Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mavic rim tick-tick-tick

Started by Dan · · Last activity · 34 posts · 1,888 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 October 2006
Last activity
30 October 2006
Original author
Dan
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,888
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. * * Chas said:

    I've used it for stretching new sewups.

    New sewups? Didn't know they still made those archaic tires.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Cox said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Dan said:

    I know from this NG that this is not uncommon but what is the best fix?
    It is driving me nuts.

    Steady tick----tick----tick in the rear when pedaling or coasting.
    Sometimes a tick-rick---tick-rick---tick-rick. If I move my weight
    forward over the front wheel it stops and then returns when I sit back.
    Open Pro rim, Centaur 9sp hub, 1.7mm DB spokes, alloy nipples w/
    eyelets. I laced this rim onto the old spokes when the old rim was
    damaged about 4 years ago. Probably close to 10,000 miles on the rim and
    a couple crashes.

    Any suggestions?

    one of two things...or both...

    noise between the nipp and eyelet-drops of lindseed oil between nipp
    and eyelet..or wedge that holds the rim together for welding has come
    loose..noise only. A punch in the channel where the rim strip is or
    drill a wee hole and a bit of glue in there.


    I had this on an open pro after just over a year of use. I tried both
    approaches and neither worked. I ended up having to replace the rim. Now
    I have the same problem on a cxp33. Luckily at the moment it just
    rattles at low speed. Its really put me off mavic rims. Which is a shame
    as its difficult to get wheels built with other brands & I dont build my
    own.

    Stan Cox

    P.s. Before you mention velocity rims I am British & have never seen a
    pair over here

    Then you can readily obtain Ambrosio rims.

    --
    Michael Press

  3. Quoted message said:

    I still have a Fiamme Yellow rim in almost new condition. After I dented
    the rear rim I decide that at 175 Lbs. I weighed too much to ride them.
    They were only 260 gm or something like that right?

    I believe they actually weighed around 290 grams or so. Dentable as they
    were, they didn't seem to fail in a destructive manner, and they were a lot
    tougher than the Martano rims that some thought to be the
    coolest-thing-ever.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "* * Chas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This has been a problem with all rims (even in the days of Fiamme
    tubular rims) with non-stainless eyelets on which spoke nipples


    bear.

    Quoted message said:


    It was never a problem for me with Fiamme Yellows (Ergals), since


    they'd get

    Quoted message said:

    dented long before they got a chance to get noisy. Thankfully they


    were

    Quoted message said:

    relatively cheap, Robergel Sport spokes were cheap (but ugly), and I


    could

    Quoted message said:

    build wheels fast.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    I still have a Fiamme Yellow rim in almost new condition. After I dented
    the rear rim I decide that at 175 Lbs. I weighed too much to ride them.
    They were only 260 gm or something like that right?

    I've used it for stretching new sewups.

    Chas.

  4. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I still have a Fiamme Yellow rim in almost new condition. After I


    dented

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the rear rim I decide that at 175 Lbs. I weighed too much to ride


    them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They were only 260 gm or something like that right?

    I believe they actually weighed around 290 grams or so. Dentable as


    they

    Quoted message said:

    were, they didn't seem to fail in a destructive manner, and they were


    a lot

    Quoted message said:

    tougher than the Martano rims that some thought to be the
    coolest-thing-ever.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    My favorites where/are Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims. I still have a
    set of these private labeled for Milremo the former French mega
    distributor.

    I have to finish removing the old rim cement and I'm ready to start
    riding sewups again on my old retro-grouch bikes.

    Chas.

  5. Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Cox said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Dan wrote:
    > I know from this NG that this is not uncommon but what is the best fix?


    <snip>

    x

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    P.s. Before you mention velocity rims I am British & have never seen a
    pair over here

    Then you can readily obtain Ambrosio rims.

    I dont know about readily. Ambrosio products seem to be getting harder
    to find although they can still be if you hunt around a bit. Most places
    seem to have gone almost completely over to boutique wheels. <sarcasm>I
    really want 16 spokes on a winter training wheel </sarcasm>

    Stan Cox

  6. "Stan Cox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Cox said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> I know from this NG that this is not uncommon but what is the


    best fix?

    Quoted message said:

    <snip>

    x

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    P.s. Before you mention velocity rims I am British & have never


    seen a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pair over here

    Then you can readily obtain Ambrosio rims.

    I dont know about readily. Ambrosio products seem to be getting harder
    to find although they can still be if you hunt around a bit. Most


    places

    Quoted message said:

    seem to have gone almost completely over to boutique wheels.


    <sarcasm>I

    Quoted message said:

    really want 16 spokes on a winter training wheel </sarcasm>

    Stan Cox

    What's the difference between summer and winter in Blighty, it rains
    less??? ;-)

    Chas.

  7. Quoted message said:
    Dianne who? said:
    Quoted message said:

    I guess I don't really know what the wedge is but I am picturing a
    flat bar just under the channel where the rim tape goes.

