General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Massage Reduces DOMS

Started by JMW · · Last activity · 31 posts · 766 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 December 2005
Last activity
31 December 2005
Original author
JMW
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
766
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. JMW said:

    Bill Davidson is alleged to have a new IP address, but I won't add
    that one until it's confirmed by further trolling on his part.

    Bully for you, dipshit. Oh, btw, it *has* been confirmed that you're a
    boring dullard.

    I THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW!

    --

  2. Curt James said:
    JMW said:

    Bill Davidson is alleged to have a new IP address, but I won't add
    that one until it's confirmed by further trolling on his part.

    Bully for you, dipshit. Oh, btw, it *has* been confirmed that you're a
    boring dullard.

    I THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW!

    If you're capable of discussing any other topic, what do YOU think about
    the benefits of massage, Curt?

    Dally

  3. Dally said:

    If you're capable of discussing any other topic, what do YOU think about
    the benefits of massage, Curt?

    <two-year-old>

    "He started it."

    </two-year-old>

    Massage is wonderfu in generall. I have _Massage Basics_ by Davide
    Sechi on my bookshelf. I have suffered from DOMS from cross country
    running as well as from weight training, however I've never battled
    muscle soreness with massage. A hot shower and rest has always worked
    for me, but certainly - it seems obvious - massage would make sore
    muscles feel better.

    --

  4. aeioufu said:


    JMW said:

    A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    eccentric resistance training:

    [1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);
    [2] Significantly reduces plamsa creatine kinase (CK) levels; and
    [3] Significantly reduces inflammatory response (swelling).

    No significant difference in recovery time, though. It just makes it
    hurt less in the meantime.

    Zainuddin Z, Newton M, Sacco P, Nosaka K. Effects of massage on
    delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle
    function. J Athl Train. 2005 Jul;40(3):174-80.

    Just thought I'd share that with you.

    Please stop sharing. Please just repost the troll faq.

    Thanks

    http://www.fitnwell.net/mfw_troll_filter_faq.htm

    HTH!

  5. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:57:42 -0500, JMW <[email hidden]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:

    A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    eccentric resistance training:

    [1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);
    [2] Significantly reduces plamsa creatine kinase (CK) levels; and
    [3] Significantly reduces inflammatory response (swelling).

    No significant difference in recovery time, though. It just makes it
    hurt less in the meantime.

    Zainuddin Z, Newton M, Sacco P, Nosaka K. Effects of massage on
    delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle
    function. J Athl Train. 2005 Jul;40(3):174-80.

    Just thought I'd share that with you.

    I got a Dr. Scholl's Full Cushion massager for Christmas that I'm
    trying out as I type this. My hamstrings are sore from the 5 sets of
    5 back squats I did on Monday. That was the first time I had done
    that in quite a while so I guess it is to be expected.

    The massager is shaped like a car seat cover and has 4 sets of
    massaging heads as well as a heating element. It also comes with a
    12V cigarette lighter plug but I don't know if it would be a good
    thing to use while driving. I could see myself dozing off at the
    wheel.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JMW said:

    A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    eccentric resistance training:

    [1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);

    Interesting. That makes two things.

    The other is a lesser workout (I use 50% weights, and fewer reps) the
    next day. That works very well against the DOMS I get when I start
    lifting after too long a layoff. (That's basically the only time I
    get DOMS so I don't know how well it would work other times.)

    Seth
    --
    "Bryce was not serious." -- Bryce Lane

  7. John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:57:42 -0500, JMW <[email hidden]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:

    A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    eccentric resistance training:

    [1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);
    [2] Significantly reduces plamsa creatine kinase (CK) levels; and
    [3] Significantly reduces inflammatory response (swelling).

    No significant difference in recovery time, though. It just makes it
    hurt less in the meantime.

    Zainuddin Z, Newton M, Sacco P, Nosaka K. Effects of massage on
    delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle
    function. J Athl Train. 2005 Jul;40(3):174-80.

    Just thought I'd share that with you.

