Road Cycling · Public discussion

Looking for thrifty canvas/leather messengerbag...

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 12 posts · 328 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 December 2005
Last activity
7 December 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
328
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a shoulderbag about the size of a messengerbag only not
    made of nylon. Nylon is great for everyday rugged messenger use, but
    I'm looking for something classy, quiet, soft/floppy---that doesn't
    have a 'sporty' style.

    The Territory Ahead Mailbag is really close to what I'm after---but
    it's $150. And maybe a bit small.

    I've done some research on various-sized shoulderbags:
    http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=136. (Includes pics of the
    Territory Mailbag.)

    I'm even selling a few kinds of bags---small
    daybag/saddlebag/handlebarbag, med bookbag, and a classy "lunchbox."
    (http://outyourbackdoor.com/list_articles.php?catid=31)

    But I'm now looking for something in canvas with leather corners/points
    that's about 18x14x8 in size.

    The Bohemian Plumber bag is very classy but all-leather and a bit too
    rigid.

    I'm thinking there has to be a military-surplus version of what I'm
    looking for out there. But in mil-sup so far all I find are smaller
    shoulderbags then a jump up to rucksacks.

    Thanks! JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

  2. I had four haversack/shoulderbag things in the past few years until my
    wife and I got Manhattan Portage bags, and we stuck with those. For my
    money, they're far and away the best bike bags, and made right here in
    New York. We got the briefcase style, the big carry-everything, and the
    little pocketbook type. Prices from $30 - $150 for most of their stuff.

    --ag

    [email hidden] wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a shoulderbag about the size of a messengerbag only
    not made of nylon. Nylon is great for everyday rugged messenger use,
    but I'm looking for something classy, quiet, soft/floppy---that
    doesn't have a 'sporty' style.

    The Territory Ahead Mailbag is really close to what I'm after---but
    it's $150. And maybe a bit small.

    I've done some research on various-sized shoulderbags:
    http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=136. (Includes pics of the
    Territory Mailbag.)

    I'm even selling a few kinds of bags---small
    daybag/saddlebag/handlebarbag, med bookbag, and a classy "lunchbox."
    (http://outyourbackdoor.com/list_articles.php?catid=31)

    But I'm now looking for something in canvas with leather
    corners/points that's about 18x14x8 in size.

    The Bohemian Plumber bag is very classy but all-leather and a bit too
    rigid.

    I'm thinking there has to be a military-surplus version of what I'm
    looking for out there. But in mil-sup so far all I find are smaller
    shoulderbags then a jump up to rucksacks.

    Thanks! JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

  3. [email hidden] wrote:
    [clever spam snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! JP


    [spammer's website snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, you had me fooled until you included the website in your sig and
    it's acronym in your email address. try harder next time.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  4. Paul Hobson said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    [clever spam snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! JP

    [spammer's website snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, you had me fooled until you included the website in your sig and
    it's acronym in your email address. try harder next time.

    I don't think he was trying:

    "I'm even selling a few kinds of bags..."

  5. Mud Pup, you and Paul Hobson are morons---that said, I assert
    truthfully that one can have an interest in bike products and also sell
    different bike products. Where are your brains, kids?

    I sell a small and medium bag. I'm looking for a larger bag.

    HELLO?

    Andy Gee mentions a bike messenger bag. I presume it's nylon if it's
    made for messengers. I'm after something different, as I mentioned.
    Something a little classier, less sporty. It doesn't need to be
    bombproof. Canvas with leather points to it would be great. There's at
    least one out there, as I said, that's $150. Too much. Again, my
    entirely and obviously and provably spam-free question is: Does anyone
    know of such a bag at a good price? (And yes FWIW I clearly state that
    I sell related bike stuff. I *use* related bike stuff everyday. I like
    finding stuff I can use for cycling AND for most everything else. Then
    I *use* it and write about it and sometimes even try to sell it if it's
    hard to find and especially cool. Get real, kids!)

    ---JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

  6. [email hidden] wrote in news:1133921081.048286.28770
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:


    Andy Gee mentions a bike messenger bag. I presume it's nylon if it's
    made for messengers. I'm after something different, as I mentioned.
    Something a little classier, less sporty. It doesn't need to be
    bombproof. Canvas with leather points to it would be great. There's at
    least one out there, as I said, that's $150. Too much. Again, my
    entirely and obviously and provably spam-free question is: Does anyone
    know of such a bag at a good price? (And yes FWIW I clearly state that
    I sell related bike stuff. I *use* related bike stuff everyday. I like
    finding stuff I can use for cycling AND for most everything else. Then
    I *use* it and write about it and sometimes even try to sell it if it's
    hard to find and especially cool. Get real, kids!)

    They're mostly super-reinforced canvas (won't run like nylon) with soft
    leather padding on handles and straps. What you're paying for is:

    1. A bag made in New York by New Yorkers, as opposed to something made by
    political prisoners overseas, that lasts under tough Manhattan conditions,
    as opposed to not lasting five minutes.

    2. A fashion statement. It says "I'm a cyclist but I could obviously
    afford a Coach bag if I chose to buy one. I have a distinction that you,
    the SUV commuter from Connecticut, can't pay for with money since it has to
    be earned with sweat and grit." That's not a set of facts, it's just the
    statement the bags make. Make of the culture critique what you will.

