Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Maveric-Style Sus: Anybody actually riding one?

Started by PeteCresswell · · Last activity · 22 posts · 918 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
26 April 2004
Last activity
28 April 2004
Original author
PeteCresswell
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
918
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm wondering how the rear bob compares to, say, a pivot-arm sus like
    Ellsworth's ISIS.

  2. PeteCresswell said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares to, say, a pivot-arm sus like
    Ellsworth's ISIS.

    Ain't none!
    No, seriously. I've riden my Palomino for a year plus, and I don't
    notice it. Never did. On the few test rides I did before getting it
    (Sugar, a friends GT, couple others) it was obvious. Not claiming its
    the best suspension or anything, but I've liked it.

    Shawn

  3. Shawn Curry <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    PeteCresswell said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares to, say, a pivot-arm sus like
    Ellsworth's ISIS.

    Ain't none!
    No, seriously. I've riden my Palomino for a year plus, and I don't
    notice it. Never did. On the few test rides I did before getting it
    (Sugar, a friends GT, couple others) it was obvious. Not claiming its
    the best suspension or anything, but I've liked it.

    I'd just like to second this. I wuv my Palomino and I've never noticed any
    bob.

    --
    - Joel C.

  4. "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago. He
    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

  5. TM said:

    "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago. He
    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

    Agreed. Can't say that that's so much a Maverick feature though. Most
    suspensions are going to help some. I know the Maverick line on there
    suspension is that rear-and-up wheel path helps.

    Shawn

  6. TM said:

    "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago. He
    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

  7. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    He didn't say, hence the FWIW.

    It seems to me that you might disagree with his observation for one or both
    of those situations. Why?

  8. G.T. said:


    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    How about horizontal?

    ;-)
    --dt

  9. "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    He didn't say, hence the FWIW.

    It seems to me that you might disagree with his observation for one or


    both

    Quoted message said:

    of those situations. Why?

    Would you like me to limit my analysis to just the URT aspect of the
    Maverick?

    Greg

  10. G.T. said:
    TM said:

    "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks
    ago. He
    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    My experience is; Noticably better than a hardtail in both
    circumstances. I won't say relative to other FS designs since I don't
    have that experience. this isn't an Mtbr review after all.
    ;-)

    Shawn

  11. G.T. said:

    "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    He didn't say, hence the FWIW.

    It seems to me that you might disagree with his observation for one or

    both

    Quoted message said:

    of those situations. Why?

    Would you like me to limit my analysis to just the URT aspect of the
    Maverick?

    Greg

    Is your analysis based on having ridden a Maverick design and enough
    other FS bikes to the extent that you can differentiate the URT aspect
    from all the other variables? If so, go for it. Otherwise I don't
    think it would contribute to the discussion.

    Shawn

  12. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    TM said:

    "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago. He
    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    Both. I've watched the Angry Man ride his Palomino in all kinds of
    conditions. That said though, the Palomino didn't even last a year
    under him. He cracked the gusset at the seat tube/bottom bracket.

    JD

  13. G.T. said:

    Would you like me to limit my analysis to just the URT aspect of the
    Maverick?

    Go for it.

  14. JD said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    TM said:

    "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago. He
    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    Both. I've watched the Angry Man ride his Palomino in all kinds of
    conditions. That said though, the Palomino didn't even last a year
    under him. He cracked the gusset at the seat tube/bottom bracket.

    JD

    It is a Trek after all.

    Shawn

  15. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    TM said:

    "PeteCresswell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >I'm wondering how the rear bob compares

    A friend of mine has one and I asked him about it a couple of weeks


    ago. He

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    did not feel bob was an issue and commented that he really felt the
    suspension design helped him 'hook up' on climbs. FWIW

    "hook up" standing or sitting?

    Greg

    Both. I've watched the Angry Man ride his Palomino in all kinds of
    conditions.

    I think Angry Man is an absolutely incredible rider and I think his skills
    hide the flaws of the Palomino.

    Quoted message said:

    That said though, the Palomino didn't even last a year
    under him. He cracked the gusset at the seat tube/bottom bracket.

    And I'm not even considering engineering or workmanship.

    Greg

  16. "Shawn Curry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    G.T. said:

    "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >"hook up" standing or sitting?
    >
    >Greg

    He didn't say, hence the FWIW.

    It seems to me that you might disagree with his observation for one or

    both

    Quoted message said:

    of those situations. Why?

    Would you like me to limit my analysis to just the URT aspect of the
    Maverick?

    Greg

    Is your analysis based on having ridden a Maverick design and enough
    other FS bikes to the extent that you can differentiate the URT aspect
    from all the other variables? If so, go for it. Otherwise I don't
    think it would contribute to the discussion.

