those

    minerals.

    Quoted message said:

    The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth

    of a

    Quoted message said:

    pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on

    50g

    Quoted message said:

    and 75g trials).
    http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

    Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to that effect
    (although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are aok). Also,
    increasing zinc supplementation should increase the level of absorbtion:

    "Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians because
    of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is very important
    for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in their diet (2, 21)."

    http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl

    In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with colloidal
    minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.

    Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
    altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in mercury
    toxic patients:

    "Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red blood
    cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking caffeine, and
    other potentially destructive habits. Of particular interest to me was the
    profound reaction of a patient one hour after he ate the pork. I noted that
    more than half of his red blood cells were then what are termed "ghosts".
    Ghosts are red cells that have lost their hemoglobin."
    (p.106, "It's All in Your Head"😉.

    I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins, who is a
    dentist by profession. Pinto has ties to the Weston Price people. I would
    dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote conveyed in your quote, you
    might be surprised at the body's reactions to digesting various other foods, not
    to mention the affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
    about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy weight, and
    staying physically active. Too much of anything is bad -- and that includes
    stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing sight of the major ones.

  9. usual suspect said:
    ta said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>> I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be
    >>>> low on sulphur and zinc
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.
    >>
    >> sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
    >> metal-binding proteins.
    >
    > Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but
    > so

    does

    Quoted message said:

    > DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be
    > sufficient?

    As to

    Quoted message said:

    > zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

    Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates
    bind and

    tie

    Quoted message said:

    up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of
    both.

    Just

    Quoted message said:

    adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of
    both those

    minerals.

    Quoted message said:

    The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an
    eighth

    of a

    Quoted message said:

    pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57%
    (respectively on

    50g

    Quoted message said:

    and 75g trials).
    http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

    Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to
    that effect (although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are
    aok). Also, increasing zinc supplementation should increase the
    level of absorbtion:

    "Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians
    because of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is
    very important for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in
    their diet (2, 21)."

    http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl

    In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with
    colloidal minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.

    Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
    altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in
    mercury toxic patients:

    "Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red
    blood cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking
    caffeine, and other potentially destructive habits. Of particular
    interest to me was the profound reaction of a patient one hour after
    he ate the pork. I noted that more than half of his red blood cells
    were then what are termed "ghosts". Ghosts are red cells that have
    lost their hemoglobin." (p.106, "It's All in Your Head"😉.

    I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins,
    who is a dentist by profession.

    If I'm going to ignore all anecdotal evidence, then should I also ignore his
    comments about vegetarian diets and mercury toxicity?:

    "For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
    progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
    reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
    in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
    level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
    meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
    been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
    health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
    they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head"😉.

    There are no scientific studies to support this claim, as far as I know;
    only anecdotal evidence.

    Quoted message said:

    Pinto has ties to the Weston Price
    people. I would dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote
    conveyed in your quote, you might be surprised at the body's
    reactions to digesting various other foods, not to mention the
    affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
    about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy
    weight, and staying physically active.

    The last thing an individual with mercury poisoning should do is exert
    oneself physically. The blood work is definitely a key issue though, yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Too much of anything is bad --
    and that includes stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing
    sight of the major ones.

    I certainly don't consider the decisions about what to put into my body
    "nitpicking over minor issues". The major issue to me is how best to
    recover, and that includes carefully considering my diet. And it's not
    stressful, it's due diligence.

    So regarding the zinc issue, there's no reason why extra supplementation of
    zinc should not compensate for the lower zinc absorption rate from
    non-animal sources of zinc, right?

  10. ta wrote:
    <...>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins,
    who is a dentist by profession.

    If I'm going to ignore all anecdotal evidence, then should I also ignore his
    comments about vegetarian diets and mercury toxicity?:

    It depends. Have you been diagnosed with mercury toxicity by a medical professional?

    Quoted message said:

    "For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
    progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
    reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
    in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
    level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
    meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
    been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
    health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
    they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head"😉.

    There are no scientific studies to support this claim, as far as I know;
    only anecdotal evidence.

    At this point, shall I remind you of what you wrote at aaev about superstitions?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pinto has ties to the Weston Price
    people. I would dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote
    conveyed in your quote, you might be surprised at the body's
    reactions to digesting various other foods, not to mention the
    affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
    about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy
    weight, and staying physically active.

    The last thing an individual with mercury poisoning should do is exert
    oneself physically. The blood work is definitely a key issue though, yes.

    Have you had yours checked by a real doctor in a real lab? Even if you have a
    chip on your shoulder about modern medicine, I would think it's a good first
    step to get real information before self-diagnosing and self-treating something
    that may not be wrong.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Too much of anything is bad --
    and that includes stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing
    sight of the major ones.

    I certainly don't consider the decisions about what to put into my body
    "nitpicking over minor issues".

    Oh, neither do I.

    Quoted message said:

    The major issue to me is how best to
    recover, and that includes carefully considering my diet. And it's not
    stressful, it's due diligence.

    So regarding the zinc issue, there's no reason why extra supplementation of
    zinc should not compensate for the lower zinc absorption rate from
    non-animal sources of zinc, right?

    It depends on your diet (especially phytates) and your absorption rate. If
    you're not zinc deficient now, I don't see a need to go overboard. That can be
    even worse since excess zinc is toxic and obstructs metabolism of iron and
    copper. Everything in moderation...

  11. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: Mercury Toxicity and Vegetarian Diet
    From: usual suspect [email hidden]
    Date: 6/4/04 11:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    You may want to factor these known facts into your logic:

    Quoted message said:

    Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates

    Phytic acid is a human poison. lt is toxic to the human in excessive amounts.
    That is one reason why humans are encouraged to soak their grains, extract the
    phytic acid, and then throw the phytic acid away.

    Quoted message said:

    Phytates bind and tie
    up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both.
    Just
    adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those
    minerals.

    Iron in meat is primarily in the blood. The human bocy cannot handle that form
    of iron and cannot regulate its absorbtion or elimination. Thus, we now have
    all the diseases of iron overload being reported.
    Plant iron, such as that in an apple, can be handled by the body. One must
    consider the source of the iron when discussing its absorbtion and utilization
    in the human body.

    Quoted message said:

    The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of
    a
    pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on
    50g
    and 75g trials).

    Why should the eating of blood increase the absorption of non-heme iron?

    DrC PhD

  12. "ta" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins'
    claim is true.
    2. Has anyone personally either failed or succeeded in recovering from
    mercury toxicity on a veg*n diet?


    I don't know myself, but you might check this new research service that can
    find out stuff like this at http://www.infomedicine.org

    Bob

    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.