General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Mayonnaise and wooden spoons

Started by Brian Christiansen · · Last activity · 10 posts · 703 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 April 2006
Last activity
14 April 2006
Original author
Brian Christiansen
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
703
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I read once that "mayonnaise purists" insist on wooden spoons instead of
    whisks or food processors which are probably much more commonly used than
    wooden spoons for making mayonnaise among the relative few who still make
    mayonnaise (I only make mayonnaise once in a while). The site
    http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/02/will-real-mayonnaise-please.html also
    kinda indicates this as well (at least the person writing it seems to
    believe so).

    Why? It seems to me that unless mayonnaise made with a wooden spoon is
    either better (either in flavor or consistency), or if a wooden spoon forms
    the emulsion faster than either a whisk or a food processor, or if a wooden
    spoon forms a more stable emulsion, I really don't see how a wooden spoon
    can lay claim to being a better tool for making mayonnaise.

    If all you have is a wooden spoon, then it is obviously a better tool. If
    whisks cost $200,000, then the wooden spoon is the better tool, but last
    time I was at the store, they were out of the solid gold ones with the jewel
    encrusted handles, and the regular whisks were just a few dollars. If you
    were to buy a food processor for just making mayonnaise, that is probably a
    bit pricey for that particular unitasker (unless you have a business that
    sells homemade mayo).

    Well, anyway, after all that blather, my question is, why is a wooden spoon
    a better tool for making mayonnaise? Or is it just an attempt to hold on to
    a "tradition."

    Brian Christiansen

  2. Brian Christiansen said:

    Well, anyway, after all that blather, my question is, why is a wooden spoon
    a better tool for making mayonnaise? Or is it just an attempt to hold on to
    a "tradition."

    Brian Christiansen

    Probably just tradition. My mother used to make mayo with a wooden
    spoon but I use a food processor and get a longer lasting result
    because the emulsifying effect is stronger, also it takes a lot less
    time and I've never had one break.

  3. Brian Christiansen said:

    Well, anyway, after all that blather, my question is, why is a wooden spoon
    a better tool for making mayonnaise? Or is it just an attempt to hold on to
    a "tradition."

    I dunno, never heard that theory myself.... you don't even have a cite
    for it?
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  4. Quoted message said:

    I dunno, never heard that theory myself.... you don't even have a cite
    for it?


    In the cookbook "The New Basics" by Rosso/Lukins, there is the following
    sentence: "Traditionalists rarely use a whisk, mixer, or food processor,
    using instead either a fork or a wooden spoon," but there is no indication
    as to why. Are they better tools (rosso/lukins seem to believe the food
    processor is the better tool because all their recipes for mayonnaise use
    one) or just an attempt to hold on to a "tradition.

    Brian Christiansen

  5. Brian Christiansen said:
    Quoted message said:

    I dunno, never heard that theory myself.... you don't even have a cite
    for it?


    In the cookbook "The New Basics" by Rosso/Lukins, there is the following
    sentence: "Traditionalists rarely use a whisk, mixer, or food processor,
    using instead either a fork or a wooden spoon," but there is no indication
    as to why. Are they better tools (rosso/lukins seem to believe the food
    processor is the better tool because all their recipes for mayonnaise use
    one) or just an attempt to hold on to a "tradition.


    Thanks, I vote "tradition".... I can understand using a fork (they had
    to get the whisk idea from somewhere), but a wooden spoon seems like
    an awful lot of work to me. I use mechanical devices for that job.

    🙂
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  6. Brian Christiansen said:

    I read once that "mayonnaise purists" insist on wooden spoons instead of
    whisks or food processors which are probably much more commonly used than
    wooden spoons for making mayonnaise among the relative few who still make
    mayonnaise (I only make mayonnaise once in a while). The site
    http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/02/will-real-mayonnaise-please.html also
    kinda indicates this as well (at least the person writing it seems to
    believe so).

    Why? [snip]

    Doesn't matter. The stick/wand blender does such a magical job all
    history and tradition has to give way. -aem

  7. "Brian Christiansen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I dunno, never heard that theory myself.... you don't even have a cite
    for it?


    In the cookbook "The New Basics" by Rosso/Lukins, there is the following
    sentence: "Traditionalists rarely use a whisk, mixer, or food processor,
    using instead either a fork or a wooden spoon," but there is no indication
    as to why. Are they better tools (rosso/lukins seem to believe the food
    processor is the better tool because all their recipes for mayonnaise use
    one) or just an attempt to hold on to a "tradition.

    Brian Christiansen

    I think the key word is "traditionalists." They do it that way because that
    was the way grandma did.

    Donna

  8. Brian Christiansen said:

    I read once that "mayonnaise purists" insist on wooden spoons instead of
    whisks or food processors which are probably much more commonly used than
    wooden spoons for making mayonnaise among the relative few who still make
    mayonnaise (I only make mayonnaise once in a while). The site
    http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/02/will-real-mayonnaise-please.html also
    kinda indicates this as well (at least the person writing it seems to
    believe so).

    <snip>

    speaking of mayo, when y'all make it, do you use pasteurized eggs or non?
    i use non pasteurized. some of my friends refuse to eat it for that reason.
    i wonder why rocky never died from drinking raw eggs?

  9. AC said:


    speaking of mayo, when y'all make it, do you use pasteurized eggs or non?
    i use non pasteurized. some of my friends refuse to eat it for that reason.
    i wonder why rocky never died from drinking raw eggs?

    I use non, but then I've eaten raw eggs all my life so probably have
    immunity to whatever nasties they may contain. Not sure I've ever seen
    pasteurised eggs.

  10. AC said:
    Brian Christiansen said:

    I read once that "mayonnaise purists" insist on wooden spoons instead of
    whisks or food processors which are probably much more commonly used than
    wooden spoons for making mayonnaise among the relative few who still make
    mayonnaise (I only make mayonnaise once in a while). The site
    http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/02/will-real-mayonnaise-please.html also
    kinda indicates this as well (at least the person writing it seems to
    believe so).

    <snip>

    speaking of mayo, when y'all make it, do you use pasteurized eggs or non?
    i use non pasteurized. some of my friends refuse to eat it for that reason.

    The low pH and low water activity kill bacteria. Mayo is bacteriostatic.
    That's why it can sit on the room-temp shelf in the grocery stores with
    no preservative processing.

    Quoted message said:

    i wonder why rocky never died from drinking raw eggs?

    He did. That's why there were only 27 Rocky movies (or so it seemed).

    Pastorio

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.