General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Less and Less LC Food.... Scary

Started by Curt · · Last activity · 34 posts · 973 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 June 2005
Last activity
9 June 2005
Original author
Curt
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
973
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs. I am
    afraid that soon, no LC stuff will be available.

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    Curt said:

    I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs. I am
    afraid that soon, no LC stuff will be available.

    Real food is still low carb. There are a lot of low carb breads. Real
    fruit can fit into a low carb diet plan.

    Susan

  3. I thought you were dead.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs. I am
    afraid that soon, no LC stuff will be available.

  4. A lot of real food is LC. You don't need the prepackaged LC products. And
    fruit certainly does fit into an LC lifestyle. I've been eating fruit,
    mostly berries, since day one. Strawberries are only 8g net carbs/cup. I
    even have half a banana once in a while now that I'm in maintenance.

    Curt said:

    I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs. I am
    afraid that soon, no LC stuff will be available.

    -----
    Bev

  5. Most of the so-called low carb food were loaded with [censored] and sugar
    alcohols anyway. Best stick to the basics: meat, veggies, water!
    BTW, I did get some of those GG's Scandanavian Crispbreads that were
    mentioned in another article and was vastly disappointed. They have
    the texture of a brillo pad and the flavor of cardboard, I'll stick
    with WASA.

    Gweebles

  6. I know what you mean. I had gotten used to the occasional dinner of Ronco
    Low Carb Spaghetti. Others are saying "there's plenty of low carb food
    around" but some companies went the extra effort to add fiber to foods that
    generally are low in fiber...like this spaghetti.

    Pat in TX

  7. Spaghetti is not low carb, idiot.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know what you mean. I had gotten used to the occasional dinner of Ronco
    Low Carb Spaghetti. Others are saying "there's plenty of low carb food
    around" but some companies went the extra effort to add fiber to foods
    that
    generally are low in fiber...like this spaghetti.

    Pat in TX

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Curt said:

    I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs. I am
    afraid that soon, no LC stuff will be available.

    I have no trouble finding all the low carb foods I can possibly eat...

    in the produce section and meat sections, as well as a few in the dairy
    section.

    Yes, I do miss fruit, but if I want something sweet it's easy enough to
    make my own low carb desserts!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  9. Susan wrote:
    :: x-no-archive: yes
    ::
    :: Curt wrote:
    ::: I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    ::: little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store
    ::: that use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all
    ::: gone. Just like 10 items left on clearance as someone else
    ::: mentioned. Being a diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were
    ::: available. I seriously missed fruit, with the availability of
    ::: Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy the flavor or bandanas or
    ::: strawberries etc, without the carbs. I am afraid that soon, no LC
    ::: stuff will be available.
    ::
    :: Real food is still low carb. There are a lot of low carb breads.
    :: Real fruit can fit into a low carb diet plan.

    If they get rid of LC tortillas, I'm moving to the south of France.

  10. "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs.

    I make my own yoghurt - it has virtually no effect on bgs, I even have it at
    breakfast sometimes. I like it savoury best, with just salt and pepper, but
    you can also buy flavourings like banana essence. A trip down the baking
    aisle will amaze you with the number of flavourings available!

    Nicky.

    --
    A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/76/72Kg
    1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
    T2 DX 05/2004

  11. x-no-archive: yes

    Roger Zoul said:


    If they get rid of LC tortillas, I'm moving to the south of France.

    LOL... but why wait for that to happen?? :-)

    BTW, the only bread product I eat anymore is Damascus Flax rollups.
    They're very big, make great surrogate pizza crust and pita substitute
    for hummos, and they taste great.

    OTOH, I can only eat half (110 cal per bread)due to severe calorie
    restriction. Since a sudden illness induced weight loss a few weeks
    ago, I am maintaining my weight (I'd LOVE to lose 10lbs) on an average
    of 950 calories per day. Under 800 looks like the only sure fire avenue
    to weight loss for me.

    Here's a day's menu:

    Breakfast: one egg with two whites, scrambled in Pam. Coffee and 1 oz
    1/2 and 1/2. Or 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt with a few pecan halves
    crumbled in.

