General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Low Carb, asthma and vitamin C (please read)

Started by Patti · · Last activity · 9 posts · 331 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 November 2004
Last activity
12 November 2004
Original author
Patti
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
331
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This is a personal experience with the following combinations of diet
    and drugs. I am in now way insisting that this will happen to anyone
    other than me, but please read it.

    There's been some more health issues with me. About 6 months ago I
    started noticing that I was having trouble breathing. I talked to my
    doctor about it and she agreed that I was having symptoms consistent
    with asthma. She offered to put me on an inhaler but I'm allergic to
    epinephrine so she put me on Singulair instead. it took about 10 days
    to get enough into my body that I was finally having a much easier
    time breathing, in the mean time I read up on it and adults do get the
    onset of asthma, mostly women because it's hormone related.

    well then my urine changed color and I kept thinking that it would go
    away. It didn't. Then my hair started falling out. Not drastic but
    enough that I cut my hair, it just hits my shoulders now. Then I
    called my doctor and asked her if these symptoms were a problem, she
    told me to stop the singulair right away.

    well my urine never changed back after a month so I had her run some
    tests, the blood work came back with a dangerously high level of iron
    in my blood, so she ran a ferretine test. In the mean time I started
    reading about iron overload. Which is dangerous. The most interesting
    thing I found out was what causes iron deficiency, and how they treat
    it.

    When someone is anemic they are instructed to take massive doses of
    vitamin C (not a treatement for everybody) because vitamin C causes
    you to absorb iron at a very high rate. Oh s**t! I take a one-a-day
    and supplement it with extra vitamin C. It turns out that I was
    causing my body to overload iron. Guess what two of the symptoms of
    iron overload is.... hair loss and asthma.

    my internist told me that this low carb diet has all the vitamin C I
    need because there is vitamin C in most foods and the more this diet
    allows of red meat and so forth, the more vitamin C I'm getting from
    sources most people don't know exist. i.e. steak, chicken, nuts,
    spinach etc. so supplementing vitamin C in the presence of high iron
    intake was dangerous. She told me to follow my diet without any
    supplements and she'll draw my blood once a month for the next few
    months and she believes all will be well.

    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that low carb is a balanced
    diet. By the way... my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose
    levels are still outstanding. and my iron levels have returned to
    normal. I'm still having trouble breathing, but I am starting to have
    hormone changes, and I think the hair loss has slowed to normal.

    We put our beagles on the BARF diet and the fat one has lost 2 pounds
    in 6 weeks. Woo-Hoo! We have a BARF distributor here but we buy the
    raw food from the regular store, it's gross sometimes but it's not so
    hard to do it. Molly's breath is wonderful and her teeth have never
    looked this white. Maggie has stopped scratching and her teeth are
    very white now. They eat twice a day and get a pork neck bone, or pig
    foot every other day. It took 9 weeks to change them over to raw food,
    as an abrupt change causes nausea.

    That's all for now
    Patti

    reached my goal in april. Size 3

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Patti said:


    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that low carb is a balanced
    diet. By the way... my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose
    levels are still outstanding. and my iron levels have returned to
    normal. I'm still having trouble breathing, but I am starting to have
    hormone changes, and I think the hair loss has slowed to normal.

    Yikes! That was scary, but I'm glad you're doing better, and I hope your
    breathing improves. What happened to you is just one more example of why I
    don't take supplements. I get scared about overdosing even when it comes to
    a one-a-day.

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  3. "Patti" <[email hidden]> wrote > We put our beagles on
    the BARF diet and the fat one has lost 2 pounds

    Quoted message said:

    in 6 weeks. Woo-Hoo! We have a BARF distributor here but we buy the
    raw food from the regular store, it's gross sometimes but it's not so
    hard to do it. Molly's breath is wonderful and her teeth have never
    looked this white. Maggie has stopped scratching and her teeth are
    very white now. They eat twice a day and get a pork neck bone, or pig
    foot every other day. It took 9 weeks to change them over to raw food,
    as an abrupt change causes nausea.

    Not to dismiss your entire post regarding your personal health (glad you're
    feeling better)...but I've been working on getting our dogs on BARF, too.
    LC for dogs, you could say. We have one overweight, hypo-thyroid dog, and
    one dog who hates to eat. LC has done so much for me and my husband that we
    want to do the same for our boys.

    Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to be able to pull it off while
    we're living here in Holland. Meat is mostly imported here and really
    expensive, so the chances of buying a low-cost lamb's neck or pigs feet is
    remote. When we get back to the US in 2006, I'll probably buy from a
    distributor, or establish a relationship with our local butcher.

    I know my dogs are going to love LC as much as we do!
    S t a c i
    (you can see "my boys" at www. very pink . com)

  4. Wow,,,,,I do learn something new every day. Thanks for that.
    --
    Started LC Sept 26/04
    189/172.5/125
    "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Patti said:


    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that low carb is a balanced
    diet. By the way... my cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose
    levels are still outstanding. and my iron levels have returned to
    normal. I'm still having trouble breathing, but I am starting to have
    hormone changes, and I think the hair loss has slowed to normal.

    Yikes! That was scary, but I'm glad you're doing better, and I hope your
    breathing improves. What happened to you is just one more example of why
    I
    don't take supplements. I get scared about overdosing even when it comes
    to
    a one-a-day.

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.


