Touring and recreational cycling · Public discussion

Mendocino CR 431 "Usal rd."

Started by Robi Pochapin · · Last activity · 7 posts · 2,564 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Touring and recreational cycling
Published
28 December 2004
Last activity
18 February 2011
Original author
Robi Pochapin
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,564
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for info on this road to ride as a detour on a short coast tour. I've got a touring MTB. I suppose that it may be too muddy in winter, but has anyone ridden this road from Shelter Cove to HW 1?

    Thanks

  2. I've driven this road several times, and consider it one of the most beautiful roads in North America.

    But the earliest in the season I've ever gotten through was in May. October-May, it's a road to nowhere, washouts and fallen trees, about 40 miles of deserted, fog-shrouded, dense forest. Plus about 10 miles of the most spectacular hair-raising drop-offs into the Pacific.

    I wouldn't do it on a bike, except maybe in August, with someone behind me carrying 100 gallons of water. There's nothing for that whole stretch of road, no cabins, no water, no food, not even an occasional car going by. Even in summer, the dust swallows the car up to the hubcaps; in winter it would be hub-swallowing mud.

    And steep. Several climbs to 2000 feet or more. In fact, the paved road from Shelter Cove due east to Hwy 1 is possibly the steepest paved road in the state. My God, to do that on a bike.......

    Only someone on an expedition would do it on a MTB. It would be the story of your life. Just be prepared.

    -- Mark

  3. Thanks Mark.

    I went to shelter cove for New Years (with out bikes). I was glad to have scouted it a bit. Yes the Shelter Cove road from the 101 to the coast is a steep one, it would justify a triple with out a touring rig even. I think that Mix canyon in Solano county is steeper though.

    Are you sure there is no water on the Usal?

    Thanks again

  4. A few more details:
    I make a point of driving this road every couple years or so, including the stretch north through Honeydew, Petrolia, and Capetown, into Ferndale. Together with Usal Rd., I consider this drive to be one of the most beautiful in North America.

    The last time I did it was 3 years ago at the end of summer. It takes the most part of a day to drive it -- but that's with lotsa stops to soak in the wild beauty. Only the stretch between Honeydew and Ferndale is paved, but it's deserted and desolate, exposed to south winds and storms, and -- yes -- STEEP to get over the coast range. But what wild beaches and magnificent views...

    The whole length from Ferndale to the southern tip of Usal Rd is about 120 miles, give or take a couple dozen. Except for the paved part through Petrolia, it's slow going, even in a car. On a bike, it would take days. If you're fully prepared for this kind of expedition, it shouldn't be a problem: full camping gear, foul-weather gear, water purification gear, spare parts, enough food, etc. Petrolia is isolated, but a nice-sized town, and has a couple stores. If I remember, Honeydew might have a tavern or someplace you can get food in an emergency. Other than that, it's untouched wilderness. At least half the total distance is along ridges in dense forest (ya gotta climb up to them, y'know...) with no views; the other half plunges up and down into rugged canyons or along precipitous cliffs. You might see why I classify it as a pretty drive.

    The northern half of Usal Rd is basically twisty climbs and boring ridges. The southern half hugs the coastline. Both parts cross several streams or streamlets -- you could get water there if you have purification gear. But forget about finding food anywhere, unless you're a survivalist.

    This stretch of road would make a logical extension of Hwy 1, and I'm sure California at one time intended it to be. But it would be a nightmare to maintain. Until May or June, the road is always closed (the times I've checked) because of winter damage.

    Check out some topo maps of this area if you're curious about the number of climbs over the Coast Range ridges. If you don't have a topo program go to topozone.comtopozone.com . You don't have to register -- just click "View Maps" at the top, and type in 'Shelter Cove, CA'. 1:100,000 scale seems best for this area. That'll get you started.

    -- Mark

  5. Hi Robi, I'm wondering the same thing. Did you ever ride it?

    EmmCeeBee, I am seriously considering riding this trail or "road" next week on my bicycle. Usal road. How often are there streams? Looking at the topo it appears that it is on a ridge most of the way and eventually crosses a river towards the end. I'm guessing that means there is no water until then?

    I also will likely be alone. I'm guessing I would average 5 mph and it is about 30 miles from Shelter Cove to Highway 1 on Usal road so that means about 6 hours of riding to get to highway 1. What do you think? What do you recommend I bring? I'm planning on bringing water purification, spare tire, spare tubes, tools, tape, rope, spot gps finder (SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE). I figure worst case if I break down I can walk out to either Shelter Cove or Highway 1. It would not be fun but I've hiked that far before.

    Are the photos here an accurate representation of the road in late June early July?
    The Battle for Usal Road (anatomy of a trip) - ADVrider
    Usal Rd (Lost Coast), California. Dry enough for end of May? - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

  6. I rode this on my mt. bike in Feb. 2010. A long, grueling ride but great. Lots of puddles and mud but we were able to stay relatively dry. Pretty easy to follow as there are road mileage markers along the way. We started at the North end near Shelter Cove but had my wife drop us at the intersection of Chemise Mountain Road/Usal Road and Briceland Road. From there is was 24.5 miles and about 4.5 hours. There is no water, no nothing out there. I wouldn't recommend it by yourself in case of injury emergency. The last climb at mile 19 is about 1,000 feet and will hurt unless you are a very strong rider...but it is the most beautiful part of the ride. Have fun, be safe!
    connect.garmin.com24789351

  7. sweet! I was thinking about riding it in june or july when it is dry but doing it on a road bike with big tires. What do you think? I was thinking I might need to walk parts of it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.