    I got a Dr. Scholl's Full Cushion massager for Christmas that I'm
    trying out as I type this. My hamstrings are sore from the 5 sets of
    5 back squats I did on Monday. That was the first time I had done
    that in quite a while so I guess it is to be expected.

    The massager is shaped like a car seat cover and has 4 sets of
    massaging heads as well as a heating element. It also comes with a
    12V cigarette lighter plug but I don't know if it would be a good
    thing to use while driving. I could see myself dozing off at the
    wheel.

    Sounds sweet. But what have you been doing for a routine, that 5x5 squats
    are making you sore?

    Hugh

    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi"😉

  8. John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:53:47 GMT, Hugh Beyer <[email hidden]>
    wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:

    John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:57:42 -0500, JMW <[email hidden]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    >indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    >eccentric resistance training:
    >
    >[1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);
    >[2] Significantly reduces plamsa creatine kinase (CK) levels; and
    >[3] Significantly reduces inflammatory response (swelling).
    >
    >No significant difference in recovery time, though. It just makes it
    >hurt less in the meantime.
    >
    >Zainuddin Z, Newton M, Sacco P, Nosaka K. Effects of massage on
    >delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle
    >function. J Athl Train. 2005 Jul;40(3):174-80.
    >
    >Just thought I'd share that with you.

    I got a Dr. Scholl's Full Cushion massager for Christmas that I'm
    trying out as I type this. My hamstrings are sore from the 5 sets of
    5 back squats I did on Monday. That was the first time I had done
    that in quite a while so I guess it is to be expected.

    The massager is shaped like a car seat cover and has 4 sets of
    massaging heads as well as a heating element. It also comes with a
    12V cigarette lighter plug but I don't know if it would be a good
    thing to use while driving. I could see myself dozing off at the
    wheel.

    Sounds sweet. But what have you been doing for a routine, that 5x5
    squats are making you sore?

    I'm not sure what you mean. I just started back with back squats a
    few weeks ago. Monday I did 5X5 at 285 (ATG and within less than 15
    minutes I completed all my sets...I was dripping sweat like a French
    [censored]) for the first time in a while. I've only back squatted a few
    times since August. I finished my Russian front squat routine more
    than a month ago so I haven't been doing a lot of squatting of any
    type in the meantime which is the cause of the soreness.

    I haven't been following... missed the whole Russian front squat routine
    thing. I have you pegged as a powerlifter, so why the front squats?

    Hugh

    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi"😉

  9. On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:01:17 GMT, Hugh Beyer <[email hidden]>
    wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:

    John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:53:47 GMT, Hugh Beyer <[email hidden]>
    wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:

    John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:57:42 -0500, JMW <[email hidden]> wrote in
    > misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    >>A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    >>indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    >>eccentric resistance training:
    >>
    >>[1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);
    >>[2] Significantly reduces plamsa creatine kinase (CK) levels; and
    >>[3] Significantly reduces inflammatory response (swelling).
    >>
    >>No significant difference in recovery time, though. It just makes it
    >>hurt less in the meantime.
    >>
    >>Zainuddin Z, Newton M, Sacco P, Nosaka K. Effects of massage on
    >>delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle
    >>function. J Athl Train. 2005 Jul;40(3):174-80.
    >>
    >>Just thought I'd share that with you.
    >
    > I got a Dr. Scholl's Full Cushion massager for Christmas that I'm
    > trying out as I type this. My hamstrings are sore from the 5 sets of
    > 5 back squats I did on Monday. That was the first time I had done
    > that in quite a while so I guess it is to be expected.
    >
    > The massager is shaped like a car seat cover and has 4 sets of
    > massaging heads as well as a heating element. It also comes with a
    > 12V cigarette lighter plug but I don't know if it would be a good
    > thing to use while driving. I could see myself dozing off at the
    > wheel.

    Sounds sweet. But what have you been doing for a routine, that 5x5
    squats are making you sore?