    Lunch: 3 oz. tuna in water, either with mixed baby salad greens and
    vinegar or with 1/2 flax rollup

    Snack: 1/2 TBS PB or almond butter

    Dinner: 4 oz. of salmon or chicken or flank steak, big plate of mixed
    baby greens, sauteed broccoli rabe or kale

    Susan <with a hungry look in her eye>

  12. Susan wrote:
    :: x-no-archive: yes
    ::
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::
    :::
    ::: If they get rid of LC tortillas, I'm moving to the south of France.
    :::
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: LOL... but why wait for that to happen?? :-)
    ::
    :: BTW, the only bread product I eat anymore is Damascus Flax rollups.
    :: They're very big, make great surrogate pizza crust and pita
    :: substitute for hummos, and they taste great.

    Intereting. I'll look for those...

    ::
    :: OTOH, I can only eat half (110 cal per bread)due to severe calorie
    :: restriction. Since a sudden illness induced weight loss a few weeks
    :: ago, I am maintaining my weight (I'd LOVE to lose 10lbs) on an
    :: average of 950 calories per day. Under 800 looks like the only sure
    :: fire avenue to weight loss for me.

    Oh my....I can do 950 kcals for about 2 days...after that I'd eat a pig
    alive....

    ::
    :: Here's a day's menu:
    ::
    :: Breakfast: one egg with two whites, scrambled in Pam. Coffee and 1
    :: oz 1/2 and 1/2. Or 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt with a few pecan halves
    :: crumbled in.
    ::
    :: Lunch: 3 oz. tuna in water, either with mixed baby salad greens and
    :: vinegar or with 1/2 flax rollup
    ::
    :: Snack: 1/2 TBS PB or almond butter

    I had to lay off the almond butter. I got to where I could consume an
    entire jar in no time....Imagine that.

    ::
    :: Dinner: 4 oz. of salmon or chicken or flank steak, big plate of mixed
    :: baby greens, sauteed broccoli rabe or kale
    ::
    ::
    :: Susan <with a hungry look in her eye>

    Yeah, try not to think about it! Take up art or needlework. Play horn.

  13. Nicky wrote:
    :: "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email hidden]...
    ::: I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    ::: little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store
    ::: that use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all
    ::: gone. Just like 10 items left on clearance as someone else
    ::: mentioned. Being a diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were
    ::: available. I seriously missed fruit, with the availability of
    ::: Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy the flavor or bandanas or
    ::: strawberries etc, without the carbs.
    ::
    :: I make my own yoghurt - it has virtually no effect on bgs, I even
    :: have it at breakfast sometimes. I like it savoury best, with just
    :: salt and pepper, but you can also buy flavourings like banana
    :: essence. A trip down the baking aisle will amaze you with the number
    :: of flavourings available!
    ::

    Would you mail me some, please? Thx.

  14. Just curious Susan, why such a calorie restriction? Are you THAT
    metabolically resistant?

    Gweebles

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nicky said:

    "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store that
    use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all gone. Just
    like 10 items left on clearance as someone else mentioned. Being a
    diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were available. I seriously
    missed fruit, with the availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy
    the flavor or bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs.

    I make my own yoghurt - it has virtually no effect on bgs, I even have it at
    breakfast sometimes. I like it savoury best, with just salt and pepper, but
    you can also buy flavourings like banana essence. A trip down the baking
    aisle will amaze you with the number of flavourings available!

    Nicky.

    I never thought of using extracts to flavor yogurt, thank you! :-)

    I might start making my own again and do a 36 hour ferment to make it
    lower in carbs.

    Thanks for the idea! Duh! I've used extracts to flavor whipping cream....
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Roger Zoul said:

    Nicky wrote:
    :: "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email hidden]...
    ::: I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food. Little by
    ::: little is is no longer available. I went into a health food store
    ::: that use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods. Now it is all
    ::: gone. Just like 10 items left on clearance as someone else
    ::: mentioned. Being a diabetic. I LOVE all the LC foods that were
    ::: available. I seriously missed fruit, with the availability of
    ::: Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy the flavor or bandanas or
    ::: strawberries etc, without the carbs.
    ::
    :: I make my own yoghurt - it has virtually no effect on bgs, I even
    :: have it at breakfast sometimes. I like it savoury best, with just
    :: salt and pepper, but you can also buy flavourings like banana
    :: essence. A trip down the baking aisle will amaze you with the number
    :: of flavourings available!
    ::

    Would you mail me some, please? Thx.

    Yogurt or extracts/flavorings? :-)

    There really are a ton available here.
    Coconut, orange, lemon, rum, lime, mandarin orange, peppermint,
    spearmint, chocolate, vanilla, just to name the few that I personally
    keep on hand.

    Where are you that you can't get them?