    I've ridden, let me see, 4 different FS designs extensively (original
    Manitou FS, GT STS, DBR 4-bar, 5 Spot rocker arm), 3 others to a moderate
    extent (i-Drive, Schwinn Homegrown, high single-pivot Weyless), and 3 types
    for long tests including the first Trek FS (with the elastomer shock and
    ultra-high pivot, forget the model), the first Trek Y-bike when it came out,
    and a Maverick.

    I'll just keep to the "hook up" aspect since my other analyses on a.m-b have
    covered other stuff. Nothing compares to a low-pivot standard FS whether
    it's a 4 bar or the old school double-shocked Manitou when it comes to
    hooking up whether standing or sitting. The Y-bike was the worst of the
    lot.

    To get back to Pete's original question I was unhappy with that guy named
    Bob until I got my 5 Spot. It's stable enough even standing that I am no
    longer in pursuit of any anti-Bob personnel.

    Greg

  17. G.T. said:

    "Shawn Curry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    G.T. said:

    "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >"G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >
    >>"hook up" standing or sitting?
    >>
    >>Greg
    >
    >He didn't say, hence the FWIW.
    >
    >It seems to me that you might disagree with his observation for one or

    both

    >of those situations. Why?
    >

    Would you like me to limit my analysis to just the URT aspect of the
    Maverick?

    Greg

    Is your analysis based on having ridden a Maverick design and enough
    other FS bikes to the extent that you can differentiate the URT aspect
    from all the other variables? If so, go for it. Otherwise I don't
    think it would contribute to the discussion.

    I've ridden, let me see, 4 different FS designs extensively (original
    Manitou FS, GT STS, DBR 4-bar, 5 Spot rocker arm), 3 others to a moderate
    extent (i-Drive, Schwinn Homegrown, high single-pivot Weyless), and 3 types
    for long tests including the first Trek FS (with the elastomer shock and
    ultra-high pivot, forget the model), the first Trek Y-bike when it came out,
    and a Maverick.

    I'll just keep to the "hook up" aspect since my other analyses on a.m-b have
    covered other stuff. Nothing compares to a low-pivot standard FS whether
    it's a 4 bar or the old school double-shocked Manitou when it comes to
    hooking up whether standing or sitting. The Y-bike was the worst of the
    lot.

    To get back to Pete's original question I was unhappy with that guy named
    Bob until I got my 5 Spot. It's stable enough even standing that I am no
    longer in pursuit of any anti-Bob personnel.

    Greg


    I think that's "contributing to the discussion"
    :-)
    Re the OP: On my ride today, about 1000 feet of climbing on smooth dirt
    and single track in and out of the saddle, about a mile of roller
    coaster fire road, and a single track descent, I was really trying to
    determine if the suspension moved with the pedals. Just didn't feel or
    see it. BTW the frame is only a couple months old, being a warranty for
    the original. That's another story

    Shawn

  18. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    To get back to Pete's original question I was unhappy with that guy named
    Bob until I got my 5 Spot. It's stable enough even standing that I am no
    longer in pursuit of any anti-Bob personnel.

    I hear you loud and clear for the 5 Spot, but if that is not an option for
    him, what is the next best thing? I guess I am asking that since you have
    ridden other similar suspension designs and weren't as satisfied with them
    as you are the 5 Spot, what separates it from the pack for you?

  19. TM said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    To get back to Pete's original question I was unhappy with that guy named
    Bob until I got my 5 Spot. It's stable enough even standing that I am no
    longer in pursuit of any anti-Bob personnel.

    I hear you loud and clear for the 5 Spot, but if that is not an option for
    him, what is the next best thing?

    I'm an advocate of basic 4 bar or rocker arm FSes. I'd actually get that
    Ventana X5 trail bike at this point, much lower standover height than my 5
    Spot, but it appears to not have a water bottle mount on the downtube.
    That's actually a big reason I got my Turner, it's hot out and the more
    liquids the better. I also prefer non-interrupted seat tube bikes because
    I can drop my seat further.

    Quoted message said:

    I guess I am asking that since you have
    ridden other similar suspension designs and weren't as satisfied with them
    as you are the 5 Spot, what separates it from the pack for you?

    I like that it works well everywhere and with a Romic shock (or other
    similar shock) it has minimal bob.

    Greg

  20. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm an advocate of basic 4 bar or rocker arm FSes.

    That might be a small understatement!

    Quoted message said:

    I like that it works well everywhere and with a Romic shock (or other
    similar shock) it has minimal bob.

    Those are solid reasons to like it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.