In article <[email hidden]>,
jay said:Thanks for the information on the slow beef. I was tempted to do the Beef
Bourgiunon (bourguignonne/bourguignon) that was posted yesterday. It
sounded pretty good. I have never had much luck with the crock pot.
Everything I have tried to cook in it turned out..well I guess I should
say didn't turn out all that good. Most of the ingredients were not
even recognizable after 8 hours of melt down. I did get a batch of dry
pintos out of it once that were decent and the beans still looked sorta
like beans. Will try it for oats. BTW.. how did the liner work out..I
mean were you able to get that thing on all by yourself or did you have to
have some help? 😉
I generally don't like meat cooked to death in a crock pot, but I
have a pot roast recipe I make in it that is wonderful. It is much
better to do the same kind of prep as you would on a stove, such as
browning the meat.
Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking
2 carrots, peeled and cut in half width wise (I used 4 and quartered
them)
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 4 wedges
3 cloves garlic, smashed (I use 4)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large bay leaf
3 whole cloves or allspice berries (we used cloves)
1 cup homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine (they recommended Sauvignon Blanc, I used Pinot
Grigio)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 1/2-3 lbs)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brandy
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (I used about 4 times this amount)
1/2 teaspoon grainy prepared mustard (again, 4 times this)
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely minced flat leaf parsley
Put carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and cloves or allspice in
the bottom of a slow cooker. In measuring cup or bowl, whisk together
the broth, wine and tomato paste to blend.
Set large heavy based skillet over medium high heat. Pat roast dry,
rub with olive oil, salt and pepper all over. Sear roast in skillet
until a dark crust forms on one side, 3-5 minutes, turn and sear other
side. Reduce heat to medium and put roast on top of vegetables in the
crock. Add broth mixture to skillet, bring to boil and scrape the
bottom to loosen any browned bits. Pour the liquid over the roast and
cover the crock, don't stir. Turn the slow cooker to low, cook gently
without lifting the lid until the roast is fall apart tender, 8-10 hours
(I did this for 8 hours).
Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Strain
contents of crock through a sieve set over a medium sauce pan (I used
the same skillet from before). Discard the solids (I disagree with this
and saved the carrots, onion and garlic to serve with the meat). Skim
fat from the top of the strained liquid. Bring to boil and simmer
rapidly until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the brandy,
horseradish and mustard. In a small bowl, mix the flour into the sour
cream, stir in a few tablespoons of the sauce, then pour the sour cream
mixture into the sauce, whisking vigorously to blend. Cook over medium
heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
Meanwhile, slice the roast thinly. Serve with the gravy and a
sprinkling of parsley.
I like to serve this with either mashed potatoes or egg noodles and a
salad along with the veggies from the pot.
Regards,
Ranee
Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/