    Most commercial bike messengers, I should point out, make their own bags.

    --ag

  7. Quoted message said:

    Mud Pup, you and Paul Hobson are morons---that said, I assert
    truthfully that one can have an interest in bike products and also
    sell different bike products. Where are your brains, kids?

    I sell a small and medium bag. I'm looking for a larger bag.

    HELLO?

    Andy Gee mentions a bike messenger bag. I presume it's nylon if it's
    made for messengers. I'm after something different, as I mentioned.
    Something a little classier, less sporty. It doesn't need to be
    bombproof. Canvas with leather points to it would be great. There's at
    least one out there, as I said, that's $150. Too much. Again, my
    entirely and obviously and provably spam-free question is: Does anyone
    know of such a bag at a good price? (And yes FWIW I clearly state that
    I sell related bike stuff. I *use* related bike stuff everyday. I like
    finding stuff I can use for cycling AND for most everything else. Then
    I *use* it and write about it and sometimes even try to sell it if
    it's hard to find and especially cool. Get real, kids!)

    ---JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

    Blow it out your backdoor.com.

    Spammer.

    BS (really)

  8. [email hidden] wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a shoulderbag about the size of a messengerbag only
    not made of nylon. Nylon is great for everyday rugged messenger
    use, but I'm looking for something classy, quiet,
    soft/floppy---that doesn't have a 'sporty' style.

    The Territory Ahead Mailbag is really close to what I'm after---but
    it's $150. And maybe a bit small.

    I've done some research on various-sized shoulderbags:
    http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=136. (Includes pics of
    the Territory Mailbag.)

    I'm even selling a few kinds of bags---small
    daybag/saddlebag/handlebarbag, med bookbag, and a classy
    "lunchbox." (http://outyourbackdoor.com/list_articles.php?catid=31)

    But I'm now looking for something in canvas with leather
    corners/points that's about 18x14x8 in size.

    The Bohemian Plumber bag is very classy but all-leather and a bit
    too rigid.

    I'm thinking there has to be a military-surplus version of what I'm
    looking for out there. But in mil-sup so far all I find are smaller
    shoulderbags then a jump up to rucksacks.

    Thanks! JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

    Something like this? Cotton, but also comes in denim and canvas.
    http://tinyurl.com/8j4ly

    Or, one of these?
    http://tinyurl.com/dlx3g
    http://tinyurl.com/bjheo
    http://tinyurl.com/expc2
    http://tinyurl.com/dfhzm
    http://tinyurl.com/8cpx8
    http://tinyurl.com/bcu9n

    Maybe this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you might find
    what you are looking for at ebags.com.

    Just a thought. HTH.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

  9. Thanks---I see the canvas Manhattan Portage now. (Couldn't find it
    before. Seems like it's not listed with all the other Portages.) Looks
    good. Still doesn't exactly fit my mission. But maybe I'll come around
    to it. I looked thru all of ebags "canvas shoulder" and didn't come up
    with anything like a big ole traditional mailbag. But maybe the
    messenger style will be better in the end anyway. I like rumply and
    messengers usually stay pretty inflexible---well mine is still
    bombproof stiff. Something a little rumply has to be out there...
    Basically, something like the mil-sup rucksacks would be great---a
    little wider with shoulderstrap instead of packstraps. There are
    several cheap mil-sup rucksacks of great rumply canvas with leather
    straps, outside pockets... I'd repurpose em if I could but they all
    have the "tall" format. Hmm, I'll keep looking...

    --JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

    spam spam spam!!! ooooo, we hate bike content if it has a ".com" in
    it... oooo! (BOO!)

  10. Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a shoulderbag about the size of a messengerbag only not
    made of nylon. Nylon is great for everyday rugged messenger use, but
    I'm looking for something classy, quiet, soft/floppy---that doesn't
    have a 'sporty' style.

    These folks do canvas and leather....

    http://www.duluthtrading.com/

    Good luck.

  11. Quoted message said:

    Mud Pup, you and Paul Hobson are morons---that said, I assert
    truthfully that one can have an interest in bike products and also sell
    different bike products. Where are your brains, kids?

    I sell a small and medium bag. I'm looking for a larger bag.

    I was defending your integrity. If you're too dense to see that,
    perhaps you are the moron.

  12. [email hidden] wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks---I see the canvas Manhattan Portage now. (Couldn't find it
    before. Seems like it's not listed with all the other Portages.)
    Looks good. Still doesn't exactly fit my mission. But maybe I'll
    come around to it. I looked thru all of ebags "canvas shoulder" and
    didn't come up with anything like a big ole traditional mailbag.
    But maybe the messenger style will be better in the end anyway. I
    like rumply and messengers usually stay pretty inflexible---well
    mine is still bombproof stiff. Something a little rumply has to be
    out there... Basically, something like the mil-sup rucksacks would
    be great---a little wider with shoulderstrap instead of packstraps.
    There are several cheap mil-sup rucksacks of great rumply canvas
    with leather straps, outside pockets... I'd repurpose em if I could
    but they all have the "tall" format. Hmm, I'll keep looking...

    --JP
    outyourbackdoor.com

    spam spam spam!!! ooooo, we hate bike content if it has a ".com"
    in it... oooo! (BOO!)

    I didn't look, but I wonder if nashbar.com, or rei.com might have
    something for ya.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.