Looking at several sets of wheels, guidance/explanation appreciated

Tyler Smith

Sep 3, 2016
PA
Hey guys,

Thanks to those who helped with my original bike dilemma. Now I am looking at whether wheels in my budget will help me with my goals.

I currently have Bontrager Race wheels that came on the Trek 4.5 Madone (and others I assume). With 25% at Nashbar for wheels and tires today I am thinking about buying another set to help with flat speed. My bike is not very light and I am not worrying a lot about it since I'm still losing weight from myself first haha. But this has me leaning more toward a cheap aero wheel such as the Vuelta 37mm. I weigh 173lbs currently and should continue to drop into the low 160s, so I don't think I need crazy sturdy wheels, but I am still learning here.

Any advice or information on whether wheels like this will actually improve my flat speed is appreciated. Thanks!

Some additional info (encase it is helpful):
I started cycling 2 months ago and have improved from ~16.5mph to ~17.5mph over 5-20 mile rides. I rarely get the chance to go much further, but really enjoy challenging myself on the Strava segments near me.

For the money they are a really good value. The aero profile isn't some high zoot elipsoid toroidal golf ball dimpled 3D CAD designed piece of space technology that was tested by elite big paycheck racers in the San Berdoo wind tunnel. For $100+...who cares?

These will carry your weight. No sweat there.

With J-head spokes you may or may not end up breaking a couple, but replacements are cheap and easily sourced.

2000 grams isn't really 'light' either, but the tradeoff is a little more durability for that slower spin-up. Again, maybe not a deal breaker at all...for the money and all the positive reviews it would be worth getting the CC out and trying them IMO.

Reactions: Tyler Smith
Sounds good, I went for the 37mm Vueltas. We'll see how they go. Was able to get out before dinner tonight for a change and hit 18.3mph average for the 10 mile ride. I was very happy with that. Now to see if my new helmet and wheels help get me moving a little quicker yet!

If nothing else they are extra motivation to get out and ride harder :)

20160930_200402.jpg

Looking at your bike setup...and knowing absolutely zero about you, the rider...if you want more speed, try flipping your stem and then gradually removing stem spacers and/or try a shorter headset top cap to get in a more aero position.

The rider is always THE most un-aerodynamic component on the bike. That new helmet and tightly fitted clothing will also add some Watts to your riding. That's just advice...no criticism of your riding position is intended as we all ride with our personal preferences foremost.

The disclaimer: Bad backs, short torso, T-Rex arms, etc. not considered!

The TREK looks good! The Vuelta's are a good match for it. It does need a pair of black cages though, unless your team colors/clothing is also yellow. Dig the Flite...one of my favorite saddles for racing or the long haul.

Thanks for the thoughts on setup. I actually just got my 80s Giant back on the road and it's far more aggressive. 17 miles and my back was feeling it (I'm only 28 but had back surgery about 5 years ago) so it's a gradual process getting the front down on the main bike.

I'm no gram weenie, but when it comes to road bikes, I think upgrading wheels is well worth the admittedly expensive price. I once had a Trek cyclocross bike that came with Bontrager Race wheels. I then upgraded to Race Lites and then on to Race X Lites and noticed an improvement at each step. I rate adding a good set of wheels to be the best single thing you can do to improve performance on a road bike.

I'm only 28 but had back surgery about 5 years ago

Damn! My back has been FUBAR since 1993 and Zipp's is way more painful than mine. I can't imagine having a back so screwed up that it needed surgery at the age of 23! You've got a lot of life ahead of you.

Best of luck to you! Definitely go at any position adjustment slowly and always listen to what you back is telling you. That's why we always haves disclaimers and exception. No two bodies are alike.