Road Cycling · Public discussion

Loose fitting pants

Started by Ken · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,254 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 June 2005
Last activity
18 June 2005
Original author
Ken
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,254
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ken said:

    "John_Kane" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ron Wallenfang said:

    I've biked over 200,000 miles wearing (in warm weather) a printed cotton
    t-shirt, cotton jockey briefs and a pair of bermudas. In cold weather, I
    switch to a flannel shirt or sweatshirt. Colder yet, and I substitute
    blue
    jeans for the bermudas. Still colder and a woolen sweater goes over the
    sweatshirt. You don't have to "look like a rider" to be one.

    Very true and while I ride in spandex cycling gear for any 'long' ride
    (generallly defined as anything over about 10 km between stops) I
    certainly don't bother donning all the kit for riding in town. It is
    just not worth the trouble getting changed. I'm just as comfortable for
    a 4-5 km ride in a turtle neck and a pair of jeans. Mind you a suit
    and tie in hot, humid weather is a pain.

    That said I really do find that cycling for any real distance, say
    anything over even just 20-30 km is much more comfortable in lycra and
    with cycling gloves. Also I find tights are a lot better for winter
    riding than are normal trousers or jeans.

    We've had about 140+ years for cycle clothes to evolve and I think
    they are noticeably better than street clothes for serious distance
    riding or even regular commuting.

    John Kane
    Kingston ON

    Well I have just started to get serious about cycling, now that I have been
    car free for nearly 4 years, and found that walking, buses and taxi's are
    not fast enough / reliable / convientent. I have been riding around town in
    my regular street clothing. And for my distance fitness rides I have been
    wearing sweatpants and a cotton t-shirt. My first experience with a real
    jersey was good, it does get about as wet as the t-shirt, but seems to pull
    the moisture away from the skin nicely. And when "on a break" during the
    ride it dries very quickly. So I am a cycling clothing convert for distance
    rides. I just don't really like the looks of the tights.

    Ken

    Yes but just think of how the girls will admire those legs 🙂 The
    tights are a lot more comfortable and IMHO more functional. It just
    takes getting used to wearing them. Heck a helmet looks sillier.

    I must admit I think I sometimes look a bit like a bumblebee in a
    yellow long sleeved jersey and black tights but then I stop and think
    about the tourists I see in weird shirts and Bermuda shorts and say "At
    least I have a real reason."

    Of course I grew up wearing hockey gear and rugby kit and have spent
    time in chefs' jackets, checked pants and funny hats so specialized
    clothing doesn't usually bother me. And the last couple of cities I've
    lived in have had a lot of cyclists so wandering around in cycling gear
    is not all that unusual (well one does get some odd looks in a
    snowstorm in January)

    John Kane
    Kingston ON

  2. "Ken" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:_qIse.1722899$Xk.500061@pd7tw3no...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Well I have just started to get serious about cycling,
    And for my distance fitness rides I have been
    wearing sweatpants and a cotton t-shirt.

    Looks like you still have a long way to go before
    you're a real cyclist.


    Well not everyone can be as great as "The Fabulous Fabrizio"!

    Ken


    He would be the first one to agree with you.

  3. I'm sure someone will mention this but you might consider *mountain bike
    style* shorts. They are generally a bit baggy, have zip/velcro pockets, and
    chamois for comfort. Do a google for *bicycle apparel* and check out the
    options. You could order online but it is often as cheap, or cheaper, to
    order through your local bike shop.

    Keep Ridin'!
    jason in indy

    "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ken said:


    Does anyone ride with loose fitting pants / shorts over their tight
    cycling
    clothing? I just took my first ride with my first jersey versus the old
    cotton t-shirt I have been riding in and it is much much more
    comfortable!
    So now I am thinking that with a proper pair of moisture wicking cycling
    tights / shorts to keep the male "parts" from getting bounced around as
    much, would make distance riding even more comfortable. However I am a
    bit
    "self conscious" about being seen in the tights. So I was thinking that
    the
    loose pants shorts over the tights might be a good way to go. Any advise
    /
    feedback on this idea?

    Have some cojones, man. Ain't nobody going to go blind, or hit on you,
    just because you're wearing tights.

    That said, I often wear cycling shorts as underpants with my everyday
    clothes (bib overalls/cotton t-shirt). That way, I don't have to go
    changing my clothes all the time when I ride for transportation, and my
    ride is a lot more comfortable.

    Chalo Colina

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.