    I'm not sure what you mean. I just started back with back squats a
    few weeks ago. Monday I did 5X5 at 285 (ATG and within less than 15
    minutes I completed all my sets...I was dripping sweat like a French
    [censored]) for the first time in a while. I've only back squatted a few
    times since August. I finished my Russian front squat routine more
    than a month ago so I haven't been doing a lot of squatting of any
    type in the meantime which is the cause of the soreness.

    I haven't been following... missed the whole Russian front squat routine
    thing. I have you pegged as a powerlifter, so why the front squats?

    "Pegged"?

    Anywho, apparently you missed my numerous rib (and disk, on occasion)
    posts about them being out of place or laying on top of one another. I
    had to back out of the Twin Cities Open because of it. I then
    proceeded to train legs with just front squats 3 days a week and
    deadlifts every other week. Turns out it was the hand placement on
    the bar while deadlifting that was popping my ribs out of place which
    I did again in November. So, in answer to your question, because I
    could do them.

  10. Hugh Beyer <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (snipped here and there)

    Quoted message said:

    John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Russian front squat routine

    Quoted message said:

    I have you pegged as a powerlifter, so why the front squats?

    Lots of powerlifters do assist work, front squats, overhead presses,
    etc. I'm a longtime fan of powerlifting. Bill Kazmaier was famous for
    his physique nearly as much as his feats of strength.

    http://kazmaier3.150m.com/training.htm

    --

  11. John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:01:17 GMT, Hugh Beyer <[email hidden]>
    wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:

    John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:53:47 GMT, Hugh Beyer <[email hidden]>
    wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >John Hanson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    >news:[email hidden]:
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:57:42 -0500, JMW <[email hidden]> wrote in
    >> misc.fitness.weights:
    >>
    >>>A recently published study from a university in Western Australia
    >>>indicates that ten minutes of massage, a half-hour after heavy
    >>>eccentric resistance training:
    >>>
    >>>[1] Significantly reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS);
    >>>[2] Significantly reduces plamsa creatine kinase (CK) levels; and
    >>>[3] Significantly reduces inflammatory response (swelling).
    >>>
    >>>No significant difference in recovery time, though. It just makes


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>hurt less in the meantime.
    >>>
    >>>Zainuddin Z, Newton M, Sacco P, Nosaka K. Effects of massage on
    >>>delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle
    >>>function. J Athl Train. 2005 Jul;40(3):174-80.
    >>>
    >>>Just thought I'd share that with you.
    >>
    >> I got a Dr. Scholl's Full Cushion massager for Christmas that I'm
    >> trying out as I type this. My hamstrings are sore from the 5 sets


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> 5 back squats I did on Monday. That was the first time I had done
    >> that in quite a while so I guess it is to be expected.
    >>
    >> The massager is shaped like a car seat cover and has 4 sets of
    >> massaging heads as well as a heating element. It also comes with a
    >> 12V cigarette lighter plug but I don't know if it would be a good
    >> thing to use while driving. I could see myself dozing off at the
    >> wheel.
    >
    >Sounds sweet. But what have you been doing for a routine, that 5x5
    >squats are making you sore?
    >

    I'm not sure what you mean. I just started back with back squats a
    few weeks ago. Monday I did 5X5 at 285 (ATG and within less than 15
    minutes I completed all my sets...I was dripping sweat like a French
    [censored]) for the first time in a while. I've only back squatted a few
    times since August. I finished my Russian front squat routine more
    than a month ago so I haven't been doing a lot of squatting of any
    type in the meantime which is the cause of the soreness.

    I haven't been following... missed the whole Russian front squat routine
    thing. I have you pegged as a powerlifter, so why the front squats?

    "Pegged"?

    Anywho, apparently you missed my numerous rib (and disk, on occasion)
    posts about them being out of place or laying on top of one another. I
    had to back out of the Twin Cities Open because of it. I then
    proceeded to train legs with just front squats 3 days a week and
    deadlifts every other week. Turns out it was the hand placement on
    the bar while deadlifting that was popping my ribs out of place which
    I did again in November. So, in answer to your question, because I
    could do them.

    Oh yeah. Duh. Congratulations on getting back to back squats.

    Hugb

    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi"😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.