UK and Europe · Public discussion

London to Brighton questions

Started by Ianmel · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,262 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
20 June 2004
Original author
Ianmel
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,262
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Looking forward to my first attempt at the ride. Can anyone who's done it tell me is water available along the course and is it free. Also what are the stop off points like for food, are we talking burger vans here!

  2. Ianmel said:

    Looking forward to my first attempt at the ride. Can anyone
    who's done it tell me is water available along the course
    and is it free. Also what are the stop off points like for
    food, are we talking burger vans here!

    Last time I rode it was about 10 years ago, so things may
    have changed. However...

    The official stops (as listed on your route card) have
    water, tea, coffee and food. They're often charitable causes
    (Scouts (1), schools etc) so worth a bit of support.

    There are also unofficial stops, shops and of course pubs.

    (1) The Scout hut at Burstow is now being rebuilt. Last
    year (and maybe the year before) it was derelict,
    following a fire.

    Tim

  3. Thanks for the info Tim

    Ian

  4. I wanted to do the l2b ride this year and it would have been my first year. I had no idea that you would have to apply in March to secure an entry. I will know better for next year.

    I don't suppose there are any nice people out there who for one reason or another are unable to make it and want to help recycle their entries????🙄

  5. Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to do the l2b ride this year and it would have
    been my first year. I had no idea that you would have to
    apply in March to secure an entry. I will know better for
    next year.

    I don't suppose there are any nice people out there who
    for one reason or another are unable to make it and want
    to help recycle their entries????🙄

    You can enter on the day, honest! (at least you could every
    time I have done it even though have always had a number
    beforehand, there is a tent on Clapham Common for this
    purpose; they will deny it but it is true. ;-)

  6. Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to do the l2b ride this year and it would have
    been my first year. I had no idea that you would have to
    apply in March to secure an entry. I will know better for
    next year.

    I don't suppose there are any nice people out there who
    for one reason or another are unable to make it and want
    to help recycle their entries????🙄

    Besides, it's on public roads so they can't stop you joining
    in if that's what you want to do.

    --
    Dave...

  7. [QUOTE
    You can enter on the day, honest! (at least you could every
    time I have done it even though have always had a number
    beforehand, there is a tent on Clapham Common for this
    purpose; they will deny it but it is true. ;-) [/B][/QUOTE]

    Thanks this is fantastic news.

  8. Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [QUOTE You can enter on the day, honest! (at least you
    could every time I have done it even though have always
    had a number beforehand, there is a tent on Clapham Common
    for this purpose; they will deny it but it is true. ;-)

    Thanks this is fantastic news.

    It does seem too good to be true but it has happened every
    year so far; in fact I've even forgotten my little plastic
    card holder before and picked up a discarded one from the
    registration tent. Of course you may not be able to get the
    coach back; even though there will still be the old trains
    they have decided not to let any riders on them, and have
    put posters up at all the Southern stations. If you could
    ride to another station than Brighton (Lewes, Horsham, East
    Grinstead, Uckfield) you would get on I imagine (after all
    how do they know you have done the L2B apart from a big
    satisfied grin?) Alternatively if going back by car meet at
    Patcham or Devil's Dyke.

  9. MartinM said:

    Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [QUOTE You can enter on the day, honest! (at least you
    could every time I have done it even though have always
    had a number beforehand, there is a tent on Clapham Common
    for this purpose; they will deny it but it is true. ;-)

    Thanks this is fantastic news.

    It does seem too good to be true but it has happened every
    year so far; in fact I've even forgotten my little plastic
    card holder before and picked up a discarded one from the
    registration tent. Of course you may not be able to get
    the coach back; even though there will still be the old
    trains they have decided not to let any riders on them,
    and have put posters up at all the Southern stations. If
    you could ride to another station than Brighton (Lewes,
    Horsham, East Grinstead, Uckfield) you would get on I
    imagine (after all how do they know you have done the L2B
    apart from a big satisfied grin?) Alternatively if going
    back by car meet at Patcham or Devil's Dyke.

    could always ride back!

  10. mae <[email hidden]> wedi ysgrifennu:

    Quoted message said:
    MartinM said:

    Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [QUOTE You can enter on the day, honest! (at least you
    could every time I have done it even though have always
    had a number beforehand, there is a tent on Clapham
    Common for this purpose; they will deny it but it is
    true. ;-)

    Thanks this is fantastic news.

    It does seem too good to be true but it has happened
    every year so far; in fact I've even forgotten my little
    plastic card holder before and picked up a discarded one
    from the registration tent. Of course you may not be able
    to get the coach back; even though there will still be
    the old trains they have decided not to let any riders on
    them, and have put posters up at all the Southern
    stations. If you could ride to another station than
    Brighton (Lewes, Horsham, East Grinstead, Uckfield) you
    would get on I imagine (after all how do they know you
    have done the L2B apart from a big satisfied grin?)
    Alternatively if going back by car meet at Patcham or
    Devil's Dyke.

    could always ride back!

