General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Lodge preseasoned skillet

Started by Doe John · · Last activity · 10 posts · 331 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 May 2005
Last activity
20 May 2005
Original author
Doe John
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
331
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just got a lodge preseasoned skillet and the lid. My question is even
    though it is preseasoned, is it recommended I reseason it? I followed
    the directions: wash with hot water, no detergent, dried with a paper
    towel, and sprayed Pam on the cooking surface, handle , sides and both
    sides of the lid.

    Should I also spray the bottom of the pan and furthermore, should I
    put the skillet into an oven and heat it up, or will the oil spray
    coating be sufficient to protect the surface?

    Thanks

  2. On Thu 19 May 2005 09:09:59a, Doe John wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Just got a lodge preseasoned skillet and the lid. My question is even
    though it is preseasoned, is it recommended I reseason it? I followed
    the directions: wash with hot water, no detergent, dried with a paper
    towel, and sprayed Pam on the cooking surface, handle , sides and both
    sides of the lid.

    Should I also spray the bottom of the pan and furthermore, should I
    put the skillet into an oven and heat it up, or will the oil spray
    coating be sufficient to protect the surface?

    Thanks

    I can't believe that Lodge would recommend using PAM to coat their cast
    iron. PAM becomes gummy and then hardened into a rather unpleasant
    coating. Better your should use solid shortening or lard. Coat every
    surface of the pan, inside and out. Check out this page:

    http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974


  3. Quoted message said:

    I can't believe that Lodge would recommend using PAM to coat their cast
    iron. PAM becomes gummy and then hardened into a rather unpleasant
    coating. Better your should use solid shortening or lard. Coat every
    surface of the pan, inside and out. Check out this page:

    http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html

    My mistake. The instructions actually stated to spray spray-on
    vegetable oil. I only had Pam available. Thanks for the info.

  4. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 19 May 2005 09:09:59a, Doe John wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Just got a lodge preseasoned skillet and the lid. My question is even
    though it is preseasoned, is it recommended I reseason it? I followed
    the directions: wash with hot water, no detergent, dried with a paper
    towel, and sprayed Pam on the cooking surface, handle , sides and both
    sides of the lid.

    Should I also spray the bottom of the pan and furthermore, should I
    put the skillet into an oven and heat it up, or will the oil spray
    coating be sufficient to protect the surface?

    Thanks

    I can't believe that Lodge would recommend using PAM to coat their cast
    iron. PAM becomes gummy and then hardened into a rather unpleasant
    coating. Better your should use solid shortening or lard. Coat every
    surface of the pan, inside and out. Check out this page:

    http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html


    I'll second that about PAM. I've given up on the use of it entirely, tho.
    Dee

  5. "Doe John" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just got a lodge preseasoned skillet and the lid. My question is even
    though it is preseasoned, is it recommended I reseason it? I followed
    the directions: wash with hot water, no detergent, dried with a paper
    towel, and sprayed Pam on the cooking surface, handle , sides and both
    sides of the lid.

    Should I also spray the bottom of the pan and furthermore, should I
    put the skillet into an oven and heat it up, or will the oil spray
    coating be sufficient to protect the surface?

    Thanks

    Gawd, not Pam. It is mostly oil but contains other ingredients that you do
    *not* want on your cast iron pan.

    --
    Peter Aitken
    Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm


  6. Quoted message said:

    Gawd, not Pam. It is mostly oil but contains other ingredients that you do
    *not* want on your cast iron pan.

    Is light olive oil ok to use?

  7. Doe John said:
    Quoted message said:

    Gawd, not Pam. It is mostly oil but contains other ingredients that


    you do

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    *not* want on your cast iron pan.

    Is light olive oil ok to use?

    I've found that vegetable shortening works best for me.

    Good luck,
    Kelly

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, Doe John

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Gawd, not Pam. It is mostly oil but contains other ingredients that you do
    *not* want on your cast iron pan.

    Is light olive oil ok to use?

    Didn't work for me. I'd been using a quick spray, probably Pam, and
    getting a clean drop from my 8-inch cast iron skillet. Hearing all the
    horrors of Pam I switched to a wipe of olive oil and had the center of
    my corn bread stick to the skillet. I suspect the recommendation of
    higher-heat vegetable oil or shortning might be better than olive oil.

  9. On Fri 20 May 2005 05:24:37a, Stark wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Doe John

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Gawd, not Pam. It is mostly oil but contains other ingredients that
    you do *not* want on your cast iron pan.

    Is light olive oil ok to use?

    Didn't work for me. I'd been using a quick spray, probably Pam, and
    getting a clean drop from my 8-inch cast iron skillet. Hearing all the
    horrors of Pam I switched to a wipe of olive oil and had the center of
    my corn bread stick to the skillet. I suspect the recommendation of
    higher-heat vegetable oil or shortning might be better than olive oil.

    When I bake cornbread I always use solid shortening, melted, or some bacon
    drippings. It never sticks.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  10. 3]>
    : "Doe John" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    : news:[email hidden]...
    :> Just got a lodge preseasoned skillet and the lid. My question is even
    :> though it is preseasoned, is it recommended I reseason it? I followed
    :> the directions: wash with hot water, no detergent, dried with a paper
    :> towel, and sprayed Pam on the cooking surface, handle , sides and both
    :> sides of the lid.
    :>
    :> Should I also spray the bottom of the pan and furthermore, should I
    :> put the skillet into an oven and heat it up, or will the oil spray
    :> coating be sufficient to protect the surface?
    :>
    :> Thanks

    : Gawd, not Pam. It is mostly oil but contains other ingredients that you do
    : *not* want on your cast iron pan.

    PAM is lecithin, not vegetable oil...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.