  5. Quoted message said:

    Not to dismiss your entire post regarding your personal health (glad you're
    feeling better)...but I've been working on getting our dogs on BARF, too.
    LC for dogs, you could say. We have one overweight, hypo-thyroid dog, and
    one dog who hates to eat. LC has done so much for me and my husband that we
    want to do the same for our boys.

    Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to be able to pull it off while
    we're living here in Holland. Meat is mostly imported here and really
    expensive, so the chances of buying a low-cost lamb's neck or pigs feet is
    remote. When we get back to the US in 2006, I'll probably buy from a
    distributor, or establish a relationship with our local butcher.

    I know my dogs are going to love LC as much as we do!
    S t a c i
    (you can see "my boys" at www. very pink . com)

    Staci i enjoyed the pictures of your dogs. Are they siblings? Mine are
    sisters. but one is fat because of allergies and steroids to help the
    allergies that are probably caused by hormones and preservatives in
    their food. One dog would skip meals frequently because i think she
    hated her food. She never misses a meal now.

    It takes almost two months to change the dogs over to raw food. You
    need to mix about a tablespoon of raw meat. (hamburger is easiest to
    use) into their current food for two weeks, then a couple table spoons
    for another two weeks, until they are at about 1 hamburger patty.
    Bones with marrow are an entire's day worth of food and you should
    only give that to them once per week. We haven't had much luck with
    organ meats. they'll eat chicken gizzards because they are hungry from
    having only a meaty bone the entire day before. But they will not eat
    liver. Can't say I blame them.

    We feed our dogs things they used to throw away:
    pig feet
    pork neck bones
    chicken backs (don't believe the wives tale about bones getting stuck
    in them, how on earth did dogs survive the wild without human
    intervention?)
    hamburger patties
    salad (with carb solutions french dressing)
    we find ribs on sale sometimes and get it for them

    good luck

    Patti

    Quoted message said:
  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Patti said:

    We feed our dogs things they used to throw away:
    pig feet
    pork neck bones
    chicken backs (don't believe the wives tale about bones getting stuck
    in them, how on earth did dogs survive the wild without human
    intervention?)

    They didn't eat *cooked* bones except after forest fires.

    KeS

  7. Patti said:


    Quoted message said:

    Not to dismiss your entire post regarding your personal health (glad you're
    feeling better)...but I've been working on getting our dogs on BARF, too.
    LC for dogs, you could say. We have one overweight, hypo-thyroid dog, and
    one dog who hates to eat. LC has done so much for me and my husband that we
    want to do the same for our boys.

    Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to be able to pull it off while
    we're living here in Holland. Meat is mostly imported here and really
    expensive, so the chances of buying a low-cost lamb's neck or pigs feet is
    remote. When we get back to the US in 2006, I'll probably buy from a
    distributor, or establish a relationship with our local butcher.

    I know my dogs are going to love LC as much as we do!
    S t a c i
    (you can see "my boys" at www. very pink . com)

    Staci i enjoyed the pictures of your dogs. Are they siblings? Mine are
    sisters. but one is fat because of allergies and steroids to help the
    allergies that are probably caused by hormones and preservatives in
    their food. One dog would skip meals frequently because i think she
    hated her food. She never misses a meal now.

    It takes almost two months to change the dogs over to raw food. You
    need to mix about a tablespoon of raw meat. (hamburger is easiest to
    use) into their current food for two weeks, then a couple table spoons
    for another two weeks, until they are at about 1 hamburger patty.
    Bones with marrow are an entire's day worth of food and you should
    only give that to them once per week. We haven't had much luck with
    organ meats. they'll eat chicken gizzards because they are hungry from
    having only a meaty bone the entire day before. But they will not eat
    liver. Can't say I blame them.

    We feed our dogs things they used to throw away:
    pig feet
    pork neck bones
    chicken backs (don't believe the wives tale about bones getting stuck
    in them, how on earth did dogs survive the wild without human
    intervention?)

    The only time chicken bones are a problem is when they're cooked. Raw
    bones don't splinter.

    Lybbe
    Highest Weight - 308
    Started Bernstein Diet October 2, 2004 - 243.0
    Today's weight - 219.0
    Goal - 150

    Quoted message said:

    hamburger patties
    salad (with carb solutions french dressing)
    we find ribs on sale sometimes and get it for them

    good luck

    Patti

    Quoted message said:
  8. "Patti" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Staci i enjoyed the pictures of your dogs. Are they siblings? Mine are
    sisters.

    Nope, they're two unrelated boys. My husband and I met while we were both
    out walking our Basenjis in a park in Seattle...of course we stopped to
    talk, because it's not everyday you see another Basenji. The boys have
    become very best friends, and Chris and I have been together 6 years. The
    rest is history!

    I've heard such good things about getting dogs on LC. Better coats, better
    teeth, fewer health problems, etc.

    S t a c i

  9. Thanks for the post. I'll keep it in mind so that I shall never overdose iron
    or vitamin C!

    Patti said:

    my internist told me that this low carb diet has all the vitamin C I
    need because there is vitamin C in most foods and the more this diet
    allows of red meat and so forth, the more vitamin C I'm getting from
    sources most people don't know exist. i.e. steak, chicken, nuts,
    spinach etc. so supplementing vitamin C in the presence of high iron
    intake was dangerous. She told me to follow my diet without any
    supplements and she'll draw my blood once a month for the next few
    months and she believes all will be well.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.