    This is the problem I have with London-Brighton. It could
    and *should* be a celebration of cycling and, in a broader
    sense, cardio-vascular activity. Unfortunately, the fact
    that it's a sponsored event means that there is an emphasis
    on how 'difficult' it is to cycle sixty miles - after all,
    it would be a real job to get friends and family to sponsor
    you to do something easy.

    Yet sixty miles in eight hours or so for even a moderately
    unfit person is relatively easy, even if they probably would
    have to walk a couple of hills.

    Every time I rode the L-B I also rode to the start (ten
    miles) and rode back. Yes, I could feel it in my legs, but
    then my regular cycling at the time consisted solely of a
    twenty mile round trip commute five days a week. I remember
    going into work the next day and people being amazed that
    I'd rode 'all the way to Brighton' and that I wasn't taking
    the day off to recover. I didn't mention the extra eighty
    miles that they hadn't sponsored me for; I didn't want to
    give the poor dears a heart attack - that would be defeating
    one of the objects of the ride, wouldn't it?..

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may
    contribute and benefit.

  11. Robert Bruce said:

    Every time I rode the L-B I also rode to the start (ten
    miles) and rode back. Yes, I could feel it in my legs, but
    then my regular cycling at the time consisted solely of a
    twenty mile round trip commute five days a week. I
    remember going into work the next day and people being
    amazed that I'd rode 'all the way to Brighton' and that I
    wasn't taking the day off to recover. I didn't mention the
    extra eighty miles that they hadn't sponsored me for; I
    didn't want to give the poor dears a heart attack - that
    would be defeating one of the objects of the ride,
    wouldn't it?..

    The last time I did it - 1990 - self and friends /did/
    return by train. We were obliged to queue for so long[1] at
    Brighton station that I reckon we would have gotten home
    quicker riding back.

    1 - Except Wretch Green, who was spirited to the front of
    the queue due to possession of an eight-foot long Kevlar
    Bomb in stead of an ordinary Stan-fearing Bicycle. Bah!

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  12. Quoted post said:

    [i
    could always ride back! [/B]

    This sounds the likeliest plan although I still need to travel from Harrow to Clapham and back. This also probably means sorting out my lights. Oh and also not drinking copious amounts of beer in Brighton................maybe it's not a plan after all.

  13. Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [i could always ride back!

    This sounds the likeliest plan although I still need to
    travel from Harrow to Clapham and back. This also probably
    means sorting out my lights. Oh and also not drinking
    copious amounts of beer in Brighton................maybe
    it's not a plan after all.

    The Bristol tavern more or less directly above the finish
    (on Marine Parade, the road parallel and above Madeira
    Drive) serves a good pint of Harveys or seven.I may make a
    detour there after the South Downs randonee this Saturday.
    Be aware that they won't let you on the train on Monday
    morning either; enjoy ;-) If you do ride back after you will
    be cheered by the car-borne riders on the A23 as you ride
    along the cycleway, and have tins of beer waved out you by
    the coach-borne riders!

  14. Of course you can join in as it on public roads the main
    difficulty will be getting home as SOUTHERN and THAMES
    TRAINS are not allowing bikes on their services.

    The L-B organisers have arranged coaches and lorries for
    travel back to London but you need to buy a ticket for this
    and therefore I suppose you need an official entry.

    Why Why Why can't public transport, mass transport
    20,000 cyclists (lets say 20,000 customers +
    Freight(bikes) to London?

    I think that after the event and the ensuing chaos that
    Alistair Darling resigns as quite clearly public transport
    can not fulfill the requirements of the public.

    davyW

    [email hidden] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to do the l2b ride this year and it would have
    been my first year. I had no idea that you would have to
    apply in March to secure an entry. I will know better
    for next year.

    I don't suppose there are any nice people out there who
    for one reason or another are unable to make it and want
    to help recycle their entries????🙄

    Besides, it's on public roads so they can't stop you
    joining in if that's what you want to do.

  15. [email hidden] (DavyW) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Of course you can join in as it on public roads the main
    difficulty will be getting home as SOUTHERN and THAMES
    TRAINS are not allowing bikes on their services.

    The L-B organisers have arranged coaches and lorries for
    travel back to London but you need to buy a ticket for
    this and therefore I suppose you need an official entry.

    Why Why Why can't public transport, mass transport
    20,000 cyclists (lets say 20,000 customers +
    Freight(bikes) to London?

    1. There are no rakes of luggage vans left anymore?
    2. It's all too much bother for one day?
    3. It has worked before (1997 train strike) and that didn't
    put the riders off? 4, They don't want sweaty bottoms all
    over their nice new 375/377's?

  16. Humpkin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [QUOTE You can enter on the day, honest! (at least you
    could every time I have done it even though have always
    had a number beforehand, there is a tent on Clapham Common
    for this purpose; they will deny it but it is true. ;-)

    Thanks this is fantastic news.

    How did you get on?, saw a few drowned rats at Turner's
    Hill. Amazing the number of riders who despite the forecasts
    brought no wet weather gear and ended up using bin-liners.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.