UK and Europe · Public discussion

London to Brighton RR

Started by LSMike · · Last activity · 10 posts · 344 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 June 2006
Last activity
20 June 2006
Original author
LSMike
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
344
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

  2. LSMike said:

    Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

    LEL in 2009?

    ...d

  3. "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

    Mike, that was a great report! Well bloody done!

    I've really got to get my skates out this year, but the last Sunday Stroll I
    did had me sweating buckets with everyone else going along nicely. I'd just
    changed my wheels, and get a bit more vibration, so stuck in pro insoles.
    However am thinking that I need to change the bearings. They've never been
    serviced or changed. I also need to get out and practice.

    Any advice?

    Nick

  4. elyob said:

    "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

    Mike, that was a great report! Well bloody done!

    I've really got to get my skates out this year, but the last Sunday Stroll I
    did had me sweating buckets with everyone else going along nicely. I'd just
    changed my wheels, and get a bit more vibration, so stuck in pro insoles.
    However am thinking that I need to change the bearings. They've never been
    serviced or changed. I also need to get out and practice.

    Any advice?

    Nick

    Thanks, it was a load of fun, and if we can do it, anyone can with the
    necessary preparation.

    How well do your wheels spin? If they don't spin for a while, and the
    bearings make crunchy noises, I'd just chuck 'em and buy some new ones.
    Twincam ABEC5 are my favourite trash bearings.

    Going fast on skates is all about technique, mind, so a bunch of
    technique work will get you faster and give more return for your
    efforts than anything else.

  5. David Martin said:
    LSMike said:

    Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

    LEL in 2009?

    ..d

    Eeeek! Maybe....

    Not. 🙂

  6. LSMike said:

    Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

    I wonder if it was you we saw at some stage, or some other skaters. Our pub
    conversation was "WTF do the do on the steep down hills?!!?" - now i know!

    Great report!

    My (mtb) cycling time was 4hrs 25 The long slow drags up hill slowed by
    walkers & slow cycles plus the long queing into Brighton added a lot to the
    time.

    54 miles
    4hr 25 cycling time
    35.4 max speed
    12.2mph average
    2 pts of bitter
    1 larger
    1 pt orange and lemonade
    1 lucozade sport
    4 lltres water
    1 bacon roll
    1 burger
    Cycled every inch! Including Ditchling beacon

    Set off 6:45 from Clampam.

    Arrived @ finish line @ 1445

    pk

  7. "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    elyob said:

    "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well actually, skate report since I didn't cycle it:

    http://www.londonskaters.com/skate-trips-london-to-brighton-2006.htm

    Mike, that was a great report! Well bloody done!

    I've really got to get my skates out this year, but the last Sunday
    Stroll I
    did had me sweating buckets with everyone else going along nicely. I'd
    just
    changed my wheels, and get a bit more vibration, so stuck in pro insoles.
    However am thinking that I need to change the bearings. They've never
    been
    serviced or changed. I also need to get out and practice.

    Any advice?

    Nick

    Thanks, it was a load of fun, and if we can do it, anyone can with the
    necessary preparation.

    How well do your wheels spin? If they don't spin for a while, and the
    bearings make crunchy noises, I'd just chuck 'em and buy some new ones.
    Twincam ABEC5 are my favourite trash bearings.

    Going fast on skates is all about technique, mind, so a bunch of
    technique work will get you faster and give more return for your
    efforts than anything else.

    It just seemed to me that I was putting in a lot more effort than everyone
    else. Even people worse than me weren't having such a hard time. I guess
    after six years I ought to consider changing them.

    I don't know of any skate shops near to Kingston-upon-Thames. Do you know
    any? I'll get some of the ABEC5's if you reckon they're good. Maybe an
    on-line dealer?

    When I did the lessons at Spitalfields, they put me in the top group. So,
    I'm not all that bad. But can't skate backwards, and find it difficult to
    carry backbacks. Also, not great at t-stops. So, a lot to do, but think I
    should be finding it easier on the Sunday Stroll.

  8. elyob said:


    It just seemed to me that I was putting in a lot more effort than everyone
    else. Even people worse than me weren't having such a hard time. I guess
    after six years I ought to consider changing them.

    I don't know of any skate shops near to Kingston-upon-Thames. Do you know
    any? I'll get some of the ABEC5's if you reckon they're good. Maybe an
    on-line dealer?

    When I did the lessons at Spitalfields, they put me in the top group. So,
    I'm not all that bad. But can't skate backwards, and find it difficult to
    carry backbacks. Also, not great at t-stops. So, a lot to do, but think I
    should be finding it easier on the Sunday Stroll.

    Aye, sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as slating your skating.
    It was more of a general comment, most people I come across think we go
    fast from fitness, but it's 90% technique, and very subtle too. It's
    quite likely your skates aren't rolling too well either.

  9. "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Aye, sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as slating your skating.
    It was more of a general comment, most people I come across think we go
    fast from fitness, but it's 90% technique, and very subtle too. It's
    quite likely your skates aren't rolling too well either.

    I didn't take it badly, don't worry. Just am confused as to why I am finding
    it hard. I have Salomon FT8's.

    Can you point me to a shop that will post out some bearings? I think I'll
    replace them just to rule out that as a problem.

    Thanks

  10. "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "LSMike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Aye, sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as slating your skating.
    It was more of a general comment, most people I come across think we go
    fast from fitness, but it's 90% technique, and very subtle too. It's
    quite likely your skates aren't rolling too well either.

    I didn't take it badly, don't worry. Just am confused as to why I am
    finding it hard. I have Salomon FT8's.

    Can you point me to a shop that will post out some bearings? I think I'll
    replace them just to rule out that as a problem.

    Just found kateskates ... ordered some new bearings 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.