    Google for "Adam's extracts" or extracts for baking. I'm betting you can
    get some on line.

    If not, I'll be happy to mail you some at cost. Since I sell on ebay,
    I'm used to shipping over the pone!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  17. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>,
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Nicky wrote:
    ::::: "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ::::: news:[email hidden]...
    :::::: I have become accustomed to the readily available LC Food.
    :::::: Little by little is is no longer available. I went into a health
    :::::: food store that use to have a whole isle devoted to LC foods.
    :::::: Now it is all gone. Just like 10 items left on clearance as
    :::::: someone else mentioned. Being a diabetic. I LOVE all the LC
    :::::: foods that were available. I seriously missed fruit, with the
    :::::: availability of Dannon LC yogurt, I could enjoy the flavor or
    :::::: bandanas or strawberries etc, without the carbs.
    :::::
    ::::: I make my own yoghurt - it has virtually no effect on bgs, I even
    ::::: have it at breakfast sometimes. I like it savoury best, with just
    ::::: salt and pepper, but you can also buy flavourings like banana
    ::::: essence. A trip down the baking aisle will amaze you with the
    ::::: number of flavourings available!
    :::::
    :::
    ::: Would you mail me some, please? Thx.
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: Yogurt or extracts/flavorings? :-)
    ::
    :: There really are a ton available here.
    :: Coconut, orange, lemon, rum, lime, mandarin orange, peppermint,
    :: spearmint, chocolate, vanilla, just to name the few that I personally
    :: keep on hand.
    ::
    :: Where are you that you can't get them?
    ::
    :: Google for "Adam's extracts" or extracts for baking. I'm betting you
    :: can
    :: get some on line.
    ::
    :: If not, I'll be happy to mail you some at cost. Since I sell on ebay,
    :: I'm used to shipping over the pone!

    Thanks for the offer Om...however, I was not merely interested in the
    flavoring, but also the homemade 'savoury' yogurt, too. Also, I was
    kidding. 🙂

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    gweebles said:

    Just curious Susan, why such a calorie restriction? Are you THAT
    metabolically resistant?

    Gweebles

    I can empathize with her. I've recently had to go below 1,000 kc myself
    to break a weight barrier. It's really not all that hard for me with a
    very busy schedule. ;-) Ice water is so very nice for killing hunger at
    work when it's too busy to take a lunch break!

    I go back up on the weekends sometimes to 1,200 or so but no higher.

    Fluctuating the calories a bit seems to work better.

    I've been keeping a lot of celery on hand and doing tuna salad. <lol>
    That and dill pickles.......

    Low carb, high water/fiber veggies are the real key to keeping very low
    calories as they are VERY filling!

    YMMV...
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  19. x-no-archive: yes

    Roger Zoul said:

    Oh my....I can do 950 kcals for about 2 days...after that I'd eat a pig
    alive....

    Actually, I was starving that week of illness, and my bg ranged from
    64-84. Killed my appetite big time. Once it came back, control was
    better than ever, along with my determination to hang onto the 10lb loss
    from illness.

    Quoted message said:


    ::
    :: Here's a day's menu:
    ::
    :: Breakfast: one egg with two whites, scrambled in Pam. Coffee and 1
    :: oz 1/2 and 1/2. Or 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt with a few pecan halves
    :: crumbled in.
    ::
    :: Lunch: 3 oz. tuna in water, either with mixed baby salad greens and
    :: vinegar or with 1/2 flax rollup
    ::
    :: Snack: 1/2 TBS PB or almond butter

    I had to lay off the almond butter. I got to where I could consume an
    entire jar in no time....Imagine that.

    I just eat what I need to take the edge off of hunger, then leave it alone.

    Quoted message said:


    ::
    :: Dinner: 4 oz. of salmon or chicken or flank steak, big plate of mixed
    :: baby greens, sauteed broccoli rabe or kale
    ::
    ::
    :: Susan <with a hungry look in her eye>

    Yeah, try not to think about it! Take up art or needlework. Play horn.

    I usually don't think about food until I realize I'm very hungry; then I
    eat something small. Dinner of a few oz. of protein and a big salad
    feels hyooooge now.

    I'm going to have to cut the fat so I can get enough protein. :-/

    Susan

  20. x-no-archive: yes

    gweebles said:

    Just curious Susan, why such a calorie restriction? Are you THAT
    metabolically resistant?

    Gweebles

    Yes. :-( :-( :-( Shoot, can't think of another good reason to eat
    like this!

    Susan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.