"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Hey Simon, you can't just leave us just because of some people who'd
rather
Quoted message said:be nasty than understand your point.
If I'd been posting at the weekend I'd have defended you. I'd also have
been
Quoted message said:glad to point out that there were lots of rigid bikes at the 100 pound
mark
Quoted message said:in Halfords when I was in there yesterday, so all is not lost.
Enjoy your cycling. Glad we converted you.
unfortunately I've only caught bits of this thread ( a pox on NTL and their eternally flaky DNS);
but having belatedly read it I frankly could not see a problem with Simon's post; particularly as I
agree with his views on *cheap* suspension bikes!
I couldn't see how sending his opinions to a mag presumably read by cyclists is going to *deter*
teenagers or other people from taking up cycling just because they "only want a kewl suspension
bike"! IME Cycling Weekly is (duh!) usually read by those who are *already interested in bikes*
rather than novice cyclists; they would be unlikely to be affected by a comment in the letters page.
Nor is it the case (at least in my city) that suspension bikes are seen as that much more "kewl"
than others.
I regularly go to lots of places where young people are found; on a Dawes Horizon, and no-one there
has dared called me an old grandad yet. Especially when you ride 26 miles for a social occasion and
people 10 years your junior use a car for anything greater than a walk to the shops 🙂 if anything
people seem to think its a "racing bike" of some sort 😉
The only sort of kids who would be taken in by this are 11 year olds who know no better (I would
expect an 11 year old who already read cycling weekly would probably be a junior time triallist or
similar 😉
Simon [M] has contributed a *lot* to this group; it is a sad loss if he does not post here. (and
this is from someone whom Simon originally thought was a troll due to the bizzare way in which I
rediscovered my interest in cycling!) [1]
Alex
[1] this was sorted out amicably; and we both discovered a common interest in bizzarre noises and
5-digit numbers heard on wireless sets 🙂