    Quoted message said:

    That's basically it. Here's a drawing of one rim wedge:

    Quoted message said:

    http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=US6048035&F=0

    To bad that drawing did not include sockets and eyelets. Other than
    that, it is beautifully descriptive of a reasonable rim, a MAVIC MA-2.

    That patent was filed in 1998; when did Mavic discontinue the MA-2?

    Pat
    (Who says the patent office has clearly lost its mind.)

  8. Pat Lamb said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I guess I don't really know what the wedge is but I am picturing
    > a flat bar just under the channel where the rim tape goes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's basically it. Here's a drawing of one rim wedge:

    http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=US6048035&F=0

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    To bad that drawing did not include sockets and eyelets. Other
    than that, it is beautifully descriptive of a reasonable rim, a
    MAVIC MA-2.

    Quoted message said:

    That patent was filed in 1998; when did Mavic discontinue the MA-2?

    Patent! You can't patent that rim cross section nor that the joint be
    aligned with an internal sleeve. Rims have been made that way as long
    as extruded aluminum has been around. besides, welded joint rims are
    nearly equally old. The MA-2, also the Gentleman rim were around more
    than 50 years ago.

    Quoted message said:

    (Who says the patent office has clearly lost its mind.)

    Well not only that, they also have no patent Google that can search
    for previous and expired patents. That's why Rolf Dietrich was
    granted a patent on Lovelace's 1890 invention of the paired spoke
    wheel... which of course is invalid due to "prior art". See page 157
    "King of the Road" by Andrew Ritchey.

    Jobst Brandt

  9. Quoted message said:

    My favorites where/are Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims. I still have a
    set of these private labeled for Milremo the former French mega
    distributor.

    Sigh. I'd kill to find one of my old Ron Kitching (is that right?)
    catalog... the one with the great descriptions of the Cinelli A & B models,
    all manner of TA stuff, oh heck, just about EVERYTHING that was bicycling at
    the time.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "* * Chas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I still have a Fiamme Yellow rim in almost new condition. After I


    dented

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the rear rim I decide that at 175 Lbs. I weighed too much to ride


    them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    They were only 260 gm or something like that right?

    I believe they actually weighed around 290 grams or so. Dentable as


    they

    Quoted message said:

    were, they didn't seem to fail in a destructive manner, and they were


    a lot

    Quoted message said:

    tougher than the Martano rims that some thought to be the
    coolest-thing-ever.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    My favorites where/are Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims. I still have a
    set of these private labeled for Milremo the former French mega
    distributor.

    I have to finish removing the old rim cement and I'm ready to start
    riding sewups again on my old retro-grouch bikes.

    Chas.

  10. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    Sigh. I'd kill to find one of my old Ron Kitching (is that right?)
    catalog... the one with the great descriptions of the Cinelli A & B models,
    all manner of TA stuff, oh heck, just about EVERYTHING that was bicycling at
    the time.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky

    Dear Mike,

    Check your email.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  11. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My favorites where/are Super Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims. I still have


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    set of these private labeled for Milremo the former French mega
    distributor.

    Sigh. I'd kill to find one of my old Ron Kitching (is that right?)
    catalog... the one with the great descriptions of the Cinelli A & B


    models,

    Quoted message said:

    all manner of TA stuff, oh heck, just about EVERYTHING that was


    bicycling at

    Quoted message said:

    the time.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Milremo was mostly French made equipment that was distributed by Andre
    Bertin on the continent and Ron Kitching in the UK. We used to import
    Milremo components in the 70's. I cut up a number of those old catalogs
    and other classics for doing cut-and-paste layouts for our advertising
    flyers in the pre desktop publishing era. The Daniel Rebour
    illustrations were great.

    BTW, I live over in the East Bay. I'm going to have to stop by your shop
    and check it out.

    Chas.

  12. G.T. said:
    * * Chas said:

    I've used it for stretching new sewups.

    New sewups? Didn't know they still made those archaic tires.

    Greg

    Pretty funny..there are more sewups being made today than in the last
    decade. 2 new models from Conti, one from Vittoria..carbon rims, most
    of which are tubie, plus the very high price of carbon clinchers, mean
    there are lots of tubies. After tubeless tires on road bikes come and
    go, tubulars will still be around.

  13. Stan Cox said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Cox said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> I know from this NG that this is not uncommon but what is the best fix?


    <snip>

    x

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    P.s. Before you mention velocity rims I am British & have never seen a
    pair over here

    have yer bike shop call the guys at Velocity USA, the US distributor..I
    am sure that you can ship over the pond...read about it, it was in all
    the papaers.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Then you can readily obtain Ambrosio rims.

    I dont know about readily. Ambrosio products seem to be getting harder
    to find although they can still be if you hunt around a bit. Most places
    seem to have gone almost completely over to boutique wheels. <sarcasm>I
    really want 16 spokes on a winter training wheel </sarcasm>

    Stan Cox

  14. * * Chas said:


    What's the difference between summer and winter in Blighty, it rains
    less??? ;-)

    Warmer rain.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    --
    Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
    ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------
    Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.